Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24238
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 08:05 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24238, "Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
Jun-04-04 08:06 AM by XtremeRS

Ok, this is pretty messed up...I got the dual piston GSX front calipers, and rotors for a 98 GSX. Got it all bolted up, and the rotors were not the right size..they were *around* 1/16" wider, and the same smaller in diameter..(the rotor actually just barely touches the caliper bracket and pad shims) Checked the rotor part#'s with almost every manufacturer out there, including the dealer..Found out that from 95-97, is one rotor part#, and 98-99 is the other rotor part#, both for GSX AWD fronts..The strange thing is, all the part#'s for loaded calipers are IDENTICAL for 95-99..I just don't get it..So I ended up just getting the rotors for 95-97, and fit just perfectly..Anyone know the difference from 97 to 98+?? The ONLY thing i can think of is that the caliper brackets are diff on the 98+, but that still doesnt explain why all the loaded caliper#'s are the same throughout the years...Am I missing something here? haha..BTW, these brakes are sweet

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 08:20 AM, #1
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-04 08:29 AM, #2
      RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., turbo8u, Jun-04-04 08:58 AM, #3
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., coppereclipse95, Jun-04-04 10:51 AM, #4
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 11:22 AM, #5
      RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-04 12:32 PM, #6
           RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 12:48 PM, #7
                RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-04 01:02 PM, #8
                     RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 01:05 PM, #9
                          RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-04 01:23 PM, #10
                               RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., SpooledupRacing, Jun-04-04 01:42 PM, #11
                                    RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 04:04 PM, #12
                                         RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., SpooledupRacing, Jun-04-04 04:31 PM, #13
                                              RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-04-04 06:43 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., WickedESi, Jun-04-04 07:08 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., SpooledupRacing, Jun-05-04 02:19 AM, #16
                                                             RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., 96Eclipsed, Jun-08-04 01:20 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., CopperEclipse96, Jun-09-04 01:03 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., SpooledupRacing, Jun-09-04 02:10 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., AdministratorCODE4, Jun-22-04 04:25 PM, #20
                                                                       RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., GhEttOrAiD, Jun-22-04 06:22 PM, #21
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., coppereclipse95, Jun-23-04 06:20 AM, #22
RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., MCubed45, Jun-24-04 01:01 AM, #23
      RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., TeamXtremeRS, Jun-26-04 02:53 PM, #24
      RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., MCubed45, Jun-27-04 03:28 PM, #25
           RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., thedawg, Jun-28-04 09:34 AM, #26
      RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., thedawg, Jun-28-04 09:42 AM, #27
           RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.., MCubed45, Jun-30-04 03:12 AM, #28

WickedESiJun-04-04 08:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24241, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 0

Umm...

I think I might be in the same situation.

There isn't enough space in mine to turn the rotor all the way around w/o the shims rubbing, but I thought it was only because I haven't bolted up my wheel yet (since part of it clears).

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 08:29 AM
6329 posts,
#24242, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by WickedESi
Umm... I think I might be in the same situation. There isn't enough space in mine to turn the rotor all the way around w/o the shims rubbing, but I thought it was only because I haven't bolted up my wheel yet (since part of it clears).

Yeah man, just use a few wheel lugs to tighten down the rotor with the wheel off, and check it..You should have around 1/8" of clearance from each side of the bracket to the rotor..also, if your pads stick up like 1/16" or so from the rotor, then you have the wrong rotors. Or take the easy way out ,and measure the thickness of your rotor..If its 1" thick, its the WRONG one. Check the mimium thickness nuber on the rotor, its either onthe hub of it, or the backside of it..If it says more than .88 inches, then its the wrong one..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

turbo8uJun-04-04 08:58 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#24243, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 2

/me bookmarks this thread

good stuff matt

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

coppereclipse95Jun-04-04 10:51 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#24245, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 0

Hey, this is the spooled...(dave) something dudes brake kit right? Got any pics? So, if I was to get a set, I need the 95-97 rotors?

1995 Eclipse RS

WickedESiJun-04-04 11:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24246, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 4

My calipers/brackets were from gilee.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 12:32 PM
6329 posts,
#24247, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-04-04 12:35 PM by XtremeRS

Yes, these were from Dave(spooledupracing), but let me just clarify, that this was NOT his fault whatso ever..If anything, its mine i guess, because I just told him to get the parts for a 98, since at the time, I was unaware of any differences in the rotors. Also, this does NOT pertain to the calipers or brackets! So far, this is just a rotor issue, as it seems like most loaded calipers you buy are all the same thing, its just that you need 95-97 AWD rotors to fit inside the caliper bracket properly. I'd still like to know the differences in the 98+ setup..

I just dont know how nobody knew of this yet really..I mean, lots of people have done this upgrade, and as far as I know, i have not heard of any rotor size issues..maybe its just that nobody yet has oredered rotors for a 98+ yet?? Or maybe people do know, and have mentioned it in the past, but i never saw it..

