Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25197
View in linear mode

Subject: "wheel repair, worth it???" Previous topic | Next topic
wite96gsSep-16-04 09:55 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25197, "wheel repair, worth it???"

what do you all think, $150 per wheel to get them straightened, powder coated, and balanced. I've been having an impossible time trying to find good stock replacement wheels, so I'm considering just getting mine fixed up. I like my stockers alot that's why I haven't gone out looking for aftermarket ones. so what would you do???

TIA, Don

p.s. I have the same wheels that are on the picture of the eclipse on the main page

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: wheel repair, worth it???, EvMan2345, Sep-16-04 09:57 AM, #1
RE: wheel repair, worth it???, wite96gs, Sep-16-04 01:04 PM, #2
      RE: wheel repair, worth it???, madhatter210, Sep-16-04 03:57 PM, #3
           RE: wheel repair, worth it???, injendsm, Sep-16-04 04:16 PM, #4
                RE: wheel repair, worth it???, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-16-04 06:35 PM, #5
                     RE: wheel repair, worth it???, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-16-04 08:13 PM, #6
                          RE: wheel repair, worth it???, wite96gs, Sep-18-04 05:57 AM, #7

EvMan2345Sep-16-04 09:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25198, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 0

if it was me- i would upgrade. i know you said you like your stockers but your talking about 600ish. For like 800 you can get new rims, new tires shipped, ready to put on. Plus it'll change the look of the car.

Evan B
97 GS
90 GSX
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

wite96gsSep-16-04 01:04 PM
365 posts,
#25201, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 1

yah, I know what you mean. the wheel can really make the car. One thing I forgot to mention though, was that I only have maybe 3500 miles on my tires, so they are pretty new still. if do end up going with an aftermarket wheel, it's going to be a 17"er and a hair wider too if i can. and these newish tires are going to be hard to get rid of

madhatter210Sep-16-04 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#25202, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 2

I know powder coating is way better than painting but for 30 dollars a wheel I painted them myself and have about 5000 miles on them since and I only have 2 very small chips one I hit it with a ratchet and the other must of been a stone.They have like 7 coats of satin clear on each one.

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

injendsmSep-16-04 04:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
#25203, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 3

600 to replace all four wheels? you might as well upgrade to some aftermarket rims. www.wheelmax.com has plenty of 17" wheels that look damn good for 700.

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-16-04 06:35 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#25204, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder coating rims coasts roughly 200.00 a set. thats what shops around IL charge for a full set. Balencing is like 8.00 per rim at any tire shop unless you have the lifetime balence at discount tire.

Sounds like you are getting taken...go aftermarket or find a stock set for cheap.

Terry

95_ESi_PersonSep-16-04 08:13 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#25205, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Balencing is like 8.00 per rim at any tire shop unless you have the lifetime balence at discount tire.

Gotta love their service.

wite96gsSep-18-04 05:57 AM
365 posts,
#25214, "RE: wheel repair, worth it???"
In response to Reply # 6

most of the cost would be for straightening them out, one of the wheels has some nasty curb rash, and two more are just plain out of round. I think that getting them straight again is probably pretty labor intensive. as it is, since it is supposed to rain today and tomorrow and I won't be able to work on my car, I am going to go do some window shopping at some local rim shops around here.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #25197 Previous topic | Next topic