Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17165
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coilovers have harsh ride?" Previous topic | Next topic
whatisyousayinApr-21-03 07:38 PM
Member since Dec 24th 2001
85 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17165, "Coilovers have harsh ride?"

Is this true

1997 RS
Coming soon:
ALL SHOW, NO GO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Mannyyy, Apr-21-03 07:48 PM, #1
RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, eclipser96gs, Apr-22-03 03:14 PM, #2
RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, jonnybiz, Apr-22-03 03:25 PM, #3
      RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, CoprEklipz, Apr-23-03 04:38 PM, #4
           RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Amish_Eclipse, Apr-23-03 05:54 PM, #5
                RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, CoprEklipz, Apr-23-03 06:51 PM, #6
                RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Amish_Eclipse, Apr-23-03 06:54 PM, #7
                     RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, CoprEklipz, Apr-23-03 07:00 PM, #8
                          RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Kahn, Apr-23-03 09:10 PM, #9
                               RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, whatisyousayin, Apr-23-03 09:19 PM, #10
                                    RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, CoprEklipz, Apr-25-03 07:47 PM, #11
                                         RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, jsupetran, Apr-26-03 06:22 AM, #12
                                              RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Amish_Eclipse, Apr-26-03 08:06 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, CoprEklipz, Apr-26-03 04:38 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, optimuspeterson, Apr-26-03 06:11 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Mannyyy, Apr-26-03 06:22 PM, #17
                                                        RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Amish_Eclipse, Apr-26-03 06:13 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, GShocka04, Apr-27-03 04:16 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, D-Woj, Apr-29-03 10:23 PM, #19
                RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, Teameclipse804, Apr-30-03 02:48 PM, #20
                     RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?, 1sweet98talon, Apr-30-03 05:10 PM, #21

MannyyyApr-21-03 07:48 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17166, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yep.

-Manny

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipser96gsApr-22-03 03:14 PM
Member since Apr 21st 2003
20 posts,
#17185, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 0

hmm, i have coilovers on the fornt only, havent done back yet, the only thing i noticed is that it squeaks some and it is MUCH bouncier(like when coming off a bridge that has a little dip at the end connecting to the road) i kinda like the bounce though. i dunno if its related but my hub bearing went out shortly after i put on the coilovers...

Michael
96 GS--pain in the ass

jonnybizApr-22-03 03:25 PM
Member since Feb 09th 2002
5 posts,
#17186, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have Ground Controls one of the best coilovers out there. and i have AGX KYB 8 way adjustable shocks. My ride is SOOOOO HARSH.....i am getting rid of them ASAP. Gives and Amazing drop. If need ground controls...250 obo

BLACK 1997 GS
TAILIGHTS: CLEAR
18" MOTEGI MR7
215/40/18 YOKOHAMA PARADA
GREEN NEON UNDERBODY KIT
GREEN NEON INTERIOR LIGHTS
CUSTUM JAPANESE GAUGES(letters in JAPANESE)
CUSTUM CATBACK..4.5" tip
SHORT RAM INTAKE
SHORT THROW SHIFTER
JSP TERMINATOR

CoprEklipzApr-23-03 04:38 PM
Member since May 23rd 2003
614 posts,
#17217, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 3

Ok, let me get this straight. A soild engine mount will vibrate the hell out of the car, but give you almost nil wheelhop. Some people can stand it, even like it, others determine the gain does not outweigh the sacrifice.

Coilovers-lower your car and provide a stiff spring. Ride quality plumments. So what I want to know is, does the handling improve in a similar comparison, as in, if you're not into a smooth ride, is this worth it for handling and appearance?

Amish_EclipseApr-23-03 05:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17225, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 4

no. coil overs have softer springs than an actual spring setup. that's why they can be clamped down and adjust ride height. that's also why they're bouncy.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

CoprEklipzApr-23-03 06:51 PM
614 posts,
#17226, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 5

argh. so how do we get ride height adjustability with a stiff spring? anyone? Bueller?

Amish_EclipseApr-23-03 06:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17227, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 6

$2000 coil overs

CoprEklipzApr-23-03 07:00 PM
614 posts,
#17228, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 7

hahaha...ok, you've got me there. What's a fair compromise then?

Is the ride of coilovers REALLY that bad?

Is there any way to lower your car and use stiff springs and shocks still (aka, no coilovers)

If I'm gonna get coilovers, what's the best set out there (quality, ride quality, adjustability, etc)

What's the best setup for PERFORMANCE (better handling) as opposed to looks?

KahnApr-23-03 09:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#17238, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 8

Dude -- how often do you think you are going to adjust your ride height??? Some would like you to think its as easy as just a click and a turn -- but you know what -- you gotta jack the car up...each corner and turn...tighten etc... and why would you really ever change the ride height?? If its too low -- well its too low.

