Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21578
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)" Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiDec-17-03 11:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21578, "Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
Dec-17-03 11:38 AM by WickedESi

I have my car aligned to almost the middle of factory spec for every aspect of the suspension. Yet, at crusing speed (goes away when going really fast) has the tendancy to track (sway back and forth). The parts should not be in question (mod list below), and I have my tire pressure at 38 psi all the way around. I'm also getting severe vibration at around 85-95 mph too, which I think is because my brembo rotors are warped (my tires are zero balanced). My front anti-sway (staiblizer) bar end links' bushings are all popped (no more grease in them). Do you think this could be causing it? or is this another side efffect of my warped brembo rotors? Or perhaps the well bearings are bad (wheels don't wiggle at all when on a lift, and no loud wooshing/metal on metal sounds when driving)?

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), Amish_Eclipse, Dec-17-03 12:42 PM, #1
RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), Dave41079, Dec-17-03 05:54 PM, #2
      RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), WickedESi, Dec-17-03 07:19 PM, #3
           RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), Mystic511, Dec-18-03 06:00 AM, #4
                RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), WickedESi, Dec-18-03 07:53 AM, #5
                     RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), The1Bill, Dec-19-03 04:51 PM, #6
                          RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), WickedESi, Dec-20-03 11:56 AM, #7
                               RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), WickedESi, Jan-10-04 10:10 PM, #8
                                    RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), tireg, Jan-13-04 06:00 PM, #9
                                    RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), Cereal5, Jan-14-04 12:28 AM, #10
                                         RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), ashah000, Jan-15-04 01:35 PM, #11
                                              RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), WickedESi, Jan-15-04 07:27 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long), RickyMeeses, Jan-17-04 07:04 AM, #13

Amish_EclipseDec-17-03 12:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21579, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 0

don't know what you mean by zero balanced. as in all perfectly balanced to zero? if so i'd question that. when i was working in the shop we used a digital balancer for most aftermarket rims and it's nearly impossible to balance them perfectly. the tires are so thin that it comes down to the construction of the rims and even fikse and momo's wouldn't balance perfectly reguardless of tire.

try going to a different shop and having them balanced. stay away from bubble balancers.

warped rotors will only make you vibrate under braking. that shouldn't cause vibration while cruising. also 85-95 is a pretty high speed. if something was terribley wrong i would imagine it would make noise before hand.

as far as your sway bars are concerned i have no clue. sorry.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Dave41079Dec-17-03 05:54 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
485 posts,
#21582, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 1

What kind of tires are on your car? I had Kumho's and they tracked really bad at speed. Also, have you checked your tie rods? A worn tie rod will make a back and forth motion also.

Lets just say this... I'm over 100whp and soon to cross 200whp. Thanx 2GNT! Now if I could only learn to prove it.

WickedESiDec-17-03 07:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#21585, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 2

My tie rods are brand new, I put them in before I aligned my car. I have 45 series Yokohama AVS ES-100's, the balancers read they were 0 balanced after the weights were placed.

Either Dino, or XtremeRS told me that warped rotors can cause vibration at speed.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Mystic511Dec-18-03 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#21593, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 3
Dec-18-03 06:00 AM by Mystic511

when your car shakes at high speeds, does it stop if you go faster?

My tires had uneven wear and they would shake horribly at 55-65 and then die down at higher speeds.

I thought it was my rotors too, but after a tire change, it was all fine.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

WickedESiDec-18-03 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#21595, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 4

Hmm, I thought that mabey it might be my tires (only have had them for about 4-5 months), but I'm never harse on them, and never spin them intentionally. My rotors look warped bad, everything to cracks at the dimples. I'm going to jack the front of my car up and spin the wheels to see if there is any odd resistance.

The1BillDec-19-03 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#21612, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like you have a broken band in the tyre. I would have it looked at, as it would probably be a warranty issue. As for the rotors, if they are showing cracks, DO NOT DRIVE ON THEM! I was at a track day, and I saw an E36 M3 destroyed br a failed rotor. The rotor cracked, and lodged itself against the caliper, locking that tyre. The E36, predictably, went into the wall hard. Replace those rotors now, because if they crack through, then you would be better off with no rotors.

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

WickedESiDec-20-03 11:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#21623, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by The1Bill
Sounds like you have a broken band in the tyre. I would have it looked at, as it would probably be a warranty issue. As for the rotors, if they are showing cracks, DO NOT DRIVE ON THEM! I was at a track day, and I saw an E36 M3 destroyed br a failed rotor. The rotor cracked, and lodged itself against the caliper, locking that tyre. The E36, predictably, went into the wall hard. Replace those rotors now, because if they crack through, then you would be better off with no rotors. -=B-=

I just found an extra pair of brand new stock front rotors in my garage today when I was cleaning it out, so I'm going to throw those on there (even though it will look goofy w/ the rear brembos). I'm also going to pop off my front tires from the wheel and inspect them.

Thanks for the advice bill.

WickedESiJan-10-04 10:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#21882, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 7
Jan-10-04 10:10 PM by WickedESi

I put the new stock rotors on and the vibration is gone, therefor, warped rotors can cause vibration at speed. Hopefully I'll be getting the GSX calipers soon. Non-performance brakes suck.

tiregJan-13-04 06:00 PM
Member since Dec 10th 2002
800 posts,
#21919, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 8

omg old post. but the1bill is wise.

Cereal5Jan-14-04 12:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#21925, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by WickedESi
I put the new stock rotors on and the vibration is gone, therefor, warped rotors can cause vibration at speed. Hopefully I'll be getting the GSX calipers soon. Non-performance brakes suck.

Damn, those suckers must have been HORRIBLY warped to cause vibration even when you are not braking

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

ashah000Jan-15-04 01:35 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2003
83 posts,
#21941, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 10

How do you know if your rotors are warped?

www.cardomain.com/id/ashah000

WickedESiJan-15-04 07:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#21944, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 11

Under normally conditions, you press your brakes and if the car shakes their warped.

OldGuyJan-17-04 07:04 AM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#21965, "RE: Why is my car tracking at high speed? (long)"
In response to Reply # 12

Additionally you will feel a slight pulsation in the pedal. Pulling up on the parking brake (gently!) while driving will further isolate it to the front or rear. Vibe without the pedal is the rear, no vibe is all in the front.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21578 Previous topic | Next topic