Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #20079
View in linear mode

Subject: "What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???" Previous topic | Next topic
mitiftoSep-21-03 04:09 PM
Member since Jul 20th 2002
906 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20079, "What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"

I looked at a strut tower for 20 bucks on ebay alloy. Is there anything wrong with them?? What is the diffrence between the 100 dollar ones to 20 dollar ones. Thanx

Your Garage is not worthy
For the Masterpiece you built
That only looks like it cost a Fortune
While most flaunt their cars by going fast
You show off Standing Still

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, Amish_Eclipse, Sep-21-03 04:32 PM, #1
RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, Nackers, Sep-21-03 04:34 PM, #2
      RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, MotoFool, Sep-21-03 10:01 PM, #3
           RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-22-03 01:44 AM, #4
                RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, MotoFool, Sep-22-03 04:33 AM, #5
                     RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-22-03 04:43 AM, #6
                          RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, MotoFool, Sep-22-03 03:25 PM, #7
                               RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, LeakyMitsu, Sep-22-03 04:31 PM, #8
                                    RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, CoprEklipz, Sep-23-03 03:14 AM, #9
                                         RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, sonny bk, Sep-23-03 05:50 PM, #10
                                              RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, CoprEklipz, Sep-24-03 03:00 AM, #11
                                              RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-24-03 03:02 AM, #12
                                                   RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, CoprEklipz, Sep-24-03 07:42 AM, #13
                                                        RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-24-03 11:31 AM, #14
                                                             RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-24-03 04:48 PM, #15
                                                             RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, talon614, Sep-24-03 07:41 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, talon614, Sep-24-03 07:43 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-25-03 07:48 PM, #22
                                                             we do have struts, sonny bk, Sep-30-03 01:31 PM, #33
RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, nemesis_talon, Sep-24-03 09:50 PM, #18
RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, CoprEklipz, Sep-25-03 02:44 AM, #19
      RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-25-03 03:59 AM, #20
           RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-25-03 07:47 PM, #21
                RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, HadesOmega, Sep-25-03 08:42 PM, #23
                     RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-26-03 07:42 AM, #24
                          RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-26-03 12:42 PM, #25
                               RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, Squid, Sep-26-03 01:18 PM, #26
                                    RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-26-03 05:47 PM, #27
                                         RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, Squid, Sep-26-03 06:10 PM, #28
                                              RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-27-03 12:07 PM, #29
                                                   RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, Squid, Sep-27-03 01:00 PM, #30
                                                        RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Sep-27-03 01:26 PM, #31
                                                             RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Sep-28-03 10:59 AM, #32
                                                                  RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, sonny bk, Sep-30-03 01:32 PM, #34
                                                                       RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, WIKKI, Sep-30-03 06:16 PM, #35
                                                                            RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, BuckNutty, Oct-01-03 01:35 AM, #36
                                                                            RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, espilcEGS, Oct-01-03 02:38 AM, #37
                                                                            RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, sonny bk, Oct-01-03 05:06 AM, #38
                                                                                 RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, The1Bill, Oct-01-03 06:04 PM, #39
                                                                                 RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, sonny bk, Oct-01-03 07:48 PM, #40
                                                                                 RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, WIKKI, Oct-02-03 12:55 PM, #41
                                                                                      RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???, blcktalipse, Oct-03-03 05:29 PM, #42

Amish_EclipseSep-21-03 04:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#20082, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 0

strut towers suck in general. crappy mod unless you connect to the firewall. in the front.

only possible issues i could see would be would be crappy material like thin hollow bar or something.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

NackersSep-21-03 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1912 posts,
#20084, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 1

Brand names... brand names. Thats why they are so cheap according to some people I have talked to. Also, ebay mostly has the turbo braces so everytime you change your oil you have to take your brace off to get to the filler cap...

www.ChicagoArea240sx.Editboard.com

MotoFoolSep-21-03 10:01 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#20099, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 2

ebay one i can flex with my hands and u probably wont even notice a difference...

a good strut tower will not flex... and would be adjustble but i havent found one that i like yet there that really expensive bar that shows up on ebay every now anda again....

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

BuckNuttySep-22-03 01:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20103, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 3

i have the cheapy bars...you can notice a difference with them in. I figure that all teh adjustable bars would have some flex anyway and that the best bang for the buck would be these, IMO.

MotoFoolSep-22-03 04:33 AM
2103 posts,
#20107, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 4

put one on scotts car while we were at the shop we didn't notice a damn thing...

