Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26438
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade" Previous topic | Next topic
got_NXFeb-24-05 08:05 AM
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
225 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26438, "Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"

Has anyone have or heard anyone having problems with rotor seating against hub with these kits? I have them and there is a 1/4" gap between hat and the hub. My hub is beyond clean..so that isn't the problem. I called AEM they don't want to talk to me. Power Slot bought the design from AEM and now they make them. So anyone with any info on these or if you had problems please post.

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, PowerEclipses, Feb-24-05 02:24 PM, #1
RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Feb-24-05 03:03 PM, #2
      RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Mar-07-05 07:54 AM, #3
           RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Mar-10-05 11:30 AM, #4
                RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, Moderatorjuan, Mar-10-05 01:16 PM, #5
                RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Mar-16-05 06:53 AM, #6
                     RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Mar-26-05 03:05 PM, #7
                          RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Mar-28-05 03:24 PM, #8
                               RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Mar-29-05 10:45 AM, #9
                                    RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Mar-29-05 10:52 AM, #10
                                    RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Mar-29-05 01:29 PM, #11
                                         RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Mar-30-05 01:13 AM, #12
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, turbo8u, Mar-30-05 08:54 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Apr-16-05 12:38 AM, #33
                                    RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Mar-30-05 01:16 AM, #13
                                         RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, SonicYan, Mar-30-05 09:37 AM, #15
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Mar-30-05 10:54 AM, #16
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Mar-31-05 01:08 AM, #17
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, SonicYan, Mar-31-05 09:41 AM, #20
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, SilverBullet20g, Mar-31-05 02:11 AM, #18
                                                   RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Mar-31-05 02:54 AM, #19
                                                        RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Mar-31-05 10:19 AM, #21
                                                             RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, Kaoz78, Apr-05-05 12:09 PM, #22
                                                                  RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-06-05 04:56 PM, #23
RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Apr-08-05 10:43 AM, #24
RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-08-05 03:35 PM, #25
      RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, rhui, Apr-09-05 09:20 AM, #26
           RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-09-05 01:12 PM, #27
                RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Apr-11-05 07:49 AM, #28
                     RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-12-05 01:28 AM, #29
                     RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Apr-12-05 07:34 AM, #30
                          RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Apr-12-05 09:15 AM, #31
                     RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Apr-12-05 10:20 AM, #32
                          RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Apr-16-05 12:51 AM, #34
                               RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-16-05 01:14 PM, #35
                                    RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, got_NX, Apr-17-05 12:58 AM, #36
                                         RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-17-05 01:11 AM, #37
                                              RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Apr-18-05 06:11 AM, #38
                                                   RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, MCubed45, Apr-19-05 05:02 PM, #39
                                                        RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade, thedawg, Apr-19-05 06:26 PM, #40

PowerEclipsesFeb-24-05 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26439, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0

the only problem i had was the dust shields rubbing, i had to bend the shit out of them back.

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Feb-24-05 03:03 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#26440, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 1

i had the exact same problem. the shop ended up grinding the hub a bit to get it to seat. sadly it never seated properly and eventually my rotors were warped as fuck. long story short i now i have race concept rotors. AEM's are a waste of money. i was stupid. the whole concept is kinda stupid when you think about it. spacing the caliper farther out to fit an oversized rotor while still using the stock calipers?

the pads aren't even fully on the rotor. how dumb is that. if you want big brakes get a real kit or stick with GSX calipers and upgraded rotors IMO.

-marc

thedawgMar-07-05 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26483, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-07-05 07:57 AM by thedawg

You put the dogbone spacer bracket on backwards.

I have GSX calipers, AEM 12.5" rotors, on a FWD. They fit fine, and are most definitely not a waste of money.

