Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19501
View in linear mode

Subject: "??? about brakes. Please help" Previous topic | Next topic
shybuckAug-19-03 08:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19501, "??? about brakes. Please help"

I need new rotors and calipers all around in the rear. For some reason my car came equiped with awd calipers in the rear, I dont know about the rotor, except the caliper only uses about half the thickness of the rotor. I know fwd calipers are bigger in the rear. Satan was trying to tell me that the rotor is 15" that cant be cause my car came with 14" wheels. So is there any company that sells a package with rotors and calipers for 300-400. And is a bigger caliper better than a bigger rotor. Satan claims that fwd has a 14" rotor but larger caliper and awd has 15" rotor but smaller caliper. Or can I use fwd calipers on awd rotors. I know rre claims they are the same rotor but I order aftermarket and brought them back because the caliper did fit. I dont know about the big brake kits so any help is appreciated.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MCubed45Aug-23-03 10:09 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19527, "RE: ??? about brakes. Please help"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-23-03 10:18 AM by MCubed45

ok that was confusing...

all GS/GST/GSX's have the exact same calipers in the REAR. the RS has drum brakes in the back.

the FRONT calipers on all RS/GS/GST are exactly the same (single piston). the GSX has dual piston calipers up front. if you upgrade to GSX calipers up front, you will also need to switch to GSX rotors. GSX front rotors are slighty bigger than the RS/GS/GST rotors. i'm pretty sure they will not fit under 14" rims either.

what are you looking to do? upgrade or just replace?

big brake kits are usually just a larger rotor and a bracket to move the caliper farther out to accomodate the larger rotor. as far as performance the most noticable and cost effective gain would probably be from swapping in the GSX calipers up front.

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Hanabi 8000k HID
SPAL Deluxe Power Windows
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM Rotors

255 is fricken short

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bono316Aug-23-03 01:47 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2003
301 posts,
#19530, "RE: ??? about brakes. Please help"
In response to Reply # 1

Very confusing....if I'm not mistaken, our stock rotors (RS,GS) ar only 10" in diameter. Brembo brakes are more like 13" or so. Satan will tell you anything to try to make a buck. Maybe you are confusing the wheel size with the rotor size?? Also, I'm pretty sure you will never find larger calipers on the rear than on the front. Simple physics. I think the dude at Satan was born yesterday. Go with the Brembo rotor/caliper upgrade if you have $2500 lying around. That's one of my dreams. Good luck!

MCubed45Aug-23-03 11:32 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#19535, "RE: ??? about brakes. Please help"
In response to Reply # 2

or that sick wilwood kit that what's his name has... the one with 6 piston calipers... hehe that's a tad excessive and expensive though

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix TypeX CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM 12.5" X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors

255 is fricken short

shybuckAug-24-03 02:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#19540, "RE: ??? about brakes. Please help"
In response to Reply # 3

thanx but I am just looking for the best solution for the rear. Upgrade or by stock. The rear calipers ARE to different sizes. I just dont know about the rotor. If the rotors are the same no matter what model than the bigger caliper/cheaper is better?

bono316Aug-24-03 05:36 PM
Member since Jul 14th 2003
301 posts,
#19544, "RE: ??? about brakes. Please help"
In response to Reply # 4

In would go back to stock rotors/calipers in the rear, and save for an upgrade to your front, since those brakes have most of the stopping power. If you go with a big brake upgrade up front, buy stock-size rotors for the rear that will match your new rotors up front, and paint the stock calipers in the rear to match the front ones. Just my 2 cents.

-Ponce

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19501 Previous topic | Next topic