Bill

BuckNuttySep-22-03 04:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20108, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 5

>put one on scotts car while we were at the shop we didn't
>notice a damn thing...

Scott also has an uber setup for suspension as is. It helped with my coil overs and shit struts. I never really realized it did anything till i had it in for a while and then took it off. I drove without it and i could feel that it wasn't there. Thing is, i didn't know it was off, so the placebo effect wouldn't be the cause here. I was doing sumthin under the car while a friend finished up under the hood. He never put the strut bar backl on.

In short, the people with less-then-uber suspension set ups (BuckNutty) will notice a lil difference. People with uber set ups (Scott) won't notice much, if any, difference at all.

MotoFoolSep-22-03 03:25 PM
2103 posts,
#20112, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 6

when i posted that i for a few mins forgot scott had Teins dunno why... i agree with your statement though bucknutty =)

LeakyMitsuSep-22-03 04:31 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2002
311 posts,
#20113, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 7

IMO...nothing is wrong with them. my friend bought a DC sport strut bar that was like 150$ for his integra and i have the 15 dollar e bay deal...mine definitely flexed less and is made much better, although it isnt as flashy. as for getting the oil cap off, mine just barely squeezes through when the strut bar is on, but i can get it off, so im not complaining.
Brandon

CoprEklipzSep-23-03 03:14 AM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#20114, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 8

Guys, uber suspension or not (thanks for the compliments though ), the one and only thing that makes a strut bar useful/less is its flexibility, or lack thereof. The reason the strut bars on ebay are so cheap are because they're made with really weak materials, they're adjustable, so that further eliminates their effectiveness, and while you might get some gains, the gains you'll get from a solid, no-to-little flex bar with no adjustability or weak spots are far more noticeable and worth it. To be honest, you may feel a slight gain with the ebay bars, but they're really more for show.

If you want a good strut bar that will actually help the car's handling (which, by the way, due to the physics, strut bars should really improve upon, by eliminating the flex the strut towers experience when load is placed on them in corners), find a solid bar that bolts right up specifically designed for our cars. There's a handful on ebay that fit this description, hayame makes one, and hurricane...well, we won't go down that road.

Expect to pay at least 100 bucks for a USEFUL EFFECTIVE strut bar. Otherwise, just by the ebay ones for looks...

sonny bkSep-23-03 05:50 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1171 posts,
#20124, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 9

$20=better turning

I'd buy em again. Made the best handling mod for the least buck.

Ya can't go wrong for 20 bucks...and for someone who says it doesn't do anything...ride my car with it on and off and tell me you don't feel a difference.

I'm scared to drive without it. No joke.

WTB:
--bolt on turbo kit (star, hahn, etc.)
--rear drum to disc set up
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

CoprEklipzSep-24-03 03:00 AM
614 posts,
#20134, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 10

>I'm scared to drive without it. No joke.

Huh? Scared to drive your car without $20 ebay strut bars?

BuckNuttySep-24-03 03:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20135, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 10

I agree with you whoeheartedly, scott, to a point. The perfect strut tower bar would allow no flex at all from the towers, correct? Of course So, anything between the two strut towers that prevents even teh slightest bit of flex will help out better then having nothing there. So therefore, any decent piece of metal will stop SOME flex between teh towers, even these cheap ebay bars. Trust, i have a shitty set up and i can tell the difference with and without these bars.

CoprEklipzSep-24-03 07:42 AM
614 posts,
#20141, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 12

Maybe it is that uber-suspension setup I have...but I couldn't tell a damn sliver of difference with Bill's rear strut bar.

I'm going all the way with it though...only the best for the suspension, even the strut bars. If I can't feel a difference with nice beefy solid strut bars, then I'm whacking whoever I bought it from repeatedly with it out of frustration.

Anyone out there have an expensive, solid strut bar? Post pics, and the performance you've gotten out of it.

The1BillSep-24-03 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20144, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 13

Cheap shock tower braces (they aren't strut tower braces, as we don't have strut towers, because we have shocks, not struts) will still make a difference. The shortfall of these cheap bars is not the quality of materials used (steel ALWAYS has a modulus of elasticity right around 207 GPa), but rather the adjustment built into it.

Also, a good shock tower brace will have a solid mount between the stantions (mounting flange for the shock tower) and the bar, itself. On the cheap e-bay shock tower braces, there is a thin (1/8" or so) piece of steel that connects the stantion to the bolt that goes through the bar. This is where the majority of flex occurs.

