Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26285
View in linear mode

Subject: "what shocks are good" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonJan-31-05 06:27 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26285, "what shocks are good"

I'm going to be ordering some H&R OE springs soon, and I figured while I'm at it I might as well get some new shocks to go along with them...

My question is what is a good brand/line? I'm going for a really tight suspension setup. I'm not wanting to drop the car much (hence the OE springs).

TIA

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what shocks are good, Talontaxi, Jan-31-05 06:57 PM, #1
RE: what shocks are good, 95_ESi_Person, Jan-31-05 09:27 PM, #2
      RE: what shocks are good, WarnerC, Feb-02-05 07:01 AM, #3
           RE: what shocks are good, Keith2172, Feb-09-05 05:08 AM, #4
                RE: what shocks are good, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-09-05 08:03 AM, #5
                     RE: what shocks are good, Blizare, Feb-09-05 12:55 PM, #6
                          RE: what shocks are good, eclipse_gs_1512, Feb-09-05 03:43 PM, #7
                          RE: what shocks are good, totaleklipse97, Feb-09-05 03:53 PM, #8
                               RE: what shocks are good, 95_ESi_Person, Feb-09-05 07:25 PM, #9
                                    RE: what shocks are good, cyan, Feb-10-05 06:08 PM, #10
                                         RE: what shocks are good, hydrata, Feb-10-05 06:41 PM, #11
                                              RE: what shocks are good, cyan, Feb-10-05 06:56 PM, #12
                                                   RE: what shocks are good, Chamuko, Feb-11-05 06:03 AM, #13
                                                        RE: what shocks are good, 95_ESi_Person, Feb-19-05 11:30 PM, #14
                                                             RE: what shocks are good, PowerEclipses, Feb-21-05 09:23 AM, #15

TalontaxiJan-31-05 06:57 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26286, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 0

Kyb agx's are great along with tokico illuminas. If your looking for a litte cheaper non adjustable go with tokico blues they run like 220$ or so. The kyb's and the illuminas run like 320$. For the extra 100$ or so i'd go with adjustables.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonJan-31-05 09:27 PM
3260 posts,
#26289, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 1

ok.. thanks

WarnerCFeb-02-05 07:01 AM
Member since May 08th 2004
618 posts,
#26310, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 2

illuminas are a good choice if you can afford them, otherwise I'd go with blues.

Don't work for the system, Let the system work for you.

Keith2172Feb-09-05 05:08 AM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#26357, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 3

Hopefully you didn't buy already. Most here that have the Tokico shocks rave about them, most I've heard from that have the AGX's hate them. I have had AGX's on my car for about 8 months. The first month and a half they were awesome, stiff at the high setting, loose at the low setting, and dead center at the middle setting. After that month and a half the difference's weren't as clear, the middle is still the middle but the high setting isn't as stiff and the low setting isn't as loose. Now it's like adjusting to different levels of middle stiffness. Long and the short of it, get something with a weird name (Tokico, Tein, etc.)

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-09-05 08:03 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#26358, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 4

I agree, i have heard the AGX's stink. I have had ilumina's and still have my Koni yellows. both are very comparable. either one wil suit you but i think the Koni's will adjust a little bit tighter.

Terry

BlizareFeb-09-05 12:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#26359, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 5

get tein springs not OEM....

that just sounds stupid to replave the shock/strut with a lowered/high performance unit and leave a mushy ass spring...

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

eclipse_gs_1512Feb-09-05 03:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#26360, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 6

koni yellows.

2007 wrx

totaleklipse97Feb-09-05 03:53 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#26361, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 6
Feb-09-05 03:57 PM by totaleklipse97

Originally posted by Blizare
get tein springs not OEM.... that just sounds stupid to replave the shock/strut with a lowered/high performance unit and leave a mushy ass spring...

hmm he said H&R OE, not OEM!! it's a higher spring rate then stock but without a slammed ride like alot of springs.
EDIT: but to answer your thread.. like most of us you will never really adjust your shocks anyway even though u get the adjustables. I know i want illumina's but how often will you get out of your car and adjust your shocks for a stiffer ride. Just get the Blues and you will be happy. Your not building an all out race car so for daily driving and comfort i'd just choose the blues.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

95_ESi_PersonFeb-09-05 07:25 PM
3260 posts,
#26362, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
hmm he said H&R OE, not OEM!! it's a higher spring rate then stock but without a slammed ride like alot of springs. EDIT: but to answer your thread.. like most of us you will never really adjust your shocks anyway even though u get the adjustables. I know i want illumina's but how often will you get out of your car and adjust your shocks for a stiffer ride. Just get the Blues and you will be happy. Your not building an all out race car so for daily driving and comfort i'd just choose the blues.

thanks aaron! yeah, i'm not going to drop my car too much... the roads in central illinois suck, and I want a stiffer ride without making the aftermarket stuff too obvious. I really appreciate all of your responses..

cyanFeb-10-05 06:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#26366, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 9

koni yellers. i have them...love them. i've run them for 3 years with no piston travel and they still haven't exploded yet. thumbs up!

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

hydrataFeb-10-05 06:41 PM
Member since Sep 11th 2003
512 posts,
#26367, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 10

surprised no one's said we have struts, not shocks.

cyanFeb-10-05 06:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#26368, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 11
Feb-10-05 06:57 PM by cyan

Originally posted by hydrata
surprised no one's said we have struts, not shocks.

i don't

please dont ask me to explain, it's the most ghetto shit you've ever heard of.

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

ChamukoFeb-11-05 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#26370, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 12

actually keeping the stock springs and changing your struts WILL stiffen it up some. I use that term very loosely though.

As for the blues, they are like the 4/5 setting on the illuminas for stiffness. If you want sofeter you can do that with the illuminas, not with the blues.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

95_ESi_PersonFeb-19-05 11:30 PM
3260 posts,
#26413, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 13

when i say springs and shock absorbers I am talking about the individual components...

I may be wrong, but I view a strut as the spring/shock/whole assy as one. I'm talking about individual components of the strut.

I think (in my mind) it's how the components are grouped together... if they are combined it is a strut assy, if they are seperate (like the rear suspension of say a buick) it is a spring and shock absorber.

Maybe this should be titled strut modification, maybe i'm just too drunk right now, I don't know.

PowerEclipsesFeb-21-05 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#26421, "RE: what shocks are good"
In response to Reply # 14

tein's are the best shock for the money imo

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26285 Previous topic | Next topic