One more thing. Dave only shipped one pair of the rotors to a member, and he was contacted already about the issue. One more set of rotors had been ordered, but not yet shipped, so Dave now knows the exact part# that is needed. Of course, the proper rotors are quite a bit more expensive(accross the board between all brands really)..I paid 50.00 or so per rotor at Napa, and I got a good price on it at that..didn't really have time to shop around or special order, since i needed the car..

But this setup is awsome, I can already tell a huge difference in stopping power, even without the pads fully seated yet..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

WickedESiJun-04-04 12:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24248, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-04-04 12:50 PM by WickedESi

Ok. So when I tried rotating my rotor the first time it was w/ brand new Brembo slotted rotors. I had 2 opposing lugnuts on it just to hold the rotor flat, but that wasn't enough. Once I put the rest of the lugs on I have enough clearance to look all the way down on both side of the pads (and they are even). I'm willing to bet it's only slightly more than 1/16", I don't have any feeler gauges so I can't tell for sure.

Now on my Brembo's it says 22.4mm (.896") MIN thickness, but Brembo (and other performance rotors) make their performance rotors thicker than stock, which would make the clearances tighter.

So, in other words, my rotors work, and it contraverses some of the things you said.

What's wrong w/ a 1/16" clearance? I doubt they would expand 1/8" (2 x 1/16") under load.

It's possible they just used a tighter clearance on 98+ to take advantage of wider rotor. Why else would they not have 2 part numbers for the calipers?

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 01:02 PM
6329 posts,
#24249, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 7

Ok. So when I tried rotating my rotor the first time it was w/ brand new Brembo slotted rotors. I had 2 opposing lugnuts on it just to hold the rotor flat, but that wasn't enough. Once I put the rest of the lugs on I have enough clearance to look all the way down on both side of the pads (and they are even). I'm willing to bet it's only slightly more than 1/16", I don't have any feeler gauges so I can't tell for sure. Now on my Brembo's it says 22.4mm (.896") MIN thickness, but Brembo (and other performance rotors) make their performance rotors thicker than stock, which would make the clearances tighter. So, in other words, my rotors work, and it contraverses some of the things you said. What's wrong w/ a 1/16" clearance? I doubt they would expand 1/8" (2 x 1/16") under load. It's possible they just used a tighter clearance on 98+ to take advantage of wider rotor. Why else would they not have 2 part numbers for the calipers?

Well, let me tell you this. I tried to use the 98+ rotors...I put them on, and the pad reataining clips were rubbing the rotor, and the rotor was pretty much touching the bracket, but ONLY on the outside of it, there was a greater gap on the inside of the bracket..Thats just not right. The rotor should have equal clearance as it sits in the braket..I actually drove the car with it like this, and noticed right away a rubbing noise. Should have known right there, but a few hard stops later, and it looked like my front end was on fire..billows of smoke out of the brakes! I've done tons of brake jobs on all kinds of cars, and not once have i seen a rotor come that close to the bracket, or pads that overhang the edge of the rotor by 1/16".. As for no 2 part#'s for calipers, i have no clue..At this point, i'm still baffled by it..all I know, is that those 98+ rotors did NOT work right at all..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

WickedESiJun-04-04 01:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24251, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-04-04 01:05 PM by WickedESi

Since I have an equal distance on the inside, and outside of the rotor, you think it would be safe to test, agreed?

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 01:23 PM
6329 posts,
#24253, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 9

Since I have an equal distance on the inside, and outside of the rotor, you think it would be safe to test, agreed?

If its not rubbing anything, then i say its fine...

Now this is really messed up..I called the dealer, and the part#'s for the caliper/bracket assembly is IDENTICAL from a 97 to a 98...same knuckles, same hubs, BUT he did say the pads were a diff part#, but I can't see how that will effect how the rotor sits in relation to the caliper bracket thats bolted to the knuckle..man this is just strange..How in the hell that 98+ rotor fits in these caliper brakets, I have no clue..its not like its an invovled operation to put them on or anything haha..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

SpooledupRacingJun-04-04 01:42 PM
Member since May 26th 2004
762 posts,
#24255, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 10

yeah I am going to make a COMPLETE how to with pictures and post it on my site for all to get a idea on what is needed and how it is done....

as for the sets I am selling the prices were changed a bit and they are for sale and u will receive the EXACT parts needed... for the guy who I sent parts to and he got the wrong stuff he was promptly taken care or and so would any customers of mien who buy stuff from me

Dave

WickedESiJun-04-04 04:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24259, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 11

XtremeRS, it *could* be possible that they just use really right clearances and your pad retainers just got bent on the inside part, and started scraping.