MCubed45Mar-10-05 11:30 AM
2706 posts,
#26502, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-10-05 11:36 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by thedawg
You put the dogbone spacer bracket on backwards. I have GSX calipers, AEM 12.5" rotors, on a FWD. They fit fine, and are most definitely not a waste of money.

no it's not the spacer bracket. this has nothing to do with caliper placement. the hat of the rotor did not seat comletely on my car. he's having the same problem. i'm not sure if it's a manufacturing problem or if it's a model/year difference in our hub assemblies. i posted many times with questions when i was having the problems but got no helpful info. AEM said the same thign to me. i bought my kit from RRE and they weren't too helpful either. they pretty much said "it fit on our cars".

i say if you can't get it to fit perfectly RETURN IT NOW. it'll get worse over time and you'll be out about $350 or so when you have to replace them. even if my kit had worked perfectly, in retrospect i wish i had not gone that route. just the fact that the brake pads are not completely on the rotor seems kinda ridiculous to me. you are DECREASING the contact area. perhaps this is offset by the increased torque created by increased the moment arm but still. when the over hang area of the pad breaks off it will rub against the outer edge of the rotor. this is irritating as fuck.

if you want big brakes get a REAL kit (brembo, wilwood, stoptech, etc). if you're on a budget get GSX calipers and upgraded stock size rotors. i'm sure the AEM kit functions a lot better if you purchase their calipers but at that point you're on the same price level as the other brands.

-marc

ModeratorjuanMar-10-05 01:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#26504, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 4

I have the AEM FWD setup too, and it was actually installed at AEM (since they were developing the v2 CAI on my car at the time).

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with it. They did have to do some grinding (on the hub I guess, I didn't see it). Maybe this is an issue for the AWD setup though - I don't know.

While I have not used this setup on the track, for street driving it was definitely an improvement. Modulation control is increased, allowing one to achieve theshhold braking easier. Unless you do track driving or extreme canyon runs, IMO it is a good solution.

And they look mad kool, yo!

juan

thedawgMar-16-05 06:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26563, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-16-05 06:55 AM by thedawg

Originally posted by MCubed45
the hat of the rotor did not seat comletely on my car.
if you want big brakes get a REAL kit

Are you trying to install the rotors with the OEM dust shields in place? Obviously you have to remove the dust shield, its made to fit around and over a tiny rotor. You do this for ALL 12"+ brake kits.

If the rotor is not seating against the hub, its hitting something. Figure out what. There is zero manufacturing or model year differences, ALL the hubs are the same.

The overhang of the pad in my case was under 1mm. The pad never broke off, and never rubs. Its so thin I can just tear it off with my fingers once the pads are worn down.

MCubed45 I realize you had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean the AEMs are a bad choice. If you can't afford a "real" brake kit like wilwood or stoptech, but want a mid-grade solution, AEMs kit is excellent. Clearly you have higher requirements, and the money to purchase better quality. Not everyone does.

Bottom line: If they dont fit right, you're installing them wrong.

MCubed45Mar-26-05 03:05 PM
2706 posts,
#26672, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-26-05 03:11 PM by MCubed45

yea i know my dust shields were already trimmed. there was nothing else that could possible interfere with the hat seating flush. to emphasize the point i suppose i could remove that hat from the rotor (being that it's a 2 piece design) and then try to mounting just the hat onto the hub...

it's not a problem with the dust shield. it's not a problem with the spacer bracket. trust me i've been over it many many times. it's not a problem with receiving the wrong parts. i verified all the PN's with AEM. with my car the hat simply did not sit flush on the hub even after some grinding and cleaning. it could be forced on with some hammering but that is not something you should have to do.

i'm glad you guys did not have problems but i did. it sounds like this guy is having the exact same problem. if anyone wants to fly out here and prove that i'm a dumbass and just installed it wrong then fine. bottom line is that the product did not fit as it was supposed to on MY car. i would not want to take my chances again with $350 on a product that MIGHT fit. i do not have the money for a high end braking system, but if i had not purchased the AEM's in the first place i would be that much closer to being able to afford one.

i bought raceconcept rotors to replace my AEM's and they slipped on with no problem whatsoever. if it's an isolated problem with my car i would think i would have problems using ANY rotor made for our cars. maybe it's a problem with the manufacturing tolerances of the hats at AEM. maybe it's really the wrong rotor packaged in a box for our cars. i don't know. what i do know is that it did not fit like it should. it's a close fit, but being close when it comes to brakes is not good enough for me.

anyways, telling this guy that you guys had no problems on YOUR cars doesn't really help him much... i had the same experience as him so i'm merely suggesting to him what i wish i had done - return them while you can. do not use them if they do not fit. if you've already checked everything suggested - dust shield, bracket, etc. just save yourself the headache and some warped rotors in the future. do what you go to, but get a refund.

