Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17808
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide body... Need a wide wheel base." Previous topic | Next topic
ClipseRSTMay-19-03 11:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17808, "Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."

Some of you may have seen pics in Interior/Exterior section. If not:

Now me and my freinds are trying to figure out how to get it to look right with the wheels... Custom rims seem to be an option but im hoping not the only option due to price. Information: The back well need to be 5-5 1/2 inches wider on each side. Im having a guy who works for a welding shop look at it... Does anyone have any suggestions? Its an RS with drums.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., 9D9 MITSU RS, May-23-03 08:44 AM, #1
RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., Amish_Eclipse, May-23-03 02:15 PM, #2
      RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., emc, May-23-03 07:49 PM, #3
      RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., euro_clipse, May-25-03 02:50 AM, #4
RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., Slow_AT_Talon, May-25-03 03:45 AM, #5
RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base., Amish_Eclipse, May-25-03 12:37 PM, #6
      Wheels arent what i was thinking., ClipseRST, May-25-03 03:11 PM, #7
           RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking., Amish_Eclipse, May-27-03 08:22 PM, #8
                RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking., 9D9 MITSU RS, May-27-03 11:39 PM, #9
                     RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking., juggalo, May-28-03 01:14 AM, #10
                          RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking., ClipseRST, May-28-03 05:12 AM, #11

9D9 MITSU RSMay-23-03 08:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17925, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 0

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ looks too wide for anything that would be mass produced. The widest wheels I have seen on the market are like 10 wide I think. I've seen HRE's on some really wide ones. But HRE= mucho dinero and wide HRE= 2-3+ used cars imo.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Amish_EclipseMay-23-03 02:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17929, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 1
May-23-03 02:19 PM by Amish_Eclipse

mmkay that's hella wide. even so, making your body wider doens't change suspension geometry. you shouldn't be trying to match wheels to your body. all sorts of problems can arise. i'd be pissed if a 2gnt with wheels ten inches wide on our suspension passed inspection. just stick with regular suspension. -38 is as far as you're supposed to go offset wise.

if this is a trailer queen than cool go for whatever fits. prolly take about 10" wide to fill that up. hard to say cause no one really does this to cars that came with wheels that are at the most 6" wide.

i beleive widebodied put insanely large wheels on his ride. try sending him a PM to see what width and offset he's using.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

emcMay-23-03 07:49 PM
Member since May 21st 2003
32 posts,
#17936, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 2

dont just get wheels with a huge offset this puts strain where its not intended. not sure how you need to go about it but do know if you drive your car offset wheels arnt the way to go. it would over time be likely to break things.

euro_clipseMay-25-03 02:50 AM
Member since May 14th 2002
515 posts,
#17963, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 2

>mmkay that's hella wide. even so, making your body wider
>doens't change suspension geometry. you shouldn't be trying
>to match wheels to your body. all sorts of problems can
>arise. i'd be pissed if a 2gnt with wheels ten inches wide on
>our suspension passed inspection. just stick with regular
>suspension. -38 is as far as you're supposed to go offset
>wise.

It would look gay if he didn't put on wheels that poke out. I think cars with sunken in wheels look hideous.

Primo example of the gayness I'm talking about:

Black '98 GS auto
I-vers intake
Custom ram air
Front & rear strut bars
OBX fog lights w/ fog light mod
RSR rear section
Stereo that goes BOOM

Slow_AT_TalonMay-25-03 03:45 AM
Member since Feb 02nd 2003
40 posts,
#17964, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 0

1 word "spacers" they have been used in pace cars and race cars. they used them for the quwees wide-body kit that you see on ebay and the spacer kit is resonably inexpesive in comparison to 10 inch wide rims

Amish_EclipseMay-25-03 12:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17971, "RE: Wide body... Need a wide wheel base."
In response to Reply # 5
May-25-03 12:38 PM by Amish_Eclipse

spacers are illegal in most states because they change the amount of torque on the wheels and they place the wheels further out on the stud enabling them to break the stud.

cars with "sunk in" wheels may LOOK hideous but at least they're safe. i'd rather have sunk in wheels than have a wheel shear off the car while driving down the highway. and no matter what the safety dilemas may be, justifying inappropriately sized wheels with a wide body kit that makes the wheels look "sunk in" and "hideous" doesn't make alot of sense. it would be better to justify not getting a wide body kit because the appropriate and safe wheels would look "sunk in" and "hideous".

btw the widest wheel i've ever installed a tire on was 18x12. it was a Fikse wheel made for a third gen RX-7 that autocrossed. fikse wheels usually cost in excess of $1000 per wheel.

ClipseRSTMay-25-03 03:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
#17972, "Wheels arent what i was thinking."
In response to Reply # 6

Ok... With front I was going to use spacers due to the fact I dont need to bring them out as far as back. With the back though Im pretty sure no one makes 6 inch spacers. With the back I know offset would be crazy trying to get them out there... What I am looking at is something like this:

1: Take rear cross over (or whatever its called.)

2. Cut in half. Extend 12 inches. Use 1/4 steel sheet to extend and bolt and weld on.

3. Since the bolt holes well no longer match up under frame, use 1/4 inch angle to bolt from side to side and then make new bolt holes to bolt up

4. Theres the horse shoe shaped thing that well also need to come out. Have a shop make me spacers like so.

5. As well as shock well need an extender made.

I know there well be clearence issues that I well need to fabricate and modify here and there. And I know I am a hell of an artist. Let me know your concerns or suggestions on this

Amish_EclipseMay-27-03 08:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#18017, "RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking."
In response to Reply # 7

you can't simply add spacers to everything. there's alot more than your struts to align. you'll have to redesign your entire suspension to get the angles right again. as much as i hate to say it spacers and fucked up offsets would be a better solution than this. there's no way this would work. we're talking about the parts that hold the car up, not lincoln logs or legos.

9D9 MITSU RSMay-27-03 11:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#18020, "RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking."
In response to Reply # 8

fuck man. that thing is too wide. you would have to go with a custom suspension if the car is gonna be streetable.

juggaloMay-28-03 01:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#18021, "RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking."
In response to Reply # 9

hahaha, i got it, you can make it a dually

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

ClipseRSTMay-28-03 05:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
#18024, "RE: Wheels arent what i was thinking."
In response to Reply # 10

well ill let everyone know in a week or so

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17808 Previous topic | Next topic