Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25438
View in linear mode

Subject: "Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?" Previous topic | Next topic
420AYEOct-14-04 11:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25438, "Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"

I cracked my side skirt on a speed bumper comming into my apartments, and i scrape and i have to back up and go sideways on every driveway. its annoying as fuck, i have to get an air ride.

I like to corner a little, so i think i want air struts. is there any huge advantage to them? i hear somewhere that you can get a front and back air strut setup for 1600. i saw on for 2200 but thats 800 bucks cheaper and im broke as hell. someone show me wher ei can pick up a kit or something for 1500 ish.

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, Pitchblack98, Oct-15-04 03:39 AM, #1
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, eclipse_99rs, Oct-15-04 04:21 AM, #2
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, Pitchblack98, Oct-15-04 05:54 AM, #3
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, Wrath, Oct-20-04 05:52 PM, #4
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, mcgyvr, Oct-21-04 04:00 AM, #5
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, HipHop615, Oct-24-04 09:23 PM, #6
      RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, 420AYE, Oct-24-04 10:12 PM, #7
           RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, 420AYE, Oct-24-04 10:34 PM, #8
RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-25-04 03:22 AM, #9
      RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, widebodied, Oct-25-04 04:33 AM, #10
           RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, optimuspeterson, Oct-25-04 04:30 PM, #11
                RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, 420AYE, Oct-25-04 11:41 PM, #12
                     RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, widebodyeclipse, Oct-28-04 10:49 AM, #13
                          RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?, optimuspeterson, Nov-01-04 11:40 AM, #14

Pitchblack98Oct-15-04 03:39 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25439, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

check EAI (i think thats right) they sell a complete kit for $850. Ive seen their ads in a couple of my car magazine. Ill check when i get home today and make sure thats what they are called and see if i can get you a number or web site for them.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_99rsOct-15-04 04:21 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#25440, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-15-04 04:22 AM by eclipse_99rs

Originally posted by 420AYE
I like to corner a little, so i think i want air struts. is there any huge advantage to them? i hear somewhere that you can get a front and back air strut setup for 1600. i saw on for 2200 but thats 800 bucks cheaper and im broke as hell. someone show me wher ei can pick up a kit or something for 1500 ish.

They're not a performance upgrade, Infact they suck performance wise making the car wishy-washy.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

Pitchblack98Oct-15-04 05:54 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2003
1691 posts,
#25441, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 2

I had air ride on mine and it was a little floaty feelin at first... but i put the awd sway bar in the rear and a sprint swaybar in the front and it made a night and day difference I couldnt do the side to side with it anymore cause the swaybars wouldnt let me.

If you plan on autocrossing or any type of road racing then i wouldnt suggest it. as for just straight line drag racing it wont really hurt anything. You will probably have bad squat at launch... but just lift the rear and max out the air pressure in the struts and your squat will be gone. youll look like an idiot in front of everyone, but it fixes that problems... haha

WrathOct-20-04 05:52 PM
Member since Oct 20th 2004
1 posts,
#25492, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 0

o.k. you wanna put air on your eclipse well let me tell you a few things if you drag or street race you cant i mean you can drag but you will get really bad take off because of the bounce. "hackshack.com" makes a kit dont know exactly how much it is I pieced my kit together and saved about 500.00 you will want to have all wheel independent that way you dont get really bad body roll around corners another thing is air ride is for cars to go low right well I put the kit on and had to cut my rear brackets because it didnt go very low but got hell of lift so I cut 3" off the back brackets it can brake a cylinder in half if you bounce it around really fast but it does work and it gets hella low just some things to let you know but I put air on my eclipse and it rides just fine any questions email me I will be more than happy to help

mcgyvrOct-21-04 04:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#25495, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 4

you can get a great ride with air struts/bags you just cant buy the cheap crap.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

HipHop615Oct-24-04 09:23 PM
Member since Sep 14th 2003
2333 posts,
#25516, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 5

I always heard its the worst thing u can do for your daily driver....and that u always have to be replacing stupid shit all the time...am i wrong?

Turbo8u - "Iv'e never heard so many BOV's in my life at once..." (At So. Cali Meet-Up Sep. 25th)

Parts 4 Sale:

NEW C-Wings Carbon Fiber Double Sided TD3000GT Hood - $350 OBO (Problem with Underside)
VIS Xtreme GT CF Hood - $390 OBO
Single 12" Sub Box - $15 OBO
95 Heater Core - $35 Shipped OBO
97-99 Eclipse Reverse Lights - $45 Shipped OBO

Just Ask Q's & Make Offers (IM IN SO. CALI) HipHop615@yahoo.com

420AYEOct-24-04 10:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#25517, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 6

i heard if you buy a nice kit, that doesn't happen. A friend of mine knows where to get air installed for about 900 bucks, including parts. does this sound realistic?

Also, If someone can point me in a good product review or website, brand name, anything. i have visited hackshack, and i came up with not much after searching eai. i want someoplace i can actually buy one. i live in phoenix if anyone here local knows a place.

Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.

420AYEOct-24-04 10:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#25518, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 7

http://airbagit-store.com/product_list.asp?id=2143

Ok, i was actually able to find these without too much trouble. They make two other kits. They on the other hand have steele fittings, and is more than likely what im going to want i would assume if i am going to use my suspension every time i pull up to a parking lot... what do you guys think? which one would you pick if you were a budget consumer, YET, quality is important.

AdministratorCODE4Oct-25-04 03:22 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#25519, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Wrath
o.k. you wanna put air on your eclipse well let me tell you a few things if you drag or street race you cant i mean you can drag but you will get really bad take off because of the bounce. "hackshack.com" makes a kit dont know exactly how much it is I pieced my kit together and saved about 500.00 you will want to have all wheel independent that way you dont get really bad body roll around corners another thing is air ride is for cars to go low right well I put the kit on and had to cut my rear brackets because it didnt go very low but got hell of lift so I cut 3" off the back brackets it can brake a cylinder in half if you bounce it around really fast but it does work and it gets hella low just some things to let you know but I put air on my eclipse and it rides just fine any questions email me I will be more than happy to help

This hurts my eyes.

---

2012 2500HD LML

widebodiedOct-25-04 04:33 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
#25520, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by Wrath o.k. you wanna put air on your eclipse well let me tell you a few things if you drag or street race you cant i mean you can drag but you will get really bad take off because of the bounce. "hackshack.com" makes a kit dont know exactly how much it is I pieced my kit together and saved about 500.00 you will want to have all wheel independent that way you dont get really bad body roll around corners another thing is air ride is for cars to go low right well I put the kit on and had to cut my rear brackets because it didnt go very low but got hell of lift so I cut 3" off the back brackets it can brake a cylinder in half if you bounce it around really fast but it does work and it gets hella low just some things to let you know but I put air on my eclipse and it rides just fine any questions email me I will be more than happy to help
This hurts my eyes.

second that, catch me on aim if you want some real advice on it, 90% of the info in this thread is bullshit

DWAYNE H
95 widebody eclipse
92 Awd Talon
03 G35 coupe Sold- missed
96 chevy lumina
00 yamaha R1

Originally posted by etx(SIUECLIPSE)
Yeah right. He is making 380fwhp with ebay hoses and the HRC 2.25" clamp on downpipe attached to his stock exhaust. And a SFMU, LOL! You should be maimed and beaten you fucking liar.

optimuspetersonOct-25-04 04:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#25530, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 10

you will ride fine on air as long as it isn't all the way up or all the way down. You could get just a set of air rods and make your own brakets or i'm sure there are kits out there with premade brackets/air rods for an eclipse. Once you have the struts installed everything else related to it is just a matter of figureing where to put the tank/valves/compressors.

This was the truck i just sold so I have an idea what i'm talkin about

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

420AYEOct-25-04 11:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#25535, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 11

someone, pleeease enlighten me.

widebodyeclipseOct-28-04 10:49 AM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
535 posts,
#25556, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 12

been runnin them for about 4 years. i have had about 4 different set ups on the car. first dont buy anything fro cain, owner of eai. hes kind of an arrogant dick. contact aim industries, they have been in the air ride ind for quite some time and they make kits for just about everything. you do want 4 corner control so it doesnt ride like a boat. also they sell the accumulators, acts as a shock absorber, helps soften the ride. also get the electric valves much faster and easier to mess with. call aim and they will set u up with some good advice. dont buy the cheap shit, trust me it will bite you in the ass. oh yeah spend the extra money on a 100 % duty cycle compressor. here in the midwest playin with the switches in the summer caused the smaller ones to shut down. not good.
hope this helps

optimuspetersonNov-01-04 11:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#25586, "RE: Air Struts. Anyone know a damn thing?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by widebodyeclipse
been runnin them for about 4 years. i have had about 4 different set ups on the car. first dont buy anything fro cain, owner of eai. hes kind of an arrogant dick. contact aim industries, they have been in the air ride ind for quite some time and they make kits for just about everything. you do want 4 corner control so it doesnt ride like a boat. also they sell the accumulators, acts as a shock absorber, helps soften the ride. also get the electric valves much faster and easier to mess with. call aim and they will set u up with some good advice. dont buy the cheap shit, trust me it will bite you in the ass. oh yeah spend the extra money on a 100 % duty cycle compressor. here in the midwest playin with the switches in the summer caused the smaller ones to shut down. not good. hope this helps

I disagree with going with aim. I have had one friend not get half his shit from them and another one has their air struts and 3 out of 4 of them now leak (1-2 years old) and they aren't leaking through any of the fittings or lines, we've checked multiple times. The valves they also sold him kept breakin a plastic washer/spacer (or some kind of plastic piece inside). He had a metal piece machined to replace in each of 4 valves (3-way valves) and they still did the same thing.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25438 Previous topic | Next topic