-marc

got_NXMar-28-05 03:24 PM
225 posts,
#26680, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 7

Let me explain this...It has nothing to do with the install. I completely removed dust shield. Now with no dust shield, caliper off car, and all studs removed. I place rotor on to hub and through the stud holes you can completely see that rotor does not seat against hub. There is a 1/4" gap. RRE is working with me on the matter. If no satisfaction there I will seek help from BBB about getting my money back. I purchased a product for my car that is to work and it doesn't, plus since it is something impotant like my breaks it is unsafe to be using.

I also called AEM they told me they no longer make them. Well I could give a shit less that they no longer make them. The ones I have they made so it's there problem. They told me to call power slot who makes them now...guess what power slot change the design. I wonder why?

thedawgMar-29-05 10:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26685, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 8

Neither of you have said what the rotor is hitting that causes the rotor not to seat on the hub.

If you can't see what's interfering with the rotor by looking at it from behind the hub, maybe you could place some modelling clay on obvious things like brackets, hub, wheel studs, suspension arms that it might be hitting.

Its not like the rotor's just floating there in thin air, refusing to mount onto the hub. Something is in the way. Find out what. Post.

MCubed45Mar-29-05 10:52 AM
2706 posts,
#26686, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-29-05 10:56 AM by MCubed45

Neither of you have said what the rotor is hitting that causes the rotor not to seat on the hub. If you can't see what's interfering with the rotor by looking at it from behind the hub, maybe you could place some modelling clay on obvious things like brackets, hub, wheel studs, suspension arms that it might be hitting. Its not like the rotor's just floating there in thin air, refusing to mount onto the hub. Something is in the way. Find out what. Post.

in my case the hat just didn't fit on the hub. as in the hub was slightly too big or the hat was slight too small. it had nothing to do with the rest of the rotor, it was purely an issue with the hat. that's why i mentioned i could probably remove the hat and mount it by itself to prove my point...

i'm not sure how much more specific i can be aside from finding out what part of the inner circumference of the hat is making contact with the hub... if you look very closely inside your hat there is a VERY slight lip. it's right around that area. i have no clue why that lip is there as it does not correspond to the shape of the hub.

-marc

thedawgMar-29-05 01:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26687, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 10

I'll check it out and post pics tonight, im pulling my rotors off, maybe you could just put them on a lathe and machine out the inside of the hat to remove the restriction.

got_NXMar-30-05 01:13 AM
225 posts,
#26688, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 11

Yes the hat is the problem...but the thing is you shouldn't have to modify these things to work...That is my point. People have paid good money for these brakes and the application is to fit our cars. I should of went with the baer kit...do you know the bear kit is selling for 645.00 now? that is a killer price...once I get this problem figured out these things are history. AEM is lucky they have a good wide band o2 because it's probably the last product I will buy from them, after I talked to that as*H#le on the phone. It's no wonder they sold the rights to power slot...power slot knows how to make brake.

turbo8uMar-30-05 08:54 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26690, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by got_NX
...do you know the bear kit is selling for 645.00 now?

where?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

got_NXApr-16-05 12:38 AM
225 posts,
#26909, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by got_NX ...do you know the bear kit is selling for 645.00 now?
where?

Baer kit

http://www.hopupracing.com/bafrtrclbrsy2.html

got_NXMar-30-05 01:16 AM
225 posts,
#26689, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-30-05 01:18 AM by got_NX

Neither of you have said what the rotor is hitting that causes the rotor not to seat on the hub. If you can't see what's interfering with the rotor by looking at it from behind the hub, maybe you could place some modelling clay on obvious things like brackets, hub, wheel studs, suspension arms that it might be hitting. Its not like the rotor's just floating there in thin air, refusing to mount onto the hub. Something is in the way. Find out what. Post.

If you read the posts you would have known we've been talking about the rotor hats...If you read my recent post is says I removed caliper, dust shield, and studs. So now we only are looking at the hub which is clean. Rotor still does not seat...why because hat is to small....

SonicYanMar-30-05 09:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#26691, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 13

Another happy AEM FWD big rotor upgrade person here. That's weird, mine just fit fine after cutting the dust shield and bending it a bit. I think the only problem I had was when the caliper had fitment issues, that's why I had thedawg dremel it out for me. Must be something wrong with that particular hat. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and it seems to be holding up to the abuse...

