Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26744
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie" Previous topic | Next topic
95dsmrsprojApr-05-05 05:12 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2003
375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26744, "Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"

Alot of things having to do with my car go through my head all the time...here was 1 that I thought would be of interest to others as well. The weight reduction that is achieved when replacing cast iron rotors with carbon ceramic is more than 50%! That kind of a weight reduction is almost as good as getting extremely lightweight wheels. Imagine being able to have both! (drools) Enough rambling: Anyway I searched for hours to find no solid answer. I emailed the support department of the company that makes the carbon fiber rotors for the Porsche GT2 and whatever other Porsche model they make them for. here is the text for your browsing pleasure...or, rather; disappointment.

I wrote:
Hello, I have searched the entire internet to find a manufacturer of carbon brake disks, and I found you. How does one go about having the disks made for a specific vehicle? Do you have a seperate site for purchasing, or can I speak to someone within your company about this project. If you only make the disks for the Porsche GT models, then please tell me and I will leave you alone, otherwise...I hope I can afford it! I was also wondering if the calipers are replaced with your brake system, and if not, what type of brake pads you would use for these. My specific application is a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (Front disks only) Thankyou.
Best Regards,
Mark

The reply was:
Hello Mark,

At the moment Porsche is the only car manufacturer which has our
carbon-ceramic-brake disks integrated in some models. They are using special Brembo calipers and Pagid pads. We don't have the carbon-ceramic-brakes disks as options or retrofit kits available yet.
As carbon-ceramic brakes require an extensive developement of the complete braking system, a simple exchange of brake disks is not possible. The car manufacturers are all working on the subject carbon-ceramic brake disks and one day in the future they should be available in the aftermarket business.

Regards,

Steph

Check out the link:

http://www.sglcarbon.com/sgl_t/brakedisc/index.html#

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, tim97rs, Apr-05-05 05:46 PM, #1
RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, 95dsmrsproj, Apr-05-05 06:26 PM, #2
      RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, BumpinTalon, Apr-06-05 06:19 AM, #3
           RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, foggy45, Apr-06-05 04:03 PM, #4
                RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, 95dsmrsproj, Apr-06-05 06:30 PM, #5
                     RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-06-05 07:54 PM, #6
                          RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, WickedESi, Apr-07-05 01:49 AM, #7
                               RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, foggy45, Apr-07-05 05:43 PM, #8
                                    RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie, 95dsmrsproj, Apr-11-05 03:26 PM, #9

tim97rsApr-05-05 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4255 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26745, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 0

except that even if they do come out for our cars, you can expect to pay your left nut!

USED TO HAVE...Everything you wish you had, and then some...

You are somebody special Tim, you matter! - from the admins (but nobody likes you, because your username is just like that other guy's, and you whine a lot)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95dsmrsprojApr-05-05 06:26 PM
375 posts,
#26748, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by tim97rs
except that even if they do come out for our cars, you can expect to pay your left nut!

According to my income, I wouldn't have any nuts left...lol

BumpinTalonApr-06-05 06:19 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#26753, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 2

I want a carbon ceramic clutch.. our brakes are pretty good already, but I want the same clutch that can take 24 straight hours of putting 800 horsepower to the ground in a Group C/LMP car. plus, these brakes would be super-expensive. I'm guessin $9k a set, at cheapest.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

foggy45Apr-06-05 04:03 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#26771, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 3

check this company out! http://www.sglcarbon.com/

plus Brembo just anounced that they are going to produce Carbon-Ceramic brakes from their plant in germany! (btw: they DO NOT make the OEM rotors for Porsche!) check the article! http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_brembo_busting_ceramic/

if Brembo can do it for under 7G's i'll be impressed!
black rotors on a black car would look sweet!

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

95dsmrsprojApr-06-05 06:30 PM
375 posts,
#26774, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-06-05 06:32 PM by 95dsmrsproj

They make them specifically for the GT2 and whatever other model since..GT3 etc. Not ALL porsches Oh yeah..the company link is in the bottom of the first post

420a-TnthewerksApr-06-05 07:54 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#26777, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 5

Why the hell would you want them for your everyday DSM? You'd have to sell your car just to put a downpayment on them.

WickedESiApr-07-05 01:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#26778, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah, I don't think you can reasonably justify having brakes that cost more than your car.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

foggy45Apr-07-05 05:43 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#26791, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 7

i think thes are along the same lines as a six-speed sequential transmission for our car. pricy but very trick. its the same reason people look for ceramic impellers or Inconal down pipes for their rides. do we need them? no. are they expensive? yes!
in the end if money were no issue, and we still had our DSM's, we would look for the coolest and most rare parts out there!
this post falls under the catagory of "wouldn't this be cool. . "

and some parts matter more to some people then to others.
just my 2c

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

95dsmrsprojApr-11-05 03:26 PM
375 posts,
#26832, "RE: Anyone who has thought about carbon fiber rotors-lookie"
In response to Reply # 8

LOL. Visions of weight reduction ideas were jumping around in my head. Yeah, too expensive...but maybe one day they'll come up with something cost effective.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26744 Previous topic | Next topic