Also, I recommend avoiding aluminum bars, as they have a much lower MoE, which is between 69 GPa and 72.4 GPa. The lower the number, the less resistance that there is to flexion. To put things in perspective, natural diamond of the highest quality has a MoE of 1200 GPa. Yikes. But I digress.

So, the ideal bar would be a diamond bar (bl1ng bl1ng, y0), but steel will work if you don't have that much diamond lying around the house. There would be no adjustment, and it would be a solid bar, with no hinge between the stantion and the bar. The bar itself would go straight across from shock tower to shock tower with no bends whatsoever. Angling a brace out to the firewall would make no difference, as the firewall is not a structural piece. There is no bar or brace on it, so any force vector placed on the firewall would simply distort the firewall. Bracing to the firewall doesn't make sense to me, anyways, as the point of a shock tower brace is to keep the shock towers parallel, not keep them steady in relation to the firewall. Who cares if you gain castor in a corner? What matters is that your chassis does not cuccumb to the stress in a corner and reduce your dynamic camber. This is what will reduce the contact patch, and not allow the suspension and tyre that you paid oh so much money for to do it's job.

The best option for a shock tower brace, of course, is not to brace from the shock studs, as the e-bay braces do. This is stupid. These are not load bearing studs. They can move about and flex, without affecting the suspension geometry. The upper A-arm studs, however, will have an effect on the geometry of the suspension. Notice that aftermarket camber kits move the mounting position of the upper A-arm, and not the shock. Strut based cars can use a camber plate, which moves where the top of the strut is mounted to the strut tower. Strut nuts are load bearing. Shock nuts are not. So, for Chrissake, mount the bars to what matter most. I must say it again. Shock nuts are a stupid place to mount the stantion. If the shock nuts (and, by extension, the upper perch of the shock) move in relation to the shock tower, then the geometry is not compromised. If the upper A-arm moves in relation to the hub, then the geometry will be affected. That is why the Neuspeed bar bolts to the rearmost upper A-arm studs on the front shock towers.

But, even with my crappy adjustable aluminum bar, I feel a difference. To be precise, when I drive around after pulling them off, I feel a difference. Installing them does not change the feel of a car, but removing them does.

-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

BuckNuttySep-24-03 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20153, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 14

"But, even with my crappy adjustable aluminum bar, I feel a difference. To be precise, when I drive around after pulling them off, I feel a difference. Installing them does not change the feel of a car, but removing them does."

You could have jus said tha tbill :p

talon614Sep-24-03 07:41 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2001
64 posts,
#20158, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 15

nespeed bar

Is your dash painted?

talon614Sep-24-03 07:43 PM
Member since Dec 19th 2001
64 posts,
#20159, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 16

I have the nuespeed bar the "ebay upper" RRE front lower stress bar and the tenzo R rear lower stress bar and the "ebay upper rear bar
with AWD pro kit and tokico illumanas

Is your dash painted?

The1BillSep-25-03 07:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20183, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah, is your dash painted? And who pissed on your exhaust manifold heatshield?

-=B-=

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.

sonny bkSep-30-03 01:31 PM
1171 posts,
#20265, "we do have struts"
In response to Reply # 14

>Cheap shock tower braces (they aren't strut tower braces, as
>we don't have strut towers, because we have shocks, not
>struts)

Actually, our fronts are struts and our backs are shocks.
Why do ya think they call it strut bar and not shock bar.

WTB:
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

nemesis_talonSep-24-03 09:50 PM
Member since Jul 02nd 2003
85 posts,
#20160, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 0

there's nothing wrong w/ them, they work very good. i noticed maybe a 50% less sway when i installed mine. there is only one problem: the peice that you connect w/ the top of the suspension is not that strong and will conform to the bend when you screw the bolts in, but it doesnt break. the actualy sway bar is steal and doesnt bend at all. these are adjustable and are very good money savers.
i got mine from power garage, they have alot of parts for suspension and intake systems. but, hey dont have the rear lower roll bar which is what i wanted.

CoprEklipzSep-25-03 02:44 AM
614 posts,
#20164, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 18

Jesus Bill, long enough post for a short enough answer?

Fuckin' showoff.

call me bitch.

BuckNuttySep-25-03 03:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20166, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 19

"call me bitch"

Bitch

The1BillSep-25-03 07:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20182, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 20

Bitch, I wasn't showing off.
Bitch, I was relaying pertinant information.
Bitch, it wasn't a simple question.
Bitch, it doesn't deserve a simple answer.
Bitch, don't make me shove this block up your ass!