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

MCubed45Mar-30-05 10:54 AM
2706 posts,
#26692, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 15
Mar-30-05 11:00 AM by MCubed45

lol i still think it's funny how this guy asks for help and everyone posts:

mine fit fine

anyways, it's obvious that there's a problem with quality control as far as these rotors go. i'm happy for you guys that lucked out, but for $350 i do not want a product that is hit or miss.

but yes they do look bad ass when they work

*edit*

oh yea i almost forgot- you hafta grind off part've your caliper for certain installations. that's even more dumb imo. it's only a little bit that hopefully doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the caliper mounting bracket, but still. grinding off part of the bracket right next to the mounting bolt holes seems dumb to me.

-marc

got_NXMar-31-05 01:08 AM
225 posts,
#26695, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 16
Mar-31-05 01:10 AM by got_NX

lol i still think it's funny how this guy asks for help and everyone posts: mine fit fine anyways, it's obvious that there's a problem with quality control as far as these rotors go. i'm happy for you guys that lucked out, but for $350 i do not want a product that is hit or miss. but yes they do look bad ass when they work *edit* oh yea i almost forgot- you hafta grind off part've your caliper for certain installations. that's even more dumb imo. it's only a little bit that hopefully doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the caliper mounting bracket, but still. grinding off part of the bracket right next to the mounting bolt holes seems dumb to me.

I'm not asking for help. I figured this out all on my own they did not fit. I want to know who has these rotors? Did you have fitment problems? If so...I will pursue AEM for what we paid for...bottom line. Did we get what we paid for...no! we got problems...where in the instructions does it say...dremel out hat to make fit? That is my point. I will fight this...I usually win this stupid bitch fights with manufactures.. If you'd like your hats replaced or maybe new rotor kits...I will see what I can do...I just need to know how many sets are there that are going to need replaced.

SonicYanMar-31-05 09:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#26700, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 16

lol i still think it's funny how this guy asks for help and everyone posts: mine fit fine anyways, it's obvious that there's a problem with quality control as far as these rotors go. i'm happy for you guys that lucked out, but for $350 i do not want a product that is hit or miss. but yes they do look bad ass when they work *edit* oh yea i almost forgot- you hafta grind off part've your caliper for certain installations. that's even more dumb imo. it's only a little bit that hopefully doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the caliper mounting bracket, but still. grinding off part of the bracket right next to the mounting bolt holes seems dumb to me.

Well, I'd like to help, but I didn't have that problem. So I dunno how to help him without having that experience. But I really think it might be a quality control issue.

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

SilverBullet20gMar-31-05 02:11 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#26696, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by SonicYan
Another happy AEM FWD big rotor upgrade person here. That's weird, mine just fit fine after cutting the dust shield and bending it a bit. I think the only problem I had was when the caliper had fitment issues, that's why I had thedawg dremel it out for me. Must be something wrong with that particular hat. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and it seems to be holding up to the abuse...

Another happy owner here too..

(parting out 95 GS)

got_NXMar-31-05 02:54 AM
225 posts,
#26697, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 18

MCubed45 (marc) is the only one on the same page as me. Some of you think this is something to do with my install that is not the case. My brakes were the newest design and last design by AEM which they came with slotted rotors. I have come across a couple post where people have had this problem with these. I have not heard back from RRE who is working with power slot who has my rotor. I previously had power slot rotors which fit fine, so they are looking to see what the differences are between inner hat designs.

MCubed45Mar-31-05 10:19 AM
2706 posts,
#26701, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 19

if you're gonna take this up with AEM i'm with you all the way. i kinda just took it as a loss because at the time no one else had the same problem. i still have my fucked up rotors in the garage though. they never seated properly and as a result slowly warped over time to the point where the car would shake anytiem i applied the brakes. when they were first installed there was only a slight pulsing under braking. of course any new rotors should NOT do this.

i now have raceconcept rotors and have had zero fitment or shaking issues for the past half year or so that i've had them on.

-marc

Kaoz78Apr-05-05 12:09 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#26737, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 21

I am a machinist by trade and I can assure you guys from the sounds of things AEM had a lazy machine operator that didn't like to check parts. Some out of tolerance rotors slipped through QC and to you guys they went. I personally would have just fixed them at work, but that isn't an option for most. I deffinately agree with taking this up the chain to AEM themselves if not Powerslot. They bought the business from AEM so in my eyes they also bought the problems with the earlier design and lazy workers.

