Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does OFFSET effect camber?" Previous topic | Next topic
xEclipsE RaceRxJul-26-03 10:36 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19144, "Does OFFSET effect camber?"

I was just wondering if like the 38 offset of my rim effects camber? LIke if i got a 42 offset rim i wonder if the tires would go bald as fast as they do on the inside as they do with now. What do you think?
BTW i dont know if my offset is 38, but its just an example

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, Mannyyy, Jul-27-03 11:55 AM, #1
RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, WickedESi, Jul-28-03 10:30 PM, #2
      RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Jul-29-03 04:09 AM, #3
      RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, 808dsmtuner, Jul-29-03 07:30 AM, #4
      RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, Mannyyy, Jul-29-03 09:03 AM, #5
           RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, mkerley, Jul-29-03 05:07 PM, #6
                RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?, WickedESi, Jul-31-03 09:55 PM, #7

MannyyyJul-27-03 11:55 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19148, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nope, I don't see how it would. I replaced my stock 16's with 46mm offset with 18's that have 38mm offset, camber looks about the same.

-Manny

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WickedESiJul-28-03 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#19167, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know if it would make a "noticeable" difference but a larger offset will wear the insides of your tire faster if you don't have any camber correction.

I have 17x7's w/ a +42mm offset, dropped w/ Sportlines, Ingalls front camber kit (w/ polyurethane bushings, $125 off the group buy center) and the $25 Ingalls rear spindle bracket spacers w/ bolts, and my camber and toe are smack in the middle of spec (after Sears aligned it for $59).

xEclipsE RaceRxJul-29-03 04:09 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#19175, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 2

OK I just found out that I have a +43 offset wow thats pretty big, well I have front and rear ingalls xtreme camber kit, and I guess that people that did the job didnt do a good job, b/c my tires still go out fast. I remember going to sears and they said they wouldnt align my car because its lowered. Howd you get them to do your car?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

808dsmtunerJul-29-03 07:30 AM
Member since Dec 29th 2002
665 posts,
#19176, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah sears wont do it cause the dont have experienced techs to do it. and they dont have the right equipment just go to like your local tire shop and they should be able to do it i never would trust sears i remember when they put the tires on my mugen rims, damn big ass scratch in my new $180 rims i was so pissed and in order for them to fix it i had to wait 6 months for the claim to pass. i never go to sears anymore

hawaii boy

MannyyyJul-29-03 09:03 AM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
#19177, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 2

Wicked, or anyone else who knows... what's the recommended spec for the rear wheels? Are they supposed to toe out a little bit or be dead straight?

-Manny

mkerleyJul-29-03 05:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#19187, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 5

as far as toe goes, the spec is 3mm +/- 3mm, so anywhere from 0 to 6mm is in spec according to the manual

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

WickedESiJul-31-03 09:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#19236, "RE: Does OFFSET effect camber?"
In response to Reply # 6

Umm, it may just be the Sears in my area, but they have the most up to date equipment, everything computerized on flat monitor touch screens w/ a virtual model of the alignment in progress. They welcomed me to watch, I asked, (had to wear saftey goggles), and the guy doing mine actually knew what he was doing, so that was a relief. I told the guy which Ingalls kits I had (xtreme on the front, and the +1 to +3 degree $25 Ingalls spacer, washer/bolt, kit for the back). He loaded those Ingalls kits on the screen, and it told him how they adjust... pimp.

He got everything almost dead center of spec (came with a before/after/spec print out sheet of camber, caster, toe, cross camber, cross caster, total toe).

Spec for rear camber is -2.2deg to -1.2deg.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19144 Previous topic | Next topic