SpooledupRacingJun-04-04 04:31 PM
762 posts,
#24260, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 12

that is something I thought was possible.. cause when u put the retainers on is when it would rub.. and it only seemed to rub right where the "finger" is that clips to the rotor side of the bracket

on the outside of the rotor too..

Dave

TeamXtremeRSJun-04-04 06:43 PM
6329 posts,
#24264, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 13

Well when i looked at the caliper bracket, you could see where the rotor was rubbing against it..I mean it was just *barely* touching it..and part of the pad retainer clip was also rubbing, but it wasnt bent, it was sitting in there the way it was supposed to..I don't know..I put on the other 95-97 rotors, and everything bolted up, and cleared perfectly.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

WickedESiJun-04-04 07:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24265, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 14

This is officially weird.

SpooledupRacingJun-05-04 02:19 AM
762 posts,
#24270, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 15

yeah it is just baffling

Dave

Dave
SpooledupRacing@comcast.net
Spooled Up Racing ®
86' 13B 5spd, N/T
Rotary Power FTW!

96EclipsedJun-08-04 01:20 PM
Member since Jun 17th 2002
1923 posts,
#24305, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks for the info guys. I had bought the GSX brakes and Rotors from Gilee. When I had them isntalled the guy said that the wheel would not turn...would it be safe to say that the rotors are the wrong ones?

weather turning towards a storm broken down road continue on coexistance imitating paradise
unlike any seen moist has been dancing crazy overcast ash grey wording constantly pushing pulling pushes away

sacred? you really are?
m'not scared
then what are you?

drew back a rusty knife guilt ladle pour it on understand i burn inside how to get out of here how do you get out of this natures revenge nature
cage craving wonder the worth of it scream at the top of your lungs so many times tried not to wonder

CopperEclipse96Jun-09-04 01:03 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#24321, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 17

yeah, im having a problem. i bolted everything up, and my wheel wouldn't turn anymore. did I get the right rotors dave? i'm thinking I got the wrong ones.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

SpooledupRacingJun-09-04 02:10 PM
762 posts,
#24325, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 18

no u should have gotten the right rotors.....

do me a favor I know u said u put the caliper bracket on and the rotor.. what u should do is put the rotor on and put like 3-4 lugs on to make sure the rotor is tight on the hub then see if they touch.. and they should not.. since u have the rotors that are UNDER 1" they are right....

just make sure u have everything on tight

Dave

Dave
SpooledupRacing@comcast.net
Spooled Up Racing ®
86' 13B 5spd, N/T
Rotary Power FTW!

AdministratorCODE4Jun-22-04 04:25 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#24475, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 19
Jun-22-04 04:29 PM by CODE4

ROTOR INFORMATION for AWD and FWD

I called my parts guy at NAPA today and asked him to do a little research in his spare time. Here are the results that he faxed me:

1995-1997 Eclipse/Talon AWD Front Rotors use NAPA part #86153 and have the following dimensions:

10 55/64” diameter
0.882” thick
1 25/32” tall when laid flat

1998-1999 Eclipse/Talon AWD Front Rotors use NAPA part #86735 and have the following dimensions:

10 35/64” diameter
0.882” thick
1 53/64” tall when laid flat

I have also confirmed this change in part # with the dealer. 1995-1997 rotor # is MB928319 and 1998-1999 rotor # is MR334998.

98-99 rotors are slightly smaller in diameter and have a slightly larger offset when mounted on the hub. This is odd since caliper part #s are identical throughout all years. This dimension change could account for some problems people are encountering when performing a GSX upgrade.

It seems that the rule of thumb is to buy parts for the same year vehicle that you own when performing the OEM big brake upgrade.

And for those that are interested, I also have the part numbers for FWD rotors and dimensions for them.

1995-1998 FWD Talons and 1995 FWD Eclipse use NAPA part #86162 and have the following dimensions:

10 5/64” diameter
0.882” thick
1 51/64” tall when laid flat

1996-1999 FWD Eclipses use NAPA part #86723 and have the following dimensions:

10 15/64” diameter
0.882” thick
1 25/32” tall when laid flat

Why there is a part number difference I do not know. Stranger more is the fact that the 95 Eclipse has a different part number that the 96-99s. The dimensions are negligible enough that I do not think it would cause any problems, but then again there is a problem occurring when performing the GSX upgrade.

EDIT: One potential solution for those that have rotors that are binding against the caliper is using agrade eight washer or two between the caliper bracket and steering knuckle. I have not encountered this problem myself but when I do the upgrade, I will use parts from a 99 GSX and post my results (and problems if any).