MCubed45Apr-06-05 04:56 PM
2706 posts,
#26773, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 22

Got_NX, do you think i need to send in my rotors as well? it'd probably help if it's the same people working on the case. lemme know if you want me to contact them or anything.

-marc

thedawgApr-08-05 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26803, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-08-05 11:15 AM by thedawg

Ok, I just took out my rotors and I see two things you could be having probems with.

1) The bolt holding the caliper bracket to the hub. The AEM? bolts I have are just about 1mm too long if you attempt to mount the hub without using the AEM dogbone. They hit the backside of the rotor, preventing it from seating. Solution here would be to remove everything from the hub, including all brackets to test fit.

Pay REALLY close attention to the dogbone. It can be installed 4 ways, only one works. The nipples should face out, and the larger pair of nipples should face away from the hub. You can also see the 1/8" of grinding I had to do to get the GSX calipers to fit. (bright orange rusted patch)

2) The outside of the hub could be rusted enough to keep the hat from fitting over the hub. (also, it could be rusted on the inside of the hat, where the axle nut goes). But I don't see any ridge on my rotors anywhere, its all rounded to allow for slight rusting of the hub. Solution would be dremeling down the rust buildup on the hub.

The tolerances are very close on the hat, but it fits perfectly on all my FWD cars, from 1995-1999, both turbo and nonturbo, talon and eclipse, both with and without ABS. You two must have a very unique hub, the WRONG AEM PART NUMBER?, or a badly out of tolerance (defective) rotor if it really doesn't just mount up. (My part number is 32-5004, stamped on the front, inside rim of the hat.)

Also, here's how badly the pad hangs off the rotor. You can just barely see a stripe of black at the top center of the pad.

I live 5 minutes from RRE and 15 minutes from AEM headquarters. If you guys would like to ship me your rotors, and I can re-create your problem, I'll take them to both companies and show them exactly what the problem is.

MCubed45Apr-08-05 03:35 PM
2706 posts,
#26806, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 24
Apr-08-05 03:44 PM by MCubed45

choice C. badly defective rotor that really doesn't bolt up.

it's not the bracket or bolts, those went of fine without problem. if you don't have a very slight lip on the inside if your hat then we must have a different hat...

*EDIT*

hhaha here's my 2 second paint masterpiece to give you an idea:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/mcubed45/Eclipse/HAT.bmp

-marc

rhuiApr-09-05 09:20 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2002
262 posts,
#26810, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 25

I had problems installing the big aem rotor kit on my brothers 97 tsi talon.

The rotor wouldn't sit properly on the hub...

Ended up machining the little lip inside the aem rotor to make it sit right. took off like 0.01". Then it sat right...

those rotors are a joke, and waste of money.

MCubed45Apr-09-05 01:12 PM
2706 posts,
#26816, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 26

so maybe it's not that we're too dumb to install them then?

lol the plot thickens

-marc

thedawgApr-11-05 07:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26826, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 27

Ok, looking at your diagram, and the .01" out of spec number, your hub is probably just rusted. Sand it down, should take you like 5 minutes.

Or add a 1-2mm spacer between the hub and hat.

Or you could post all over the internet how these rotors are garbage and waste hours complaining to vendors.

MCubed45Apr-12-05 01:28 AM
2706 posts,
#26835, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 28

Ok, looking at your diagram, and the .01" out of spec number, your hub is probably just rusted. Sand it down, should take you like 5 minutes. Or add a 1-2mm spacer between the hub and hat. Or you could post all over the internet how these rotors are garbage and waste hours complaining to vendors.

umm yea i sanded the shit outta the hub and it still - even used a dremel to grind off a bit of the metal. didn't do shit. idk why you find it so hard to believe that maybe some other peoples rotors weren't as perfect as yours.

it wouldn't be the first time in the history of the aftermarket business that a product wasn't everything a manufacturer promised. so you got lucky. we didn't. deal with it. feel free to fly out here and prove me wrong. if not please be quiet.

