Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24726
View in linear mode

Subject: "need help/advice/explaining please" Previous topic | Next topic
FlyinEsiJul-11-04 07:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24726, "need help/advice/explaining please"

Guys, I am having a real problem with either my suspension setup, or my tires. I bought some 18x8 HP Racing EVO wheels with 235/40 rubber. I also installed Apex'i World Sport coilovers. The car is dropped about 1.5-2.0" and the wheels sit perfectly flush with the body. I took the car on a road trip and on the interstate, on bumps for bridges, or waves in the road the weight of the car would come down on the suspension and the tires would rub on the fender and the fender lip. The lip started shreadding my brand new tires but the tire rubs on the fender too...soooo

I am thinking about selling the Apex'i coilovers or the rims/tires. I am thinking I need a stiffer suspension. I was looking at the H&R springs with a Koni sport adjustable shock, but I don't know if this will give me a stiffer ride. Is it the spring that gives the stiffness, or the strut, or both???

I don't know much about suspension, but I know I need the car to not flex at all. I need it to be stiff as a rock. Is this possible? Or should I just sell the rims and get somethign with less offset?

Thanks for the help!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: need help/advice/explaining please, Kaoz78, Jul-11-04 08:07 PM, #1
RE: need help/advice/explaining please, mcgyvr, Jul-12-04 04:10 AM, #2
      RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-12-04 04:26 AM, #3
           RE: need help/advice/explaining please, Chamuko, Jul-12-04 05:59 AM, #4
                RE: need help/advice/explaining please, EclipsedChef, Jul-12-04 08:20 AM, #5
                     RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-12-04 10:39 AM, #6
                          RE: need help/advice/explaining please, Chamuko, Jul-12-04 11:38 AM, #7
                          RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-12-04 01:00 PM, #8
                               RE: need help/advice/explaining please, TeamAvenger, Jul-12-04 01:16 PM, #9
                                    RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-12-04 01:56 PM, #10
                                         RE: need help/advice/explaining please, TeamAvenger, Jul-13-04 03:43 AM, #11
                                              RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-13-04 04:15 AM, #12
                                                   RE: need help/advice/explaining please, mcgyvr, Jul-13-04 06:34 AM, #13
                                                        RE: need help/advice/explaining please, TeamAvenger, Jul-13-04 06:37 AM, #14
                                                             RE: need help/advice/explaining please, mcgyvr, Jul-13-04 06:44 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: need help/advice/explaining please, FlyinEsi, Jul-13-04 11:09 AM, #16
                          RE: need help/advice/explaining please, PhenixTalon, Jul-15-04 11:06 AM, #17

Kaoz78Jul-11-04 08:07 PM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24727, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 0

Springs on coilovers usually always have a higher rate than stock. I would say you probably have too much offset. Have you rolled the fenders? I know this is usually a mod for people with 19's, but you may save yourself some hassle and tires too. Or you may have to sale those wheels and tires and get something with a smaller offset.
What is the offset?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrJul-12-04 04:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#24728, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 1

roll the fenders

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

FlyinEsiJul-12-04 04:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24729, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-12-04 04:30 AM by FlyinEsi

the spring rate on the coilover springs are higher than stock, but what about on aftermarket springs. I'm looking at H&R springs with Koni Sport struts. If I adjust the struts to the stiffest level possible, will this help??

I don't think rolling the fenders is going to help. Like I said, the wheels are not only rubbing on lip inside the fender, but on the actual fender well itself. I might try rolling the fenders first, but I really don't think this is going to help.

Also, could I just buy the koni sports and ride back on my stock springs? Or do I need to buy a replacement strut to go with the stock springs?

ChamukoJul-12-04 05:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#24730, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 3

Damn. Diff wheel then. that or cut em and go ghetto with fender flares to cover the cu off parts lol.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

EclipsedChefJul-12-04 08:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
987 posts,
#24731, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 4

why dont you raise the car up a bit?

Aem Cold Air AFX 55mm TB
Fidanza Cam Gears NGK Wires
AFX UDP Greddy Header
Gutted Cat Greddy Evo Catback
Energy Suspension MMI Eibach Sportlines
Tokico Blues...always more to come

FlyinEsiJul-12-04 10:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24732, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 5

the car is raised all the way up on the coilovers. It doesn't matter. Still rubs. But doesn't on my stock wheels that I'm running on again.

Do you think my problem will be solved with a 1.6 drop on H&R springs with stiffened Koni struts??? Or should I just get different wheels?? I really don't want to buy a new suspension setup just to find out I still have the problem

ChamukoJul-12-04 11:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#24733, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 6

from the way that you describe it . It sounds like the wheels to me. I could be wong though.

