Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18311
View in linear mode

Subject: "clicking noise from wheel" Previous topic | Next topic
Smoke HondaJun-11-03 06:40 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
563 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18311, "clicking noise from wheel"

ok, see if you guys can figure this one out. there's a clicking noise coming from my front wheels only when i am doing a turn driving slowly. i thought it was the bearing, and it wasn't. i replaced my CV joint. nothing. i then replaced the structs with some tokico blues. same thing keeps on freaking clicking. and then, i replaced my springs. i thought my dropzone was out of whack. so i went out and brought a new set. STILL CLICK.... HELP "ME"! this clicking noise is getting to be really embarrrassing and GODDAMN annoying. BTW, i pretty damn sure it isn't my camber. TI

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: clicking noise from wheel, Seth, Jun-11-03 07:39 AM, #1
RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-11-03 11:49 AM, #2
      RE: clicking noise from wheel, xeraxes, Jun-11-03 07:01 PM, #3
RE: clicking noise from wheel, KSeclipse, Jun-11-03 08:12 PM, #4
RE: clicking noise from wheel, SpreadEagle, Jun-11-03 11:12 PM, #5
      RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-12-03 06:01 AM, #6
           RE: clicking noise from wheel, SpreadEagle, Jun-12-03 07:17 PM, #7
                RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-13-03 05:49 AM, #8
                     RE: clicking noise from wheel, SpreadEagle, Jun-13-03 02:33 PM, #9
                          RE: clicking noise from wheel, CopperEclipse96, Jun-14-03 07:36 AM, #10
                               RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-14-03 02:13 PM, #11
                                    RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-14-03 04:01 PM, #12
                                         RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-14-03 08:10 PM, #13
                                              RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-15-03 12:40 PM, #14
                                                   RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-16-03 11:08 AM, #15
                                                        RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-16-03 06:53 PM, #16
                                                             RE: clicking noise from wheel, TeamMetalJim, Jun-16-03 08:38 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: clicking noise from wheel, Smoke Honda, Jun-16-03 11:35 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-17-03 03:13 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-17-03 03:14 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: clicking noise from wheel, 2g99RSNC, Jun-17-03 03:16 AM, #21
                                                                       RE: clicking noise from wheel, TeamMetalJim, Jun-17-03 10:14 AM, #22

SethJun-11-03 07:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
103 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18312, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 0

It's probably a broken axle.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Smoke HondaJun-11-03 11:49 AM
563 posts,
#18317, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 1

no, not a broken axle. i'm pretty sure. car can still hit triple digit easily. any other suggestions???

xeraxesJun-11-03 07:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
154 posts,
#18331, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 2

mine was doing some clicking after i put a camber kit on. turns out the clicking was coming from the tire rubbing against the gas lines cover that we had taken off and not put back on correctly. dont know if this will fix your problem though.

Jason
---------------------
99 White GS
Tanabe Super Racing Medallion
Apex-I S-AFC, Springs
AF/X Underdrive Pulley
Fully tied suspension

KSeclipseJun-11-03 08:12 PM
899 posts,
#18334, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 0

have you had the ball joint recall done? mine does that same shit, people always look at me like wtf? lol but i heard that once you get the recal done it fixes it, and the clicking means it's about to go out.

SpreadEagleJun-11-03 11:12 PM
Member since May 29th 2003
459 posts,
#18336, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 4

I had my ball joint go out before I had the recall work done, if it was clicking I didn't hear it. When it went the car and I went for about a 40 yard belly slide, not fun. If there's a chance that's the problem I'd park it til you can get under there and check it out or take it in for service, I had pretty much no steering or braking when mine buckled. Just looking out for ya. Now, I am in no way trying to insult your intelligence with this next part, but have you checked your tire for a nail or a screw, sometimes those can trick your ears into thinking it's something mechanical (well it did me once anyway).

95ESI-intake,borla,sportlines,kyb,17"TSW
Momo Montecarlo(srs light stuck on for 3 years)
yep, nothin special

Smoke HondaJun-12-03 06:01 AM
563 posts,
#18341, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 5

the tires looks fine, no nails or anything. I did however get the recall done. can the bearing actually go bad again? i had it done a couple of years ago. if however, it is bad, satan wouldn't fix it for free right? because i have aftermarket stuff on?