-=B-=

HadesOmegaSep-25-03 08:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#20184, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 21
Sep-25-03 08:44 PM by HadesOmega

nothings wrong with em I have one. a strut bar is better than no strut bar. When you look at the way the chassis is shaped like a tub you'll want something there. As long as you install the bar right should be a problem. Man sure you tighten it, if you tighten it, it'll make it more rigid. You should hear a thunk when you tap on it. You should be able to lift the car up and down with it without it bending also.

hehe I got 2 strut bars though

heh if you really want a more rigid chassis look into spot welding or a roll cage hehe.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

The1BillSep-26-03 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20190, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 23

I am working on special bracing to make the car considerably stiffer. These would be weld-in bracing that is inspired by many other cars, such as the Evo. I will also be using structural foam injection to round out the package.
-=B-=

BuckNuttySep-26-03 12:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20192, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 24

I'm jus glad i live right near you, Bill. Its always interesting seeing what you have in your head happen

SquidSep-26-03 01:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#20193, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 25

I'm going to disagree with the mounting points and style of the bar.

First we have to agree about how the chassis deflects as you go into a turn. I’m sure we’ll both agree that it will twist and that the strut towers move inward towards each other.

So the job of the strut bar is to prevent the twisting and the towers from deflecting inward.

A horizontal bar along the same direction as the force will do nothing against the twisting. I’m sure at some point or another most of us have hammered together 4 pieces of wood to create a frame and noticed how easy it was to deflect it. To prevent twisting the structure needs to be triangulated. Ideally there would be a bar going from the top of one tower to the bottom of the other, but there’s an engine in the way so you can’t do that. So attaching to the firewall is your best bet to accomplish this. The firewall is made of thin sheet metal, yet so is the rest of the car and it manages to stand. I haven’t cross-sectioned an eclipse, but most cars have a bulkhead running along the cowl. I’m pretty sure the upper firewall can carry a load.

To prevent the towers from deflecting inward all you need is a beefy bar across it. But you’re better off with a pinned structure like the cheap ebay bar than the solid neuspeed bar. A pinned structural member only carries a load along its axis. It will not carry a flexural moment like a solid bar would. So a solid bar has to be rigid in flexure which means it has to have a large height (why an I-beam works). A pinned bar only has to prevent buckling which even for a small skinny bar is a very large load.

As far as mounting points on the towers I don’t think it matters much because I don’t believe local deflection of the towers is significant. But if you don’t want to make that assumption then mounting it to the upper A-arm bolts is probably not the place. Again since pinned members carry loads only along their axis the upper A-rams have a tendency to twist the bolts. And both the left and right upper arms will be stressed in the same direction and both bolts will twist; linking them together will do nothing to prevent this twisting.

-J

The1BillSep-26-03 05:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20197, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 26

I saw you post, and I thought "oh, shit, I am about to be schooled by the mechanical engineer." I agree with you in a lot of ways, though. However, the support near the dash sits a little bit lower and a bit further back. There is no cowl support, from what I have seen. There is, however, a beefy bar that holds the dashboard in place. This might be a viable alternative.

Mind you, this is all moot, in my opinion, as I don't think that any single bar can have a huge effect on torsional rigidity. I think that the primary purpose of a shock tower bar would be to keep the shock towers parallel. I don't think that anything short of major chassis modification or a roll cage would have an appreciable impact on torsional rigidity.

But, back to the firewall question, Here's a pic with the cowl removed. It's kinda big, but it shows the structure of the wall. I don't think that there is anything back there that would take the deflective load with any strength.
http://www.theta.net/nichols/newengdsm/mberte/DSC02709.JP G

-=B-=

SquidSep-26-03 06:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#20198, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 27
Sep-26-03 06:11 PM by Squid

You're right that it would take a complete redesign of the unidboy to eliminate any flex, but a properly designed strut bar can help some.

In that picture you posted the cowl and another support that lies behind it have been removed. If the strut bar mounted to the firewall as high as possible I think it would offer additional strength. Bent sheetmetal has quite a bit of strenth. Plus the loads of the strut bar would be working in sheer (mostly) with the firewall.

