Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19350
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?" Previous topic | Next topic
xEclipsE RaceRxAug-08-03 12:50 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19350, "Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"

I went to a shop yesterday and got a front end alignment, and on the way home I noticed my car was sliding all over at highspeeds on the interstate. Like i had bald rear tires driving in the rain. So I go back and try and get a rear end alignment, they couldnt move the toe bolt. It was seized on there. So I goto another shop and they adjust it, but it wont adjust enough. And my toe is still way out of whack He told me to research and try and find a toe adjuster bracket or something...what do you think? My rear left tire is slightly off...and the rear right side is way off way way off. I have the exact specs if that helps anyone.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, Mannyyy, Aug-08-03 05:21 PM, #1
RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-09-03 04:41 AM, #2
      RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, HadesOmega, Aug-09-03 09:37 PM, #3
           RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-10-03 05:05 AM, #4
                RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, Mannyyy, Aug-10-03 02:11 PM, #5
                     RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-11-03 10:47 AM, #6
                          RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-11-03 11:04 AM, #7
                               RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-11-03 11:53 AM, #8

MannyyyAug-08-03 05:21 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19354, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 0

Here's a pic I took from Chilton's.

To adjust rear toe, you adjust the toe lower control arm, label by the number 2. To do that, first you loosen the nut (circled) then from behind you turn the bolt and that moves the arm in or out. There are little hash marks on both sides of that bolt. Each mark represents about 1.5mm.

If your alignment shop can't figure this out, please don't teach them... go somewhere else. If they did this and adjusted it all the way and it's still out of spec... then it's probably a bent control arm or something.

-Manny

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-09-03 04:41 AM
2982 posts,
#19359, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-09-03 04:44 AM by xEclipsE RaceRx

Yea they did that...but it still wouldnt adjust.
Left Rear Tire
Toe: 0.02 (specified 0.00 - 0.24)

Right Rear Tire
Toe: -1.03 (Specified 0.00 - 0.24)

My right is rear off, so do you think its only my control arm? A lady dide side swipe me in the side like 2 years ago in the right rear (where they are having all the probs. its did leave a big golf size gash above the rim in the 1/4 panel. Do you think it could be that? So do you think I only have to goto a junk yard and get a used control arm? Could it be anything else?
I do have a camber kit if that matters in the rear.

HadesOmegaAug-09-03 09:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#19370, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 2

then you have a tweaked crossmember. I spun out in the rain one time and the rear wheel hit the curb. THe crossmember didn't rip off but it got bent inward. SO I go get a wheel alignment and they can't adjust it enough because the bend puts it out of the adjustment limits. So I bought a new crossmember and they were able to align it within specs thought the camber was jacked up still O_o that where the camber adjusters come into play. Haha sux when you mess up drifting.

anyway has your car been in and accidents?

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-10-03 05:05 AM
2982 posts,
#19375, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-10-03 05:10 AM by xEclipsE RaceRx

Yea...2 years ago a lady side swiped me right in the rear passengers side (where the tow is way off) only thought there was exterior damage, didnt check underneath. Also like 1.5 years ago i was showing off at school and ended up jumping a big curve and ending up in the soccer field no body damage tho

there goes a pic of it look above the rear wheelwell. Where can I get a new rear crossmember? How much it cost?

Is #5 the crossmember?

MannyyyAug-10-03 02:11 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
#19387, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 4

>>Where can I get a new rear crossmember? How much it cost?

It's $153.25 at Conicelli Parts Center. Not too bad, but you might find it cheaper at a local junkyard too.

>>Is #5 the crossmember?

Yup.

Make sure that's the problem though. Try looking around underneath for any abnormal bends, I wouldn't want you to just replace a part that had nothing wrong. The alignment shop should've looked into that when they found it couldn't get within spec.

-Manny

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-11-03 10:47 AM
2982 posts,
#19417, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 5

Man...i dont know whats bent....the lower toe control arm or the big cross member....im sure if i looked for any bends...i couldnt detect them...so what should i do. Buy the crossmember first...then see if that works...if it dont...then i guess control arms...but thats a lot of wasted money. Man..i dont know what to do.

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-11-03 11:04 AM
2982 posts,
#19418, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok...well i just went underneath my car and looked...didnt see anything...hugely abnormal. I think I will probably buy the control arms first then if that dont work, buy the cross member, if that dont work. Im just gonna sell my car and get a gst damnit. Someone please help me or give me advice. So I will be replacing #7 then #19

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-11-03 11:53 AM
2982 posts,
#19419, "RE: Shops CANT ADJUST rear TOE....what do I do?"
In response to Reply # 7

ok sorry im post whoring in my post...lol...but i just got done talking to the mechanic that worked on my car, and he said that nothing looked bent, it was just the bolt on the control arm, he said he wasnt moving as freely as it should have, and he told me to get some replacement bolts, so i ordered 2 from mitsubishi, and what do you guys think? Think that this bolt can fix the problem?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19350 Previous topic | Next topic