Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21890
View in linear mode

Subject: "adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)" Previous topic | Next topic
foggy45Jan-11-04 02:11 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21890, "adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)"

i have a 96 GS that came without ABS.
since i live in nebraska i need abs for the winter.

my question is:
what do i need to add ABS?

can i just rip all the stuff from a GSX? (might as well upgrade while im at it)
-master cylinder
-booster
-wheelspeed sensor (where is this anyway?)
-abs computer
do i need a new PCM computer for this, or is it all bolt up?

i have access to a machine shop, and am very mechanially minded so i can pretty much attach anything if need be.
i realise this isnt a 2 hour project

any help would be apreciated

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!), Chamuko, Jan-11-04 05:27 PM, #1
RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!), totaleklipse97, Jan-11-04 06:16 PM, #2
RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!), Cereal5, Jan-14-04 12:30 AM, #3
RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!), wickedtalon, Jan-16-04 12:47 PM, #4
      Maybe someone can answer my question, too..., MajinVejitaXV, Jan-16-04 06:35 PM, #5
           RE: Maybe someone can answer my question, too..., Chamuko, Jan-16-04 06:45 PM, #6
                RE: Maybe someone can answer my question, too..., MajinVejitaXV, Jan-16-04 07:20 PM, #7

ChamukoJan-11-04 05:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21893, "RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)"
In response to Reply # 0

The sensors are on the calipers? You need everything you mentioned and all the electronics.

Its more hassles then its worth. If you have access to a spare car then take a look at how everything is hooked up and what a pain it would be.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

totaleklipse97Jan-11-04 06:16 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#21894, "RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)"
In response to Reply # 1

Just my opinion but i prefer NOT to have ABS. I live in northern Indiana so i get more than my share of snow and ice. With proper brake engagement there is no need for ABS imo.

VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

Cereal5Jan-14-04 12:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#21926, "RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by foggy45
i have a 96 GS that came without ABS. since i live in nebraska i need abs for the winter. my question is: what do i need to add ABS? can i just rip all the stuff from a GSX? (might as well upgrade while im at it) -master cylinder -booster -wheelspeed sensor (where is this anyway?) -abs computer do i need a new PCM computer for this, or is it all bolt up? i have access to a machine shop, and am very mechanially minded so i can pretty much attach anything if need be. i realise this isnt a 2 hour project any help would be apreciated

Why do you need ABS? Learn to drive it w/o IMO, the trouble to ADD ABS would be out of hand

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

wickedtalonJan-16-04 12:47 PM
Member since Jan 04th 2002
978 posts,
#21956, "RE: adding ABS (yes i used the search first!)"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree. Not worth the work.

// Jim // 95 Talon / 99 Eclipse (sold)

Cincinnati,OH

MajinVejitaXVJan-16-04 06:35 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#21961, "Maybe someone can answer my question, too..."
In response to Reply # 4

Can a non-ABS 2GNT use a GSX/3KGT master cylinder, since they bolt up, even if it's from a ABS model?

Points for whoever can finally put this to rest for me, I'd like to plan my brake upgrade...

-Corey

ChamukoJan-16-04 06:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#21962, "RE: Maybe someone can answer my question, too..."
In response to Reply # 5

jamesman mentions the diff in the sticky on the top.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

MajinVejitaXVJan-16-04 07:20 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#21963, "RE: Maybe someone can answer my question, too..."
In response to Reply # 6

Fucking message board...lost my post...

Anyway, yeah, I read the sticky awhile back. It doesn't have the info I need. I even asked in that thread, with no clear answer. And I've even asked jamesman on AIM, and he said he thought it would work, but he had "not personally seen any proof" that it would.

Anyone know for certain? I don't wanna end up with parts that I'll have to turn around and return/sale/use as paperweights...

Thanks,
Corey

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21890 Previous topic | Next topic