-J

The1BillSep-27-03 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20218, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 28

That is a good point. I am just not sure what the cowl support looks like. I guess that it would be possible to get some more rigidity out of it by bracing to the firewall, but why do that, when a 12 point roll cage would do the job and stiffen the chassis 500%-600% with a weight penalty of 160-200 lbs, and $2000 or so?
-=B-=

SquidSep-27-03 01:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#20219, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 29

>That is a good point. I am just not sure what the cowl
>support looks like. I guess that it would be possible to get
>some more rigidity out of it by bracing to the firewall, but
>why do that, when a 12 point roll cage would do the job and
>stiffen the chassis 500%-600% with a weight penalty of 160-200
>lbs, and $2000 or so?
>-=B-=

Damn you talked me into it. I'm getting a rollcage.

I was watching some car show this morning and showed the Shelby GT500E and I think this is one of the best strut bars I've seen as far as attaching to the firewall:

-J

The1BillSep-27-03 01:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20220, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 30

I like the setups that use the motor as a stressed member. I think tould be a neat way to keep, at the very least, the front subframe. This would be a neat way to do it, if it would be possible. Well, there go again, coming up with new ideas. Thanks. <grumble>

-=B-=

BuckNuttySep-28-03 10:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20232, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 31

ah shit....this mean i need to bring my welder out there so we can get two people under the car

sonny bkSep-30-03 01:32 PM
1171 posts,
#20266, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 32
Sep-30-03 01:34 PM by sonny bk

>Cheap shock tower braces (they aren't strut tower braces, as
>we don't have strut towers, because we have shocks, not
>struts)

Actually, our fronts are struts and our backs are shocks.
Why do ya think they call it strut bar and not shock bar.

>Huh? Scared to drive your car without $20 ebay strut bars?

My front strut bar is like night and day. I am a very aggressive driver and without the strut bar (even with my sport suspension) my whole chasis bends and makes my handling scary. I don't like driving without complete control.

WTB:
--internals
---------------HOLLA!!!

WIKKISep-30-03 06:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#20272, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 34

this is the best bang for your buck that I've installed. I got it from Bill Rhinehart from ASOG when they had a group buy. $55

lower tie brace

the funny thing is... without the $20 ebay tower bar, the car feels out of control. but together the work beautifully.

The1Bill, I can't beleive that you haven't made these for us yet.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

BuckNuttyOct-01-03 01:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#20275, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 35

He, along with myself, have the hurricane tie bars. Why make them when you can buy some damn good ones, IMO.

espilcEGSOct-01-03 02:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#20276, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 36

Has anyone looked into the subframe connectors from http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/sfcs.htm You may want to if you haven't.

05 STi

sonny bkOct-01-03 05:06 AM
1171 posts,
#20277, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 35

>this is the best bang for your buck that I've installed. I
>got it from Bill Rhinehart from ASOG when they had a group
>buy. $55
>
>
>.

$55 for a strip of metal? Can't you just buy that at Home Depot for like a couple of bucks? Im confused.

Looks easy enough to make myself in 10 minutes.

The1BillOct-01-03 06:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#20295, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 38

>Actually, our fronts are struts and our backs are shocks.
>Why do ya think they call it strut bar and not shock bar.

No, they are definately shocks. We have a multipoint suspension where the shocks are not a part of the suspension geometry. That means that they are shocks. Struts form part of the suspension geometry. If the fronts were struts, then we would be able to adjust camber by slotting the strut tower and moving the top mounting point of the shock. We can't, so, therefore, they are shocks. The suspension goes through it's nominal travel without the shocks.

-=B-=

sonny bkOct-01-03 07:48 PM
1171 posts,
#20296, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 39
Oct-01-03 07:56 PM by sonny bk

I'm too drunk to find the link, but i know that i bought the front struts and back tokico shocks for my car. Say what you want, but the front and back shocks/struts look completely different.
They told me (everywhere i went) that the front were struts and the back were shocks.

WIKKIOct-02-03 12:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#20310, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 38

>$55 for a strip of metal? Can't you just buy that at Home Depot for like a couple of bucks? Im confused.<

it looks that way, but it has spacers welded to it so that it fits up evenly, and the fit was perfect.
if you had the equipment and the resources, I'd bet you could do it for a lot less. but I don't.

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

blcktalipseOct-03-03 05:29 PM
Member since Sep 20th 2003
1067 posts,
#20343, "RE: What is wrong with the 20 dollar strut tower bars from ebay???"
In response to Reply # 41

i bought one off e-bay for around 20 bucks but works fine could deffinitly feel a difference only problem is that it goes over the oil filler but i can still take it off and use a small funnel to pour it in and its adjustable go for it buy one its only 20 bucks

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #20079 Previous topic | Next topic