What IS the offset on your rims?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

FlyinEsiJul-12-04 01:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24734, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 7

+40 on a 18x8 and 235/40 rubber

Please guys, let me know if I am just wasting my time selling my coilovers.

TeamAvengerJul-12-04 01:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#24735, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 8

That doesn't sound right to me. An aftermarket coilover setup would have a higer spring rate and damper. If the struts on the coilovers are adjustable I would raise damper. Make it as stiff as possible. It may just be set too low (my teins look like they are blown if I put the damper on the lowest setting ... bouncing everywhere). Are they used? It could be that one of them is blown causing the excessive travel.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

FlyinEsiJul-12-04 01:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24736, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 9

they are brand new, but the strut is not adjustable

TeamAvengerJul-13-04 03:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#24739, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 10

That just doesn't make sense. Is this coilover setup come with upper pillow mounts and bump stops or do you have to take them off your stock setup first. Only other things that I can think of would be that it is a bump stop issue where the they are either messed up or missing.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

FlyinEsiJul-13-04 04:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24740, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Avenger
That just doesn't make sense. Is this coilover setup come with upper pillow mounts and bump stops or do you have to take them off your stock setup first. Only other things that I can think of would be that it is a bump stop issue where the they are either messed up or missing.

This setup uses the stock upper mounts and bump stops (I think I know what you are talking about with bump stops)

mcgyvrJul-13-04 06:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#24741, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 12

#1 I think you can adjust the coilovers higher, I doubt they sell a coilover setup that cant be adjusted to stock height.but still
#2 you need to just get the correct bumpstops (you will probably have to order some from apexi which Im sure they sell them (not stock replacements,aftermarket bump stops will fix your problem), that will allow you to use everything you have and just hit the bump stops instead of bottoming out the wheel on the well. which is really how it is supposed to work.

so just get aftermarket bumpstops and your all set.
the bumpstop is a cylinder like piece of rubber/foam that mounts on the shock rod between the shock body and the topmount.

Mods are:
Not enough

TeamAvengerJul-13-04 06:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#24742, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 13

Another thing to check is that the bump stops do not slide all the way down to the valve body. They should be a good distance up on the shaft. It is possible that the bump stops just have too much wear on them and are just sliding all over the place.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

mcgyvrJul-13-04 06:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#24743, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 14

the bump stops CAN just slide up and down, thats fine, Its a matter of them being TOO short to do any good. they will always slide up and down the rod, thats just fine cause the top hat will slam them back down to the actual body of the shock when they are needed.
YOU NEED TALLER BUMPSTOPS AND TO LEARN HOW TO CORRECTLY ADJUST YOUR COILOVERS

Mods are:
Not enough

FlyinEsiJul-13-04 11:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#24746, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 15
Jul-13-04 11:10 AM by FlyinEsi

Originally posted by mcgyvr
the bump stops CAN just slide up and down, thats fine, Its a matter of them being TOO short to do any good. they will always slide up and down the rod, thats just fine cause the top hat will slam them back down to the actual body of the shock when they are needed. YOU NEED TALLER BUMPSTOPS AND TO LEARN HOW TO CORRECTLY ADJUST YOUR COILOVERS

Please check your PM's.

Where do I get longer bump stops, and what the hell could I possibly have done to be adjusting the coilovers incorrectly???

Please teach me, I'm new to this suspension stuff.

PhenixTalonJul-15-04 11:06 AM
Member since Jul 13th 2004
1 posts,
#24764, "RE: need help/advice/explaining please"
In response to Reply # 6

"Phenix will rise form the ashes, faster and stronger than ever before!"

Although I have not actually upgraded my suspension yet, I am about to start as soon as the rest of my parts and new 18 X 7.5 Devino wheels with Kumho 712 225/40/18 tires arrive. However, I have done alot of research before shelling out this much cash, and from this I offer my humble opinion for your consideration.

It sounds like a tire sizing problem. The 18X8 (assuming that you have at least a 40mm+ offset) with the 235/40/18 tires would have been fine if you had not lower your car. However, you did and that is a good mod. (However, from what I have read, lower it more than a 1.5" puts alot of stress on the drivetrain. The Eibach Pro Kit is a good spring that give you about 1.3" drop) Back to the tires, there are two things that you need to do:

1. You need to go to 225/35/18 tires. This will increase you clearance to the suspension.
2. Roll you fenders, probably need this done at a body shop or by someone who is experience and has the right tools.

If you have not done so, check your chamber. Lowering a car causes the wheel chamber to go negative, i.e. the wheel angles in toward the suspension. Lowering your DSM more than 1.5" will required to you to replace the factor 'non-adjustable chambers' adjustments with an adjustable chambers like Ingalls etc. I hope this helps.

PhenixTalon

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24726 Previous topic | Next topic