Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22171
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s" Previous topic | Next topic
ShadabladeJan-30-04 09:42 AM
Member since Jul 01st 2003
24 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22171, "Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"

Went to get an alignment today b/c my 96 talon (FWD) has been shuddering and drifting in the lane kinda bad (tires had been checked for balence issues) And the guy comes back and tells me that both the "Inner and Outer Tie-Rods are shot" I think to myself ok no biggie really. Then he quotes me 200 for labor and 200 in parts. I feel im getting stiffed so i decide to not take him up on it and that i can probally do it myself.

My question is, In the Haynes manual it only gives one small removal and install section under section 10-21 (index says 10-15?) Are both of these rods positioned near each other (2 per side?) and only printed a general install for the whole deal? Id really like to know for sure before i get under there and start taking stuff apart.

Also, are there better parts (upgraded, stiffer yadda yadda) over the OEM ones for this job, or should i just hit a local autozone or something to order standard ones?

Many thnks to any help!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, Teamner947, Jan-30-04 09:55 AM, #1
RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, Shadablade, Jan-30-04 10:35 AM, #2
      RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, WickedESi, Jan-30-04 08:51 PM, #3
           RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, Shadablade, Jan-30-04 09:54 PM, #4
           RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, FarOutKucki, Jan-31-04 10:06 AM, #5
                RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, RickyMeeses, Feb-02-04 05:38 AM, #6
           RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-02-04 04:48 PM, #7
                RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s, WickedESi, Feb-02-04 07:14 PM, #8

Teamner947Jan-30-04 09:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22172, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-30-04 09:57 AM by ner947

hmmmm... first replace the tie rod ends, wicked easy, about 10 minutes per side. you will need a pickle fork and a few open end wrenches.

a tie rod end is about $30.

unless you count how many times you turn the tie rod to get it off and then turn it the same number of threads when putting it back on, you will need an alingment. this is possible, for i replaced my driver's side tie rod end and did not need an alingment afterwards.

if that doesn't fix the problem, post the results of your attempt and then take it from there.

edit: oh yeah. forgot to add that there are no "peformance" tie rod ends that i know of. it's a pretty basic part that can't really be improved upon.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ShadabladeJan-30-04 10:35 AM
24 posts,
#22177, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the info, it looks like i may have to wait til monday to try to do this (next day off) But could someone clarify this "inner / outer" bit. Im only seeing listings for outer tie rod ends (fits either side) So what and where is the inner tie rod? Thanks!

WickedESiJan-30-04 08:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#22185, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-30-04 08:51 PM by WickedESi

I think he was yanking your crank.

There is a tie rod end on both sides of the car. Not inner/outters.

They are about $30 each from AutoZone.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ShadabladeJan-30-04 09:54 PM
24 posts,
#22186, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for all the advice. Parts are on order and I should be able to spend the morning monday under the car to get it straight. Many thanks again.

FarOutKuckiJan-31-04 10:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
#22187, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 4

outters are the cross tube ends, whereas inners are the cross tubes themselves. if the $200 in labor includes a new alignment, i dont think that is that horrible of a deal.

oh, and i think it is possible to buy bigger cross tube ends.

OldGuyFeb-02-04 05:38 AM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#22206, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 5

The outer tie rods are standard to the "rack" so only come in one fittment. Those are the ends that attach to the actual rack inside the "cross tube". I am changing mine tonight. Also, $200 for parts and labor, if it INCLUDES an alignment, is actually very reasonable! We are getting about $275-300 for both sides w/ an alignment. It isn't very hard to do if you have the right tools and patience. Yes, write down the thread count and number of turns for the outer tie rod ends. It makes it almost fool proof but you should still have the alignment checked later on.

AdministratorCODE4Feb-02-04 04:48 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#22211, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-02-04 04:49 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by WickedESi
I think he was yanking your crank. There is a tie rod end on both sides of the car. Not inner/outters. They are about $30 each from AutoZone.

There are inner and outer tie rods whether you have rack & pinion or parallelogram style set up. DSMs have Rack & pinion obviously, but the inner tie rod ends are not as obvious. They are the parts that are threaded into the rack itself, they rarely go bad however. I have replaced a few (I work in a shop) on FWD and they are not too bad on a lift. I suggest doing the outers and going from there as mentioned afore. Rent a pickle fork/tie rod separator from autozone. AS for front end parts it is true that there are no real performance chasis parts however I do suggest going with MOOG parts. I believe Checker sells them, maybe NAPA as well. Ask the store you go to what brand they carry.

---

2012 2500HD LML

WickedESiFeb-02-04 07:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#22216, "RE: Tie rods are shot? Got a few ?'s"
In response to Reply # 7

Oh.

That makes sense

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22171 Previous topic | Next topic