SpreadEagleJun-12-03 07:17 PM
459 posts,
#18360, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 6

It shouldn't go bad again that quickly, but anything's possible. I don't know if excessive negative camber can wear them out quickly or not. I've had nothing but bad experiences going to dealerships with aftermarket stuff on, they love to blame stuff on mods. You might be able to get away with going to a different one and telling them you haven't had the recall done yet. If you can get 'em done free again and it's still clicking you can at least eliminate that as a possibility.

yep, nothin special

Smoke HondaJun-13-03 05:49 AM
563 posts,
#18374, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 7

im pretty sure that have it listed in the computer systems, but ill give it a try. but what if it isn't the bearing? what else could it be? i know that there's no accidents on this car, so what couldn't happened that made it click so bad, i mean i don't even try yo drive it hard anymore, and i try to avoid all potholes. any other ideas??

SpreadEagleJun-13-03 02:33 PM
459 posts,
#18380, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 8

You've already replaced so much stuff I'm stumped (not uncommon for me). Maybe a suspension bushing somewhere or something in the steering? Good luck with it, sounds frustrating as hell!

yep, nothin special

CopperEclipse96Jun-14-03 07:36 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2003
2532 posts,
#18382, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 9

Depending on what wheels you have, check the wheel cap. On my stock wheels, the wheel cap wasn't snapped in, and it would move all over the place when I drove and made a clicking noise like ceramic on metal. When I figured out what it was, I felt stupid, but at least I didn't go replacing stuff. Doubt that it's your problem, but it's an idea.

---------------------------------------

-Ian
-1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (SOLD!)
-2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO
-2003 CBR600RR

Smoke HondaJun-14-03 02:13 PM
563 posts,
#18393, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 10
Jun-14-03 02:16 PM by Smoke Honda

no, i got the 5 zigen 17's, i know i brought the right size, and i even torqued it on different occasions. just to make sure. i'm getting pretty fed up with this crap, nothing like this ever happened when i lowered my 300zx and 325i. I'm pretty sure this car is gonna get sold pretty soon. sorry to say. thanks everyone for responding so quick. PEACE!!!

BTW: i did look at the wheel gap. i think it was the first thing i looked at aside from checking the air press. and it wasn't it. thanks

2g99RSNCJun-14-03 04:01 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
894 posts,
#18397, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 11

ok does it happen when u turn a certain direction like if u turn left and here it but u turn right and u dont it would be a front right bearing. Also if u here it all the time have u checked ur brakes to see how they r i rode in vechicles where they make a kind of ticking noise when the brakes pads r getting low to worn the driver that they r low. There is a soft piece of metal that is on ur brake pads that makes a noise if ur pads r low so check that.

Smoke HondaJun-14-03 08:10 PM
563 posts,
#18405, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 12

any pics would help alot, thanks.

2g99RSNCJun-15-03 12:40 PM
894 posts,
#18415, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 13

sorry i dont have ne pics but pull of a wheel and check ur brakes also does it make it when u turn and if so which way?

Smoke HondaJun-16-03 11:08 AM
563 posts,
#18447, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 14

it's makes the sound more alot more offent when turning left more then right. i think i know what you're talking about. so, are you trying to say that there's no way to prevent this??

2g99RSNCJun-16-03 06:53 PM
894 posts,
#18454, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 15

if ur turning left that means pressure is going on the right side like a wheel bearing or something. Did u check ur brake pads to see that they were alright.

TeamMetalJimJun-16-03 08:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#18458, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 16

You said that you replaced your CV joint. Which one? Maybe you didn't replace the right one?

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.943 @ 86.48mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Smoke HondaJun-16-03 11:35 PM
563 posts,
#18459, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 17

My pads are fine. i replaced the cv joint from the left, cuz' the noise was coming from the left. right?

2g99RSNCJun-17-03 03:13 AM
894 posts,
#18460, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 18

its the opposite side of which u r turning because teh weight shifts and gets leaned over on that side.

2g99RSNCJun-17-03 03:14 AM
894 posts,
#18461, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 19

have u replaced the right u said it makes it more when ur turning to the right

2g99RSNCJun-17-03 03:16 AM
894 posts,
#18462, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 20

sorry i mean if ur turning to the left and u hear it it might be the right side. Which on did u replace?

TeamMetalJimJun-17-03 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#18466, "RE: clicking noise from wheel"
In response to Reply # 18
Jun-17-03 10:20 AM by MetalJim

Replace the outer one on the right http://raxles.com/outer.htm

EDIT: actually I replaced my entire right axle with one from raxles.com. Quick shipping, new joints(no regrinds like autozone), and a reasonable price for what you get(brand new joints instead of rebuilt ones).

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.943 @ 86.48mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18311 Previous topic | Next topic