Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #2598
View in linear mode

Subject: "How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?" Previous topic | Next topic
RS_GuyJun-01-01 03:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2598, "How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"

'Sup guys...

I really *want* a Quaife LSD, for lots of reasons (stock spider gear will break soon - they all do under lots of power) and for Drag Racing properly!

My mechanic though, told me that my handling would be more unpredictable in wet weather i.e the car would go side ways coming out of a corner if I step on the gas a little or if the LSD locks up for some reason on a slick surface.

Where I live, it snows too. I rarely drive when it snows, but I want to know how bad is it with a LSD?

Basically what I understood from him was that "its like having RWD bad weather handling from the front"...

Please say it isn't so!

Guy
RS_Guy

http://www.GTuned.com

-----
www.GTuned.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-01-01 04:03 AM, #1
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, RS_Guy, Jun-02-01 01:48 AM, #2
      RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, TeamMuRiX, Jun-02-01 02:50 AM, #3
           RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-02-01 03:02 AM, #4
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, ModeratorVX100, Jun-02-01 04:49 AM, #5
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, RS_Guy, Jun-02-01 05:04 AM, #6
      RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, ModeratorVX100, Jun-03-01 02:20 PM, #8
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, Armond30, Jun-03-01 12:46 PM, #7
RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, RS_Guy, Jun-03-01 02:58 PM, #9
      RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?, HadesOmega, Jun-03-01 05:02 PM, #10
      unfortunately, i think I am hehehehe, Armond30, Jun-04-01 03:33 PM, #11
           RE: unfortunately, i think I am hehehehe, TeamMuRiX, Jun-04-01 09:47 PM, #12
                You're a sick guy..., Skrilla, Jun-05-01 09:41 AM, #13
                     RE: You're a sick guy..., TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-06-01 02:17 AM, #14
                          RE: You're a sick guy..., Armond30, Jun-06-01 01:43 PM, #15
                               RE: You're a sick guy..., TeamMuRiX, Jun-07-01 01:41 AM, #16
                                    RE: You're a sick guy..., TeamMichael_97RS, Jun-07-01 03:02 AM, #17
                                    RE: You're a sick guy..., TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-07-01 05:13 AM, #18
                                         RE: You're a sick guy..., TeamMuRiX, Jun-07-01 06:06 AM, #19
                                              RE: You're a sick guy..., RS_Guy, Jun-07-01 01:03 PM, #20

TeamMichael_97RSJun-01-01 04:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2599, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't agree with your mechanic. I think he is confusing the limited slip differential with a Posi-Traction rear-end set up. The limited slip differential should allow the outside wheel to turn faster in a turn as long as it is not ridiculously faster. If you went to a set up like the Phantom Grip, that does more to make it a posi set up. I don't see a limited slip gearing ruining your cornering ability. I wouldn't worry about it I don't see it doing anything but helping.

The only other alternative to somewhat help is to weld the spider gear pin in, that is what normally fails.

I would like one too.. but the $1075 price tag kind makes me cring. Someday...

Snow at Purdue.... never.......

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, AFX UDP, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Intake manifold 4 porting, Rear Motor Mount Ins. RRE FL Tie Bar(Well Almost), Slver Cadmium Plated KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads (Well Almost)

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RS_GuyJun-02-01 01:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#2600, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 1

>I think he is confusing
>the limited slip differential with
>a Posi-Traction rear-end set up.

That's true, that's what I think too. Reading up on Quaife's website, they actually mentioned *improved* traction in wet weather.

>The only other alternative to somewhat
>help is to weld the
>spider gear pin in, that
>is what normally fails.

Yup. The question is, How much will it hold up welded, and if it breaks (welded or not) what will it damage...(apart from the transmission case)..

>I would like one too.. but
>the $1075 price tag kind
>makes me cring. Someday...

I heard of one groupbuy place selling them for possibly cheaper than that, so I'll keep ya guys updated. I am sure that the price they had (about 750-850) was for GSTs, but they said they *might* be able to get it for us... I am still waiting for a reply.

>Snow at Purdue.... never.......

What it should be re-phrased as:
Snow cleared on time at Purdue.... never.......

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

TeamMuRiXJun-02-01 02:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#2601, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 2

Mine is on the way from RRE right now. Bought it Tuesday. I can let you know in July when I get some good driving in on how well it performs.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage IV+ I think
Sitting and collecting dust most of the time..
A.D.P.
http://murix.home.icq.com/index.html

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

TeamJasonESi_TJun-02-01 03:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#2602, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wow...awesome Chris!

You can SHOW us in July....

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

ModeratorVX100Jun-02-01 04:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2603, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Guy, the quaife will only improve the handling, both in wet and dry conditions. Last year's FSAE car at Brown University we used a quaife, and it's a good differential.

We switched to an AP diff because the quaife was more "street friendly" and would slip a little for our light (about 500 lbs) car (it was designed for a street car weighing more than ours), the AP grabbed tighter for our light car, but for our cars the quaife would be the way to go.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

RS_GuyJun-02-01 05:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#2604, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON 02-Jun-01 AT 10:06 AM (PST)

Awesome Todd thanks for the input. What are you teaching in Uni anyway? Is it something automotive related? I remeber you mentioned something like mechanical engineering...

Chris: Looks like you're reaching the point where it's easier to list what mods you HAVEN'T done!

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

ModeratorVX100Jun-03-01 02:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#2605, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 6

I forgot about that, Armond is right, it's all gears, a unique design but effective.

Yea Guy, I teach labs there but for fluids, thermodynamics and chemical processes in engineering, and I work on research projects. I help out with their FSAE team.

