Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19745
View in linear mode

Subject: "Removing front rotors..." Previous topic | Next topic
CoprEklipzSep-03-03 02:29 PM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19745, "Removing front rotors..."

So let's say my car had these newfangled "press-on, press-off" rotors on my 2GNT. Much like, say, a 99 Hyundai Elantra. I've recently purchased the rotors for a nice price of 30 a piece, but now am faced with the dilemma of getting the old ones off the car and putting the new ones on. I've tried everything mind you, and have now found out that my 2GNT (much like the 99 Hyundai Elantra) has these press on rotors. There is some form of a machine that is designed to remove the old rotors and then press on the new ones.

If I were to be in this dilemma with my 2GNT (or a 99 Hyundai Elantra), and REALLY want to do this normally simple job myself, where would I go about locating the machine to do this? Or better yet, what sort of shop should I give a buzz to to see if they have this machine to even do the work?

Thanks guys...I really need some help on this.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-03-03 02:46 PM, #1
RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-03-03 02:55 PM, #2
      RE: Removing front rotors..., bullox, Sep-03-03 03:05 PM, #3
           RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-03-03 03:13 PM, #4
           RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-03-03 03:14 PM, #5
                RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-03-03 03:15 PM, #6
                RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-03-03 03:15 PM, #7
                     RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-03-03 03:17 PM, #8
                          RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-03-03 03:21 PM, #9
                               RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-03-03 03:31 PM, #10
                                    RE: Removing front rotors..., WIKKI, Sep-03-03 05:30 PM, #11
                                         RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-04-03 11:30 AM, #12
                                              RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-04-03 12:46 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Removing front rotors..., CoprEklipz, Sep-04-03 01:30 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Removing front rotors..., turbo8u, Sep-04-03 01:37 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Removing front rotors..., The1Bill, Sep-04-03 03:19 PM, #16
RE: Removing front rotors..., TeamJasonESi_T, Sep-05-03 07:44 PM, #17

turbo8uSep-03-03 02:46 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19746, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 0

the front rotors come off easy....just undo the caliper bolts (2) and the bracket (2 bolts) that bolts to the back of the disc and the dust guard then take ur handy dandy rubber mallet and :bink bink: its off. the back is a diff story....

corbin has a write-up i believe on a drum to disc conversion, that might help for a visual if u need it on the back.

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CoprEklipzSep-03-03 02:55 PM
614 posts,
#19747, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 1

Ahh turbo8u, I appreciate the help, I do...but if you read my post carefully, there is a sinister hidden meaning in there.

Has anyone else caught my drift? Mods, please don't move this...there just aren't enough forums that can help me with such questions. You guys are the best, so I came to the best.

bulloxSep-03-03 03:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
#19748, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 2

when I took my fronts off a few months ago, they were on there good. I had to wail on em with a steel hammer pretty good. The way to do it is to hit it real good on the back, spin the hub a little, hit it again, repeat. eventually the rust will break loose and they will come off. Disclaimer: this will ruin your rotors. So you have to succeed at taking them off when you do this!

turbo8uSep-03-03 03:13 PM
10552 posts,
#19749, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 3

lol dont beat this shit out of them!!! theres humane ways of taking then off that work, rubber mallets and steel toe boots tend tow ork wonders on pretty much every part of a dsm

about your elantra lol (i get it now) sometimes the disc is actually bolted via the back of the hub by a couple bolts. look on the backside of the disc for any bolts that could be holding it on. if that doesnt help, read the manual

_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

CoprEklipzSep-03-03 03:14 PM
614 posts,
#19750, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 3

Ok, but lets say none of these things work because these rotors are special rotors that are pressed on and need a machine to get them off the hub (like on a 99 HYUNDAI ELANTRA). Where can I find such a machine or who would be able to perform this work besides the Hyundai...I mean, Mitsubish dealership?

turbo8uSep-03-03 03:15 PM
10552 posts,
#19751, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 5

ive never seen dics "pressed" on before, that wouldnt make to much sense. i bet they are just rusted into oblivion.
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

CoprEklipzSep-03-03 03:15 PM
614 posts,
#19752, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 5

Props to turbo8u for winning the elusive figure out what the fuck I'm talking about contest.

I'll check for bolts on the back, but it looks pretty clear to me. I was told they're pressed on and off with a machine, but I refuse to pay like 500 bucks just because I don't happen to have this machine.

Anyone with experience on this or advice, please post here

CoprEklipzSep-03-03 03:17 PM
614 posts,
#19753, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-03-03 03:17 PM by CoprEklipz

To add, I called Pep boys to ask if they could pop the old ones off and put the new ones on, and the first thing out of his mouth when i said the year make and model was "oh those are the press on ones, right?"

So they do exist...fuckin stupid Hyundai-err...DSM

turbo8uSep-03-03 03:21 PM
10552 posts,
#19754, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 8

well have u ever heard of the phrase "hub centric"? its where the wheel is held on by the hub (escentially a minor "press" fir if you will) i say look around for some bolts holdin it on and if it doesnt work..... beat on it. it will come off, those elantras arent THAT beefy :-P try doin the brakes on a ferrari, now THATS some fun
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

CoprEklipzSep-03-03 03:31 PM
614 posts,
#19755, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 9

I'm about ready to take out the jack stands and start driving on just the rotors. Might cost me the pavement in my driveway, but if that dont get the rotors off, nothing will. So sad. A Hyundai kicking my ass.

WIKKISep-03-03 05:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#19756, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 10

Do they use a steering wheel puller like most of the rotors I have worked on? do they have two (or more) threaded holes spread around the center?

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

CoprEklipzSep-04-03 11:30 AM
614 posts,
#19757, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 11

They do have two threaded holes on either side of the center hub. Or perhaps I should say...used to. On one rotor I've completely drilled out the threaded holes because the heads to the screws came off in my attempt to remove them, so now one rotor has two 1/8" holes going straight through where the screws used to be. On the other rotor one screw head snapped clean off and the other the head is stripped, but still intact. I'm going to have a go at a 5 ton puller tomorrow, see if that maybe works...but hopes are dim. Any help guys?

turbo8uSep-04-03 12:46 PM
10552 posts,
#19758, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 12

please dont tell me your doing the rears and left the e-brake on

i'd laugh
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

CoprEklipzSep-04-03 01:30 PM
614 posts,
#19759, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 13

^^^^ reeed the subjekt meeetbal

turbo8uSep-04-03 01:37 PM
10552 posts,
#19760, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 14

i love it when i own myself

so u get those bitches off yet??
_________
96 talon esi-t
san clemente, ca

The1BillSep-04-03 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#19761, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 15

I think that if you could get the hub off of the car with the rotor still on it, any mechanic or machine shop with a 20 tonne press should be able to press it off, no problem. Too bad I haven't acquired a press yet, eh?
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

TeamJasonESi_TSep-05-03 07:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#19762, "RE: Removing front rotors..."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BrakeRotors.html

Here's what I've used time and time again.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19745 Previous topic | Next topic