Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23155
View in linear mode

Subject: "2 brake questions" Previous topic | Next topic
SilverRSMar-23-04 04:08 AM
Member since Aug 03rd 2003
274 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23155, "2 brake questions"

My first question is: Is there and brake pads that are not that expensive that don't dust that much? I know that hawk and EBC are good but fairly expensive, I have bendix on right now and they make my rims dirty very quickly. My second question is: I posted a while back that when I hit the brakes fairly hard my car veers to the right sometimes, I noticed on the passenger front side that my rims gets a lot of dust on it but not as much as the driver side. So my quistion is: Should I replace the master cylinder on the driver side? If so how much does that cost?

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2 brake questions, foggy45, Mar-23-04 05:57 PM, #1
RE: 2 brake questions, Sitinlo, Mar-23-04 06:54 PM, #2
      RE: 2 brake questions, SilverRS, Mar-24-04 03:11 AM, #3
           RE: 2 brake questions, foggy45, Mar-24-04 02:17 PM, #4
           RE: 2 brake questions, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-24-04 03:19 PM, #5
                RE: 2 brake questions, SilverRS, Mar-25-04 08:30 AM, #6
                     RE: 2 brake questions, a_miller_76, Mar-25-04 09:01 AM, #7

foggy45Mar-23-04 05:57 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23177, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 0

first off the EBC are worth every penny of there price

secondly before you go replacing brake components, upgrade to SS lines, get new brake fluid and flush the lines, re-shim your pads (old or new), lastly get new rotors (is there any shudder now?)

hope this helps

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SitinloMar-23-04 06:54 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2002
386 posts,
#23178, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 1

i bought some hawks from howell for 49 a set front or rear I didnt think that was tooo high

SilverRSMar-24-04 03:11 AM
274 posts,
#23183, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-24-04 03:12 AM by SilverRS

Thanks for your replies. I think I will just do a brake system change. Since I have drums in the back should I only get 2 SS lines or do I need 4. Also anybody know where to get a set of SS lines that aren't too expensive. Sorry if I seem cheap but I am a college student.

Thanks

EDIT: How are the EBC and the hawk on brake dust?

foggy45Mar-24-04 02:17 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#23204, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 3

EBC has zero brake dust since there kevlar/composite

russell makes great SS lines, got mine for 50

AdministratorCODE4Mar-24-04 03:19 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#23206, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by SilverRS
Thanks for your replies. I think I will just do a brake system change. Since I have drums in the back should I only get 2 SS lines or do I need 4. Also anybody know where to get a set of SS lines that aren't too expensive. Sorry if I seem cheap but I am a college student. Thanks EDIT: How are the EBC and the hawk on brake dust?

With drums in the rear you will not need Rear SS. Although I am not sure if they sell only fronts. RRE has all 4 for 80.00 or so. Also, if your car pulls when braking it means one side is not making as much contact as the other. This could be due to a faulty caliper. There is only one master cylinder and replacing it would not fix the brake pull.

Definitely bleed out your system and put new brake fluid in it. Also, for solutions on brake dust problems, look for Ceramic pads, they kick out less dust than organics and Semi-metallics.

---

2012 2500HD LML

SilverRSMar-25-04 08:30 AM
274 posts,
#23223, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 5

So obviously my driver side caliper is not grasping that good. What should I check for and how? I want to get new pads, bleed brakes almost completely, and maybe SS lines. Oh and BTW the pads I have now are semi metallic.

a_miller_76Mar-25-04 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#23224, "RE: 2 brake questions"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by SilverRS
So obviously my driver side caliper is not grasping that good. What should I check for and how? I want to get new pads, bleed brakes almost completely, and maybe SS lines. Oh and BTW the pads I have now are semi metallic.

No no, don't "bleed them almost completely"....bleed them completely. All new fluid.

You can get rear discs from a junkyard for about $100 (get the whole knuckle, not just the disk and rotor or it won't work)

And I'm pretty sure if your is pulling to the right then the right side is hooking up harder than the left. Makes sense seeing as how the left side would be moving forward at a higher rate of speed than the left so the right side is slowing down faster.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23155 Previous topic | Next topic