BUT, I'm not going to be around there much longer, I'm looking for another job.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Armond30Jun-03-01 12:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#2606, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've had one in my trann fo ra LOOONG time (back when bill's isuzuperformance was the only place that you could get them). it isn't like a regular viscous slip dif. it has screw gears inside of it. it acts just like a regular old open dif.....until you start putting some power to it (i.e. taking off). I rember when I drove my car to miami a year and a half ago right before that year's christmas...I stopped off in jacksonville. I was at a light in light rain (the really slick road stuff) and I wanted to see exactly how the diff woudl act with average slip conditions (where you slip it just enough to usu. bust 1 tire loose). it was wierd. one tire would spin, then the other, then the other ....it was like power was being shifted left to right to left as traction changed. that' swhat it should do. it helps keep control. I think you will have absolutely no problems with yours. as a matter of fact, I know you will becuase you never have to worry about "your diff wearing out". there are NO viscous plates in the thing at all. just gears. pretty neat little thing.........just a major PITA to put that tranny back together.

bring it on...........

RS_GuyJun-03-01 02:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#2607, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 7

Great! Thanks for the input Armond.

Hey, aren't you the first 420A dude to snap and axle due to the Quaife? I am considering going all the way and getting "built" axles too.. Good idea, or not worth it?

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

HadesOmegaJun-03-01 05:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#2608, "RE: How does a QUAIFE LSD change my handling?"
In response to Reply # 9

I think this is what a LSD does. When you corner your differential slips so your wheels don't lose grip so easily. An LSD makes it so that instead of making your differential slip it instead transfers power from one wheel to another. So you car won't loose as much power during cornering. I guess it helps for drag racing by giving your better traction and torque.

95 Mitsu Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Armond30Jun-04-01 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#2609, "unfortunately, i think I am hehehehe"
In response to Reply # 9

everytime I tell people I snapped an axle on street tires with a quaife and a stage 4 clutch in my 420A, they give me a stupid look (you know...the "how the hell do you break an axle with 114 lb ft of torque" look). I still have that axle laying beside my car. axle just couldn't take it. broke the driver side close to the tranny. this was done on toyo proxies fz4's too (probably the SORRIEST performance street tire available). not to mention 18". strengthened axles woudl be WELL worth it....I jauve haven't found any drop in replacements for it yet. I have found a couple of places that said they would "make" me a set......but after sitting on a car that doesn't run for a year, I am tired of being the guniea pig. I would like to just go somewhere and buy a set.

bring it on............

TeamMuRiXJun-04-01 09:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#2610, "RE: unfortunately, i think I am hehehehe"
In response to Reply # 11

I thought the key point you failed to mention was dropping the clutch at 5k with the stiffest damn suspension I have ever seen
This is a big reason to baby your car out on the launch. I figure mid throttle 3k launshes in 1st and then gun it halfway through 2nd and up. I am just worried what the NOS is going to do to it with 25psi

MuRiX
A.D.P.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

SkrillaJun-05-01 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#2611, "You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 12

...thinking about NOS and 25 pound

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamMichael_97RSJun-06-01 02:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2612, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 13

Murix, don't listen to Skrilla... I love the idea of NOS and 25psi. But then again... maybe I'm not normal either...

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, AFX UDP, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17.

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Intake manifold 4 porting, Rear Motor Mount Ins. Silver Cadmium Plated KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads.

Waiting for from RRE: Front Lower Tie Bar, SS Clutch Line.

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Armond30Jun-06-01 01:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#2613, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 14

everybody KNOWS I am not normal hehehehe.

bring it on............

TeamMuRiXJun-07-01 01:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#2614, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 15

It is too late to change my mind. Far from normal, I have already been committed And yes I will be running 25psi and NOS at the shootout. I can not let Armond get too far ahead of me I now have all the necessary toys to do it, except some drag slicks which I need to get. That Quaife will be very necessary. Lets hope I learn how to drive the bastard well enough to cut some 11's and not break an axle.

MuRiX
A.D.P.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

TeamMichael_97RSJun-07-01 03:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#2615, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 16

Ahhh 11's you are my hero!

Injen CAI w/ K&N Breather Filters, AFX UDP, 55mm TB, GS-T Muffler, FU/RU/RL STBs, Front NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., Red Silicone Hose Kit, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Bosch Rapidfire Plugs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17.

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Intake manifold 4 porting, Rear Motor Mount Ins. Silver Cadmium Plated KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads.

Waiting for from RRE: Front Lower Tie Bar, SS Clutch Line.

Firefly:

TeamJasonESi_TJun-07-01 05:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#2616, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 16

OMG Chris...

How in the world are you going to do your fuel system?

Have you been hanging around the likes of Len Ayala or something?!??!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamMuRiXJun-07-01 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#2617, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 18

I have the Accell and 625's now for a start...

MuRiX
A.D.P.
http://www.murix.com

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

RS_GuyJun-07-01 01:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#2618, "RE: You're a sick guy..."
In response to Reply # 19

OOOH Chris is upping the ante!!!!

Hehehehehe well, now that you said 11s you had better RUN 11s... no lame excuses

Also, for all you people out there hoping for faster times that a 14.00........ you all NEED A HELMET!!!!

And I believe that our friend Chris needs a ROLLCAGE! (11.99 or Faster NHRA Rules...) Just trying to help. I want one too.

Be prepared! And remeber NO DYNO RUNS the night before the Shootout!

Guy
RS_Guy

-----
www.GTuned.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #2598 Previous topic | Next topic