-marc

got_NXApr-12-05 07:34 AM
225 posts,
#26836, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 29

Please anyone with this problem please contact powerslot! ASAP. And keep posted on forum. My problem in general if you read my post it is the rotor hat. I was able to make hat seat by dremeling out back of hat. This power slot is aware of but not a correct fix, the rotor is out of balance. We got junk rotors made by AEM paid good money for them, we should get what we paid for...a part to fit application w/o modification.

thedawgApr-12-05 09:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26837, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 30

If I can do anything else to help, let me know.

Like I said, I live very close to both AEM and RRE. Powerslot is a bit of a drive, but all 3 companies are local.

Good luck getting your money back.

got_NXApr-12-05 10:20 AM
225 posts,
#26840, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 28

Ok, looking at your diagram, and the .01" out of spec number, your hub is probably just rusted. Sand it down, should take you like 5 minutes. Or add a 1-2mm spacer between the hub and hat. Or you could post all over the internet how these rotors are garbage and waste hours complaining to vendors.

People aren't reading my posts. Did I not say that a cleaned hub off? I can't get it any cleaner...I should just have the damm thing chromed. The rotors are junk....

got_NXApr-16-05 12:51 AM
225 posts,
#26910, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 32

Well RRE got back to me. Well the problem went back on AEM after AEM tried to push it on power slot. On my model rotor I had got the new slotted design. Now the older hats had a sloppy fit and cause uneven wear, so AEM changed the design. It is possible that some of you have cross drilled rotors with this problem with new hat design. The hat will have a small lip inside. This lip is to center the rotor to the hub. From what they tell me that the hubs on our cars vary from the factory and this was a problem for them. This problem went all the way to the president of AEM. Because of application and safety issues AEM is fully replacing my rotors and a friend of mine rotors and custom hats for our hubs. So if you have this problem please contact AEM now.

MCubed45Apr-16-05 01:14 PM
2706 posts,
#26911, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 34
Apr-16-05 01:15 PM by MCubed45

AWESOMENESS1!!!

ya safety might be an issues when the car starts shaking like hell everytime you brake like it did with mine.

anyone specific we gotta contact? i'm so glad i saved those things...

are they only doin replacement or refunds as well?

-marc

got_NXApr-17-05 12:58 AM
225 posts,
#26914, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 35

I think AEM will probably only do replacements.

MCubed45Apr-17-05 01:11 AM
2706 posts,
#26915, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 36

Originally posted by got_NX
I think AEM will probably only do replacements.

k cool...

any specific contact person?

i'll give 'em a call on monday morning.

hmm idk if i should sell the replacement AEM's or sell the race concept rotors i've got now...

-marc

thedawgApr-18-05 06:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26925, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 37

Right on, congrats on getting this resolved. Sounds like the problem is on a very short run of AEM rotor hats that have the centering lip? I have the newer slotted design, but no lip. AFAIK, AEM only sold the slotted design for a few months before selling it to Powerslot.

IMO, sell the AEM replacements, unless you haven't installed the Race Concepts rotors yet either. You'll get more on ebay for a brand new, big name part, than a used one.

MCubed45Apr-19-05 05:02 PM
2706 posts,
#26965, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 38
Apr-19-05 05:02 PM by MCubed45

Right on, congrats on getting this resolved. Sounds like the problem is on a very short run of AEM rotor hats that have the centering lip? I have the newer slotted design, but no lip. AFAIK, AEM only sold the slotted design for a few months before selling it to Powerslot. IMO, sell the AEM replacements, unless you haven't installed the Race Concepts rotors yet either. You'll get more on ebay for a brand new, big name part, than a used one.

hmmm good point. only thing is i'd prolly hafta find a local buyer. i'm kinda wonderin if AEM's gonna cover shipping. those things are HEAVY and shipping to hawaii sucks. maybe i can convince them to do ground shipping. i know that sounds stupid, but yes you can ship ground to hawaii

my brackets an stuff wouldn't be new though... unless they replace those as well.

-marc

thedawgApr-19-05 06:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26966, "RE: Problem with AEM 12.5" rotor upgrade"
In response to Reply # 39
Apr-19-05 06:28 PM by thedawg

ground shipping. i know that sounds stupid, but yes you can ship ground to hawaii

Of course you can.

tinyurl.com/6dqoe

(use satellite view if you don't get it at first.)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26438 Previous topic | Next topic