Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25249
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!" Previous topic | Next topic
reaxionSep-23-04 04:25 PM
Member since May 07th 2004
77 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25249, "HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"

Im driving to school today, and my freaking power steering goes out!
Any ideas? I was supposed to change my tie rods a while ago, does this have anything to do with it?

build what you want.

'98 GS SOLD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, Talontaxi, Sep-24-04 11:51 AM, #1
RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-24-04 05:07 PM, #2
RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, bullox, Oct-01-04 04:16 PM, #3
      RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, AndrewESi_T, Oct-03-04 09:53 PM, #4
           RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, SILVERNT, Oct-04-04 04:53 AM, #5
                RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, brokenrodguy, Oct-04-04 06:53 AM, #6
                RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, kelvinb1, Oct-04-04 09:50 AM, #7
                     RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, reaxion, Dec-20-04 04:51 PM, #8
                          RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-21-04 03:45 AM, #9
                               RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, MCubed45, Dec-22-04 12:36 PM, #10
                                    RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-22-04 01:01 PM, #11
                                         RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-23-04 11:22 AM, #13
                RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, turbo8u, Dec-23-04 08:01 AM, #12
                     RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, blckeclipse95, Dec-23-04 12:17 PM, #14
                     RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, EazyE, Dec-28-04 08:56 AM, #15
                          RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, MCubed45, Dec-28-04 12:38 PM, #16
                               RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, reaxion, Feb-23-05 04:25 PM, #17
                     RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!, sinesis333, Feb-23-05 06:00 PM, #18

TalontaxiSep-24-04 11:51 AM
Member since Jul 14th 2004
201 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25257, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 0

Does your ac work? If not check the belt. If the belt is still on and intact then check your power steering fluid. If all is well there then the my finger is pointing to the pump itself. And if you can still steer then your tie rod ends are not the culprit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Sep-24-04 05:07 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#25258, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by reaxion
Im driving to school today, and my freaking power steering goes out! Any ideas? I was supposed to change my tie rods a while ago, does this have anything to do with it?

If you were supposed to change your tie rods a while ago, it is not very smart to continue driving your vehicle. First, look to see if there is still a belt there, second check the fluid level. If both check out, you may have a problem with either the pump or the rack.

---

2012 2500HD LML

bulloxOct-01-04 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#25320, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
First, look to see if there is still a belt there, second check the fluid level. If both check out, you may have a problem with either the pump or the rack.

Exactly. Did you hear a loud 'snap' that coincided with the loss of power steering? I would assume that is the issue. Just take a peak in there.

AndrewESi_TOct-03-04 09:53 PM
Member since Sep 03rd 2004
130 posts,
#25338, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 3

haha...ive heard that SNAP...its not a pretty noise...

Andrew
swift1013@hotmail.com

SILVERNTOct-04-04 04:53 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#25339, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 4

whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either

brokenrodguyOct-04-04 06:53 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2004
556 posts,
#25340, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 5

My tensioner pully decided to cut through my pressure line so that mite be it. Autozone wants $25 for a new 4 inch hose so I just cut a foot off from the 50 psi bulk hose for 99 cents and went on with my day

kelvinb1Oct-04-04 09:50 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#25341, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 6

get a tighter belt to move your tensioner pulley in closer. i had the same problem

reaxionDec-20-04 04:51 PM
77 posts,
#25970, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 7

my belt snapped...thats what it was. it was already cracking from old age.

I have a new one...how do I set the tension on the pulley? do I just tighten the nut on the back of the pulley?

build what you want.

'98 GS SOLD

AdministratorCODE4Dec-21-04 03:45 AM
2552 posts,
#25972, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 8

Considering you know about the search function and buy a chiltons option, I will say this because I am feeling generous this morning.

Standing in front of the engine bay, you must first losen the nut (14mm) on the back of the tensioner pully. Only need to loosen it a couple turns. Then there is a worm drive bolt (14mm I believe as well) that faces the radiator. Tighten this bolt to draw the tensioner pulley toward the motor (tighteninng the belt overall) or loosen the bolt to back the tensioner pulley out (so you can first get the new belt on). And as for proper tension of the belt, I am not going to go into that. If you have not changed belts before, I cannot describe the feel and deflection of the belt you should be looking for. Buy the chiltons, it is better described there for the home mechanic. Good luck.

---

2012 2500HD LML

MCubed45Dec-22-04 12:36 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#25987, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 9
Dec-22-04 12:38 PM by MCubed45

were you asking ho to set the tension on the pulley or the belt?

the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to. loosen the bolts on the pump and put the belt on. get a crow-bar or similar object and wedge it between the pump and the bracket. push the pump as far foward as you can (towards the front of the car). then tighten the bolts.

hope it was just the belt for you. when my belts went out part of the PS/AC belt wrapped arouned the pump and caused it to leak. i needed a new pump. it sucked.

-marc

AdministratorCODE4Dec-22-04 01:01 PM
2552 posts,
#25988, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by MCubed45
the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.

What in the world are you talking about? The Power Steering pump does not pivot. The tension is set by the manual belt tensioner pulley.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-23-04 11:22 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#26001, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by MCubed45 the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.
What in the world are you talking about? The Power Steering pump does not pivot. The tension is set by the manual belt tensioner pulley.

Actually man i does pivot a little about 3 inches. Thats how the cheap individuals who dont want to replace the tensioner bearing, remove the tensioner and still maintain power steering/AC.

96 Eagle Talon ESI....Daily driver

97 Eclipse.........

turbo8uDec-23-04 08:01 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26000, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by SILVERNT
whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either

that sucks man

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

blckeclipse95Dec-23-04 12:17 PM
Member since Aug 10th 2003
389 posts,
#26002, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by SILVERNT whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either
that sucks man

I have dont have both also, and yes it does suck

USMC Semper Fi

EazyEDec-28-04 08:56 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2004
37 posts,
#26013, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 14

i just replaced my ps/ac belt on christmas eve, mine just ripped in half when i was leaving work wednesday. what sucked was it was pouring rain and i havent drove a car with no power steering, only my truck which was a piece cake as soon as you moved. I feel sorry for you guys with out it, its a work out after awhile to turn our heavy cars.

MCubed45Dec-28-04 12:38 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#26014, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by MCubed45 the PS/AC belt it tightened by the power steering pump. it pivots on the bracket it's mounted to.

ya it does. i never messed with the tensioner pulley when i replaced my belt and pump. seems to me that tightening the belt with the pump would be easier. ya just stick a crow bar in and tighten the bolts

-marc

reaxionFeb-23-05 04:25 PM
77 posts,
#26432, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 16

finally figured out what it was...took apart the tensioner assembly one night. seems the bolt that sets tension twisted in 2 compeltely different directions and then threw the belt. fun stuff. I called one dealer, you can get the bolt for around 30 bucks. called another dealer, said they only sell the kit which runs for 100 bucks more. damn you satan. yes, its dealer only. unless you go get one from a junkyard.

build what you want.

'98 GS SOLD

sinesis333Feb-23-05 06:00 PM
Member since Apr 02nd 2002
474 posts,
#26436, "RE: HELP!!!! POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by SILVERNT whats power steering? or this AC you speak of, i dont have either
that sucks man

Don't feel pity for him.....you know that's by choice.

~E~ 1999gs
AEM C.A.I./GS-T exhaust/Magnecore wires/Iridium Ngk's/Custom mesh Grill/Upper F/R strut tower bars/TB bored to 55mm/AFX UDP

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25249 Previous topic | Next topic