Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19552
View in linear mode

Subject: "strange popping kind of noise" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonAug-25-03 06:49 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19552, "strange popping kind of noise"

it only happens when i go over a bump, like one where if you go fast enough you will jump it, not like a speed bump, it's smooth. anyway, when my car is up at the top of its travel, i hear one pop. i have no idea what it is. sometimes it happens when i reverse.

mind you, only one pop. could something be loose?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: strange popping kind of noise, 95_ESi_Person, Aug-26-03 03:41 PM, #1
RE: strange popping kind of noise, Attrayant, Aug-27-03 04:16 PM, #2
      RE: strange popping kind of noise, 95_ESi_Person, Aug-28-03 10:11 AM, #3
           RE: strange popping kind of noise, EclipseRS-T, Sep-05-03 12:04 AM, #4
                RE: strange popping kind of noise, FarOutKucki, Sep-08-03 09:29 PM, #5
                     RE: strange popping kind of noise, run4cvr, Sep-09-03 08:16 AM, #6
                          RE: strange popping kind of noise, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-09-03 09:21 AM, #7
                               RE: strange popping kind of noise, TeamDR1665, Sep-09-03 10:11 AM, #8
                                    RE: strange popping kind of noise, develitate, Sep-10-03 12:00 AM, #9
                                         RE: strange popping kind of noise, MotoFool, Sep-11-03 07:29 PM, #10
                                              RE: strange popping kind of noise, TeamDR1665, Sep-12-03 04:11 PM, #11
                                                   RE: strange popping kind of noise, MotoFool, Sep-13-03 06:31 PM, #12
                                                        RE: strange popping kind of noise, TeamDR1665, Sep-14-03 08:24 AM, #13
                                                             RE: strange popping kind of noise, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-14-03 10:11 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: strange popping kind of noise, TeamDR1665, Sep-15-03 02:49 PM, #15

95_ESi_PersonAug-26-03 03:41 PM
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19572, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 0

anybody?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AttrayantAug-27-03 04:16 PM
Member since May 25th 2003
286 posts,
#19591, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 1

CV joint or seal going bad??

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS - Sold
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

95_ESi_PersonAug-28-03 10:11 AM
3260 posts,
#19602, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 2

it's not cv, because when turning i don't hear popping, this is more of a clunk, and only happens once, like over a hump, when the suspension would be completely extended.... could it be a bad motor mount, or trans mount?

EclipseRS-TSep-05-03 12:04 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
432 posts,
#19732, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 3

actually it is the CV, just have the CV changed and the boot as well. I just had that problem with the whole click thing, or pop as u say. Part cost is 21 bucks, if you are going to have the shop do it, make sure they change everything down to the axle, not just half the boot then pops will still occur. Hope this helps

SoCal Meet Sept 04'

FarOutKuckiSep-08-03 09:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2719 posts,
#19803, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 4

are all your motor mounts torqued correctly?

run4cvrSep-09-03 08:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#19804, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 5

Also check your rear knuckle arm bushings. When mine were worn out i heard a pop/clunk sound occasionally when going over bumps.

John 96 GS

95_ESi_PersonSep-09-03 09:21 AM
3260 posts,
#19806, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 6

i think they are all torqued properly..... the only one i took off (just the center bolt) was the front motor mount.... anybody know the torque for that?

TeamDR1665Sep-09-03 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#19813, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 7

interesting...

I have a similar thing going on right now. I thought it was CV but maybe i'll get lucky and it will be something simple. Mine will give a single pop as I start to accelerate and then again just before I stop. Not really bump related, but certainly similar symptoms.

I have 3/4 of my mounts replaced with the solid filled ones, but maybe the one that isn't is wearing out due to the extra stress being transferred from the other 3? Hmmm...

develitateSep-10-03 12:00 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
128 posts,
#19824, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 8

my 95 does the same exact thing as 95_ESi_Person. When I pull out or into my driveway I go over a 1" lip and I can hear a poping sound coming from the front right side of the car. Its been doing it for awhile and its driving me crazy. I had it in the shop a few months ago for the 60k service and asked them to look at it, but they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it. what can I expect to pay for this to get fixed? what eles could be causing this? thanks

MotoFoolSep-11-03 07:29 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#19866, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 9

its ball joints mang...

Bill

mine does it i need new uppers already got new lowers dealer recall didn't replace them either mumbles...

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

TeamDR1665Sep-12-03 04:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#19879, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 10

better not be mang! I just had the recall done not too long ago and had no problems before that! grrr!

MotoFoolSep-13-03 06:31 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#19897, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 11

they dont replace uppers usualy only lowers

its the uppers that make the noise too...

doh they are like 120$ an arm too

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

TeamDR1665Sep-14-03 08:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#19906, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 12

How could you test such a thing? Visual inspection then? What to look for? Would this only occur on bumps? I am starting to get more pops, but still only on accel and a single pop when braking.

95_ESi_PersonSep-14-03 10:11 AM
3260 posts,
#19908, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 13
Sep-14-03 10:12 AM by 95_ESi_Person

mine *sometimes* (only once in a blue moon) happens in reverse, and only one pop..... and sometimes over a rather large bump....

there is NO play in the upper ball joints, i checked everything when i had to replace my axle seals in the differential....

it was rainy out last night and i spun the tires and got some wicked wheel hop,, could it just be a motor mount wearing out? possibly the front

TeamDR1665Sep-15-03 02:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#19941, "RE: strange popping kind of noise"
In response to Reply # 14

Well I'm sure you know where teh two fron mounts are on the car by now. Those are pretty much the ones you can see without removing the battery and tray. I'm guessing they would be all crusty looking or dried up and cracked.

Maybe someone has a set of filled mounts you could buy?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19552 Previous topic | Next topic