Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19002
View in linear mode

Subject: "What are brake SHIMS?" Previous topic | Next topic
xEclipsE RaceRxJul-18-03 06:59 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19002, "What are brake SHIMS?"

I was just wondering what they are and what exactly do they do b/c I just recieved my GSX calipers and mounts, but in the write up it says for the conversion you need the shims also, well they didnt come with the calipers and mounts, so i was wondering what they do and can I continue the installation without them. Or can I pick them up at like an Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Oriely, or Napa, or pep boys, some place like that? THANKS

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamDR1665Jul-21-03 10:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#19036, "RE: What are brake SHIMS?"
In response to Reply # 0

I wonder if that means the shims that go between the back of the pads and the pistons? If so, I would think you could skip em, but I'm not sure. I'm just thinking maybe you could use the bump that came with the bump?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

djtrickeeJul-21-03 04:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#19039, "RE: What are brake SHIMS?"
In response to Reply # 1

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=18497&mesg_id=18497&page=4#18521

Cereal5Jul-22-03 11:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#19052, "RE: What are brake SHIMS?"
In response to Reply # 2

I posted this on your other thread, but just to say it again, I didn't end up using shims, and my brakes are fine. So most will say it's not really necessary, although I don't see how it would hurt, especially for the price.

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

xEclipsE RaceRxJul-22-03 12:00 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#19054, "RE: What are brake SHIMS?"
In response to Reply # 3

Well where can I get shims and retaining clips? I dont have those gold clips you have

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/MyEclipse/VIS%20CF%20Hood/

Cereal5Jul-22-03 01:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#19055, "RE: What are brake SHIMS?"
In response to Reply # 4

Satan. They shouldn't be too expensive. Those aren't shims, they are retaining clips, and they are what hold the brake pad on... just in case you didnt know

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #19002 Previous topic | Next topic