Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19374
View in linear mode

Subject: "Testing Calipers" Previous topic | Next topic
SquidAug-10-03 03:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19374, "Testing Calipers"

I finally got my GSX calipers. Is there anyway to test to make sure they are still working 100%.

It’s pretty obvious they have been sitting around for some time.

The guide pin in one of the calipers was rusted to hell, but I managed to get it out. I’m defiantly replacing the guide pins.

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SquidAug-11-03 02:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19401, "RE: Testing Calipers"
In response to Reply # 0

No ideas?

-J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CoprEklipzAug-13-03 08:20 PM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#19459, "RE: Testing Calipers"
In response to Reply # 1

Throw them on the car, accelerate to 60, and hit the brake....

Oh, and pray

Let me know how yours are going...mine have to go on soon too I got those pads for you whenever we can meet, maybe tomorrow?

ModeratorVX100Aug-14-03 05:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#19460, "RE: Testing Calipers"
In response to Reply # 2

Jason, do you mean test to see if they work, or test to see if they drag?

If you want to check for excessive drag, you wrap a bungee cord around the wheel lugs and attach it to one of those tension gauges (I think they usually read in ft*lbs) and there is a specification for how much drag the setup should have. If it's over that specification then you need to have somethng fixed.

If you want to check if they work, I'd say a big parking lot, taking it easy, gradualy increasing speed with each try of the brakes, and have a hand on the e-brake just in case Or you could spin the wheel while the car is in the air and test it that way, to at least make sure it's doing something. I know, not two very good suggestions, but it's the best I can do.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

SquidAug-14-03 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
927 posts,
#19461, "RE: Testing Calipers"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm gonig to try the going by the service manual and measure the drag.

Then I guess I'll try the parking lot/e-brake/pray meathod.

-J

HadesOmegaAug-15-03 03:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#19467, "RE: Testing Calipers"
In response to Reply # 4

Just clean em up good and make sure the boots and seals aren't bad. Then just throw em on, if theres anything wrong it'd probably the rest of your braking system.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19374 Previous topic | Next topic