---

2012 2500HD LML

GhEttOrAiDJun-22-04 06:22 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
#24476, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by CopperEclipse96
yeah, im having a problem. i bolted everything up, and my wheel wouldn't turn anymore. did I get the right rotors dave? i'm thinking I got the wrong ones.

is the rotor seating completely? look closely through one of the un-filled holes, there might be a space between the hat and center of the hub... try your other rotor and see if you have the same problem

damnit

i swear these rotors are made in china by blind retarded quadroplegics

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

coppereclipse95Jun-23-04 06:20 AM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#24479, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 0

XtremeRS, do you have any pics of this kit installed???

1995 Eclipse RS

MCubed45Jun-24-04 01:01 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#24485, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 22
Jun-24-04 01:02 AM by MCubed45

are the part numbers for the hubs between years identical? the same caliper could be used if the dimensions on the hub itself were changed to accomodate the different rotors. i have GSX caliper but i have AEM rotors.. they never seated completely properly and slowly got worse vibration under hard braking over time. my car's a 1995 (8/94 build date) so i'm prolly the most fucked up as far as parts. my rear cylinders are completely different from the late 95-99... when looking for replacement rear cylinders i had to special order one listed under 1994 eclipse. go figure.

now that i think about it i wonder if this difference is related to my AEM rotor problems. if they made a universal rotor for all years when there should be different rotors for different years then we have a major problem. a $350 problem in my case. fuck. with the AEM's the caliper is offset with a bracket so that may have made it possible to use the wrong rotors.

hmmm but because the caliper 'floats' (it can move laterally) shouldn't it not matter if the rotor is centered in the bracket as long as it's not rubbing? the clamping of the caliper should automatically center the rotor in reference to the caliper (though not necessarily to the bracket).

i think this issue is important

-marc

TeamXtremeRSJun-26-04 02:53 PM
6329 posts,
#24510, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 23

I don't know guys. I had BOTH rotors from a 95-97, and from 98-99, and the 98-99 rotors WERE THICKER, they were NOT the same .882 thickness. I verified this with several brands of rotors, not just one manufacturer. I tried to use a washer to space out the caliper bracket from the hub, but that didnt work so well either. It just wasn't right. I had several auto parts stores ask me if it had steel or aluminum wheels, so maybe the offset of the hub is different on some GSX models..I don't know, but that doesnt really matter, since the actual gap in the bracket where the rotor turns in between, stays the same no matter what year. BTW, I ordered parts for a 98 GSX, both calipers and rotors, and the rotors were too thick. Then got the 95-97 rotors and everything was PERFECT. The new rotors will be the same exact thickness as the old stockers, but just larger in diameter. This is all I know , and know that works perfectly on my 98RS.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

MCubed45Jun-27-04 03:28 PM
2706 posts,
#24526, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 24

again, does anyone know if the HUBS are identical between all years?

-marc

thedawgJun-28-04 09:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#24536, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 25
Jun-28-04 09:37 AM by thedawg

No, the hubs differ wildly. There's different part numbers for ABS vs NONABS etc. However the bolt spacing, offset, and caliper mounting holes should all be the same. The only thing that's different is the caliper MOUNTING BRACKET.

AFAIK,
90-5/92 GSX, All 2GNT, 3G-4cyl rotors are 255mm or 10"
6/92-2000 GSX, 3G-V6 rotors are 275mm or 10 3/4"
I'm not aware of any radius differences between FRONT 95-97 vs 98-99 but I guess you guys found one

There was some weirdness with powerslot REAR rotors for 2G-AWD cars made from 1/94 through 10/94

thedawgJun-28-04 09:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#24537, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by MCubed45
i have GSX caliper but i have AEM rotors.. they never seated completely properly and slowly got worse vibration under hard braking over time. my car's a 1995 (8/94 build date) so i'm prolly the most fucked up as far as parts. with the AEM's the caliper is offset with a bracket so that may have made it possible to use the wrong rotors.

I have AEM "big" GSX rotors and 1995 GSX calipers on my 1995 GST with no problems. It was definitely tight the first time, but once everything settled in and I tightened it all down a few times, it works perfectly now.

Vibration is caused by uneven heating of the rotor, due usually to incorrect pad breakin, shitty pads, uneven lug nut torque, or rotor not seated against the hub properly.

MCubed45Jun-30-04 03:12 AM
2706 posts,
#24559, "RE: Interesting find on the GSX front brake upgrade...rotor size.."
In response to Reply # 27
Jun-30-04 03:13 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by thedawg
I have AEM "big" GSX rotors and 1995 GSX calipers on my 1995 GST with no problems. It was definitely tight the first time, but once everything settled in and I tightened it all down a few times, it works perfectly now. Vibration is caused by uneven heating of the rotor, due usually to incorrect pad breakin, shitty pads, uneven lug nut torque, or rotor not seated against the hub properly.

ya i know what typically causes it but i'm just kinda curious whether this difference in stock rotors means that aftermarket rotors should be year specific as well, rather than simply either FWD or AWD 2g rotors..

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24238 Previous topic | Next topic