Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??" Previous topic | Next topic
Hult250RMay-23-03 11:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17926, "Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"

Ok guys heres the deal, Ive got Skunk2's with the $15 camber mod, But Ive got 6 washers on each bolt. I took of my tires today to spray paint my drums (Gettin tired of staring at rust through my 18's) and noticed that my tires are already worn pretty bad. Look at the pic and see if you can tell. The Left side is the worn side. Any ideas? Camber kit maybe? Or will it not give me anymore adjustment? Ieve had it aligned and they said the printer was broke so I couldnt get the printout that tells what its at. I got the "lifetime alignment" and Ive had it aligned twice, once with my old pro-kits and once with my Skunk2's I think im gonna go get it done or at least checked and see what its at. How much more sdjustment would I get with a camber kit if any?

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, shuwa29, May-23-03 12:29 PM, #1
RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, turbosrule, May-23-03 06:06 PM, #2
RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Amish_Eclipse, May-23-03 09:49 PM, #3
      RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-23-03 11:20 PM, #4
           RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Hult250R, May-24-03 06:50 PM, #5
                RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, 98_silvergs, May-25-03 06:56 PM, #6
                     RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Hult250R, May-25-03 07:35 PM, #7
                          RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, 98_silvergs, May-25-03 07:41 PM, #8
                               RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Hult250R, May-26-03 08:41 AM, #9
                                    RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, 98_silvergs, May-26-03 09:00 AM, #10
                                         RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, soulcontroller, May-27-03 06:32 AM, #11
                                              RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Amish_Eclipse, May-27-03 06:42 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Hult250R, May-28-03 12:05 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, coppereclipse95, May-28-03 12:13 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Hult250R, Jun-04-03 12:20 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??, Eclipseitall, Jun-05-03 11:21 AM, #16

shuwa29May-23-03 12:29 PM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17927, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 0
May-23-03 12:30 PM by shuwa29

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbosruleMay-23-03 06:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
423 posts,
#17932, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds like camber kit time to me
Ingalls makes a nice kit http://www.mmrusa.com/ingalls/ingallsmitsu.htm

Hahn,Wiseco,Eagle,MSD,TurboXs
K&N,mopar,AEM,Greddy,Vortex,apexi and a bunch of other stuff..

Amish_EclipseMay-23-03 09:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17941, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 2
May-23-03 09:50 PM by Amish_Eclipse

hard to tell with the pic. stick your fingers in the tread. if the inside feels signifiacanlty lower than it's time for camber correction. most cars with low springs are going to wear a bit on the inside. slight difference (1/32- maybe 2/32)is ok. try getting one of the tread depth guages from a parts place. measure with those. take 3 readings. outside (bout half inch in), dead center and aobut a half inch before the other end.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-23-03 11:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#17942, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 3

I used 8 washers. Tread wear is pretty even with a 2.somethin" drop.
I've been back on the stock 16's since I got home from the shootout last summer if that makes any difference...

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

Hult250RMay-24-03 06:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#17956, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 4

wow... 8 washers? and your bolts havent broke yet? maybe Ill add a couple. Its obviously worn. I can see it and feel it big time, the pic kinda sucks, I didnt think it would show up. Ill measure it tomorrow and see how far it is. and post and see what ya think...

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

98_silvergsMay-25-03 06:56 PM
Member since Jan 07th 2002
1050 posts,
#17977, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 5

Fix the toe problem first, worry about your camber after. Toe and camber will kill your tires very quickly, but negative camber working by itself could go thousands of miles with very, very little tire wear on the edges.

I've had negative camber on my stock rims for over a year and 7000 miles and my rear tires were still it mint shape on each side, just less tread from regular tire wear

Hult250RMay-25-03 07:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#17979, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 6

i had it aligned, so supposedly the toe should be ok... Its the rear thats outta wack. Ill have it aligned again so Ill know what the toe and camber is as. After i get my sideskirts on... Im puttin them on tomorrow (Monday 26th) Finally got them!

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

98_silvergsMay-25-03 07:41 PM
1050 posts,
#17980, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 7

If you had it alighned they shouldve set the toe into spec right then and there so you should be all set. Did they give you a print out of your readings? If not go back and get one so you know exactly how much your rear camber is out. I had mine done recently when i put my 18's on and i have yet to fix my rear camber, i'll get around to it soon hopefully, i just hate looking at my back wheels like that

Hult250RMay-26-03 08:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#17981, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 8

I had it aligned, but I didnt get a print out because "their printer was broken" I got the lifetime alignment, and Ive had it done like 3 times I dont have to pay to have it done again it was like $99.99, I had it done once stock, once with my old pro-kits and once with my coil overs. Each time i got a printout but the last time Ill have it done again so I can get a printout

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

98_silvergsMay-26-03 09:00 AM
1050 posts,
#17982, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 9

you paid 100$ for an alignment??? Where the hell did you go? I got my 4 wheel alignment done for 45$

soulcontrollerMay-27-03 06:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2490 posts,
#17989, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 10

hmm. my 4 wheel alignment was around 100 bucks too.

Amish_EclipseMay-27-03 06:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#18008, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 11

>you paid 100$ for an alignment??? Where the hell did you go?
>I got my 4 wheel alignment done for 45$

45$? where the hell did you go? /mocking

honestly these things cost over $60 most of the time. $45 is pretty cheap. specially the way people look at imports.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Hult250RMay-28-03 12:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#18041, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 12

I got it at Tires Plus, Its a "Lifetime Alignment" Ive had it aligned like 3 times already... I paid $100 and can get it aligned for free as long as i own the car. Nice because i have coilovers, and if i wanna change my ride height I can go get it aligned for nothing after that

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

coppereclipse95May-28-03 12:13 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#18042, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 13

Those tires didn't look that bad! If you don't want them, give'em to me j/k but, whenever you lower a car, get it aligned! Man, I thought all i had to do was that $15camber mod and that's it when i put my coilovers in...but that was WRONG!! After 5weeks of normal driving, my tires were dead!
but now with 7 or 8 washers and good toe adjustment, i haven't had any problems since.

or atleast it feels good that the tires last longer than damn oil change..lol

1995 Eclipse RS

Hult250RJun-04-03 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#18200, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 14

I got it aligned yesterday... The toe was way off on the left rear, and they couldnt get it in spec. Its at -.46 deg. it should be between zero and +.13 deg. He told me what i need to do so I guess its out to the garage for some wrenching and back to the alignment shop... Damn Im glad i got the lifetime alignment...

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

EclipseitallJun-05-03 11:21 AM
Member since May 30th 2003
79 posts,
#18229, "RE: Bad Camber... Pics, any ideas??"
In response to Reply # 15

Been there Done that...

I eventualy got rid of the 8 washers & found some aluminum stock about the same thickness. Cut it into squares just biger than the washers & drilled bolt holes in. They are much more stable than the washer buisness, and the bolts I got from PepBoys are about 2 inches long so plenty of hold there too.

The toe was still out and killed my rubber though, but before you get it aligned again have your exsisting tires rotated off the rims so you have the good tread inside. Then go get your toe fixed and you'll still be run'n on the best part of your tires you have left:thumbsup

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17926 Previous topic | Next topic