Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19272
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!" Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseAug-03-03 02:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19272, "Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"

I am trying to install my new lowering springs and I can't seem to get the nut that holds the sway bar link to the damper fork off. I have a socket on the outside one and a wrench on the inner nut. I can get the outer one to turn but the inner nut just keeps on stripping. The damn wrench won't stay on it. Any ideas on how to get this fucker off? Thanks

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-03-03 02:40 PM, #1
RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, 1FastEclipse, Aug-03-03 02:47 PM, #2
      RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, BoostedGS, Aug-03-03 02:59 PM, #3
           RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, 1FastEclipse, Aug-03-03 03:11 PM, #4
           RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, 96eclipse2nr, Aug-03-03 06:07 PM, #5
                RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, espilcEGS, Aug-04-03 05:36 AM, #6
                     RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, rgirard413, Aug-04-03 06:33 AM, #7
                     RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, 1FastEclipse, Aug-04-03 06:58 AM, #8
                          RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, rgirard413, Aug-04-03 07:04 AM, #9
                               RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, eclipse_99rs, Aug-04-03 12:17 PM, #10
                                    RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, clipse2g95, Mar-18-05 02:52 PM, #11
                                         RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, turbo8u, Mar-19-05 01:03 PM, #12
                     RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, eclipse_99rs, Mar-22-05 10:44 AM, #15
           RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, kain_99gs, Mar-19-05 03:05 PM, #13
                RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!, turbo8u, Mar-19-05 03:15 PM, #14

TeamXtremeRSAug-03-03 02:40 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19273, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 0

If i remember right, the inside bolt should have a allen slot head, where you can get an allen wrench in it, and then use an open end wrench to turn the nut off. Then just hold that allen wrench, and that will keep the center bolt from turning..its been a while since i've had that off, but i'm pretty sure thats how it is..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1FastEclipseAug-03-03 02:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#19274, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 1

It's not really a bolt on the inside, it is more like a thin nut.

BoostedGSAug-03-03 02:59 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
#19275, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-03-03 03:00 PM by BoostedGS

You might want to try a line wrench. A line wrench will hold 5 sides of the nut for better grip on that thin inside nut, so you don't strip it. Here's a pic of some line wrenches so you know what I'm talking about.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

1FastEclipseAug-03-03 03:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#19276, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 3

ahh got ya, looks like I'm gonna have to buy more tools!

96eclipse2nrAug-03-03 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
#19277, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 4

2 words: vice grips (a.k.a locking pliers)

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

espilcEGSAug-04-03 05:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#19283, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 5

Had to cut mine off and buy new end links.

05 STi

rgirard413Aug-04-03 06:33 AM
Member since Jun 27th 2002
425 posts,
#19284, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 6

I just did my front suspension, what bolt are you talking about exactly? Can you identify it on the caps:

1FastEclipseAug-04-03 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#19286, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 7

looks like 40654

rgirard413Aug-04-03 07:04 AM
Member since Jun 27th 2002
425 posts,
#19287, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 8

yea, that one was a pain, if you cant get it off, you could try disconnecting wehre the control arm connects to teh body of the car. next to the three bolts under the hood. There two larger bolts on each side. Try taking those out, and see if you can slide the strut out, by just taking out the upper fork nut. I had to do this for my drivers side, but i got the swaybar link off the fork, so im not sure if it will work.

eclipse_99rsAug-04-03 12:17 PM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#19289, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 9

there are two kinds of the same part. Meaning the earlier model eclipses LINK came with a spot to use a wrench and the later models u have to use an allen wrench. I had the same problem, I ended up cutting it off and buying a new one at satan for like $25.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

clipse2g95Mar-18-05 02:52 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2004
167 posts,
#26582, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 10

I have to buy one from satan now too seeing that every single auto parts store doesnt carry sway bar links. Is that how much they are, $25? I hope not more. Also, how can I cut off the old sway bar link? Thanks!

turbo8uMar-19-05 01:03 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26592, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 11

14mm wrench on one side, socket on the other.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

eclipse_99rsMar-22-05 10:44 AM
Member since Apr 11th 2002
2659 posts,
#26643, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-22-05 10:46 AM by eclipse_99rs

back from the dead.

myspace.com/coastiecobb

kain_99gsMar-19-05 03:05 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#26594, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by BoostedGS
You might want to try a line wrench. A line wrench will hold 5 sides of the nut for better grip on that thin inside nut, so you don't strip it. Here's a pic of some line wrenches so you know what I'm talking about.

Aren't those called "Flare Nut Wrenches" or used for flare nuts =? sorry i am not experienced

turbo8uMar-19-05 03:15 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26595, "RE: Help! I can't get this Damn Bolt off!"
In response to Reply # 13
Mar-19-05 03:16 PM by turbo8u

Originally posted by kain_99gs
Aren't those called "Flare Nut Wrenches" or used for flare nuts =? sorry i am not experienced

yup, same thing. they work great on fuel and brake lines because they dont slip off.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19272 Previous topic | Next topic