Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17772
View in linear mode

Subject: "how to change out drum shoes" Previous topic | Next topic
96eclipse2nrMay-17-03 11:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3605 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17772, "how to change out drum shoes"

ok, i already looked and there is nothing about changing the shoes, only conversions. so, can anyone explain to me or point me in the direction of a writeup on how i would go about doing this? the disc brakes are a snap, but i know nothing of the drums. do these often need replacing? TIA!

-----------------------------------------
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-NX 75 shot, AEM CAI, P&P t/b and intake mani-SOLD

1964 Buick Electra 225-all original, all power options, 325hp, 445ft/lbs tq

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

likestoflooritMay-17-03 10:50 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
397 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17779, "RE: how to change out drum shoes"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure of any write up but just find some like 10mm bolts and screw in the drums u will know what i am talking about when you take off your wheel and from there just check if they bad and if so..good luck hehe mine turned out to be good

97 Rs 5sp
-Intake
-Front upper strut bar
-Tint 20% o yeah
-Coilovers/KYB ADJ
-60mm TB
-P&P intake mani
-Cat Back System.
-Funny Rims?? dont lie
~likestofloorit.. (1/4=16.258)(60=2.363)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMichael_97RSMay-20-03 06:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#17834, "RE: how to change out drum shoes"
In response to Reply # 0

Drums suck, I hate them.

There's a star wheel to detention the shoes, if the drums won't some off. DO NOT try this with the parkign brake on, since that engages the shoes.

Then pay attention to spring orientation and mounting points, they suck to get back on yoru will swear and yell. Best bet is to get a chilton's or other manual it will have a walk through. I oculdn't do a write up form memory.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

TeamDR1665May-20-03 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#17841, "RE: how to change out drum shoes"
In response to Reply # 2

I had mine checked at some random brake place for free. Let them get greasy and dirty and fix it for free if they break anything! I've got over 140K onmine and they're jut now starting to squeak in the mornings... getting close to conversion time methinks

TeamXtremeRSMay-22-03 03:37 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#17906, "RE: how to change out drum shoes"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah drum brakes are a PITA to work on. The hardest part is putting on the new springs(you should use all new hardware when changing shoes and drums). The best way to put them on is by using a special drum brake spring tool. You can find one of these at all autoparts stores. It has 2 diff ends to it, one that can get on the end of the spring to pop it off, and one to put the end of the spring on to put it back on. Its sort of a sizzor shaped wrench in a way. Just be sure to only do one side at a time, in case you need to reference how the parts go on. Its difficult to tell you how to do it, so just go at it, and pay very close attention to how its put together. Its really not that hard, once you do one side. Hardest part is putting the damn springs on, because they are tight as hell..esp when new. Just remember if you are putting on new shoes, to at least have the drums turned, or get new ones, for proper seating of the new shoes. Like i mentioned too, get all new hardware(springs, adjusters, ect..)

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17772 Previous topic | Next topic