If you really want it -- get the real deal coilovers. I had coilovers and there is no way in hell i will ever go back.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

whatisyousayinApr-23-03 09:19 PM
Member since Dec 24th 2001
85 posts,
#17239, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 9

Fuck coilovers from what I've been hearing... I like how the H&R Race Springs drop our car... might pick those up with some adjustable shocks...

1997 RS
Coming soon:
ALL SHOW, NO GO

CoprEklipzApr-25-03 07:47 PM
614 posts,
#17285, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-25-03 07:48 PM by CoprEklipz

Ok, I wasn't referring to a continual adjustment of ride height, I just meant that with coilovers, you have the ability to raise it or lower it to your liking (for instance, in the winter, raising it up).

So coilovers suck. What's the lowest you can drop your car on springs? And which handle the best while still providing a good drop? I hear Sportlines put it down 1.6" but ride horrible...what about others?

I want a low ride (at least bring the tires to the wheel well) but handling and performance are the most important to me. What should I get?

jsupetranApr-26-03 06:22 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#17293, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 11
Apr-26-03 06:27 AM by jsupetran

prokits of course. i got the 1.3 drop, but its not 1.3, its more like 1.6. i kinda want sportlines but everytime i hit a bad bump, even on my sportlines it is bad but what do you expect. i can corner really well and i still have my stock struts so the prokits potential really aren't being realized. the bumps i encounter are livable cause if i wanted a smooth ride, i'd get stock springs instead and learn to live with the wheel gap. some say that sportlines are a little harsh but what do you expect really from a 1.6 drop that really more like 1.9+.

-jezreel

98 eclipse gs (at)
green with turbo spoiler

to be installed hrc stage 1

1.3 in eibach prokits
short ram intake
gst muffler
white gauges

Amish_EclipseApr-26-03 08:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17295, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 12

sportlines give a harsh ride but they offer the best performance. most people aren't willing to take the harsh ride and end up buying eibach pro kits. i'd recommend those if you want a nice drop without a really stiff ride.

CoprEklipzApr-26-03 04:38 PM
614 posts,
#17303, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 13

So the sportlines perform the best...that's probably what I'll end up going with then. I don't care about comfort...it's not a Town car or something

I mean, I read about the soild motor mounts and with their benefits, who cares about vibrations? How many of you would drive a Shelby Cobra 427? Do you think a Cobra has some vibrations?

These are sports cars, not luxury cruisers...but to each his own I suppose. Anyone with sportlines....please just confirm the handling benefits are worth it. If I can get the same handling from prokits, I'll just go with those.

optimuspetersonApr-26-03 06:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#17305, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 14

i have maxspeed coilovers, and i don't think there that bad and i'm on stock struts that are 100k+ miles old. I adjust my car quite abit (higher for normal days, low for shows). I'm had to just raise it recently so that i could be a fecent hieght off the ground for my new CF lip coming.

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

MannyyyApr-26-03 06:22 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
#17307, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 15

Well, coilovers aren't exactly horrible. With my Illumina front shocks and AGX rear shocks, the ride comfort is just a notch below 'harsh'. You learn to live with it I guess, then you go for a ride in a regular car and it's like, "damn that's smooth".

I just put my camber kit on and am ready to go lower. I've spent entire weekends adjusting the front and rear height in 1/8th inch increments to find the perfect stance I wanted. You can't do with springs.

-Manny

Amish_EclipseApr-26-03 06:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#17306, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 14

yeah they're sports cars but if you have to drive an hour to work you're not going to want to feel that nickel you just ran over.

GShocka04Apr-27-03 04:16 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2002
189 posts,
#17317, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 16

if u really want coilovers, get tein, they're one of the best, ive heard that they are nice ride even when slammed, but they cost more than 1000

D-WojApr-29-03 10:23 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
30 posts,
#17427, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 18

>ground controls...250 obo
gimmie a month to pay some tickets and you got youre self a deal.

Teameclipse804Apr-30-03 02:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#17462, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 5
Apr-30-03 02:52 PM by eclipse804

>no. coil overs have softer springs than an actual spring
>setup. that's why they can be clamped down and adjust ride
>height. that's also why they're bouncy.
>

Actually that is not true. Coilovers ALWAYS Have stiffer springs than a regular spring setup. The coilovers don't get clamped down to adjust ride height. You rotate the bottom spring perch collar to lower it. Height adjustment has nothing to do with the spring being soft or stiff. However, coilovers use stiffer springs because if you lower the car a lot, you need something stiffer so the car will not bottom out due to less shock travel. Many coilovers like Ground Control and Skunk2 are also designed for racing, so they are not the most comfortable ride. To give some perspective, most lowering springs are 200 to 350 ft lbs. Coilovers are usually 300 to 550 ft lbs. My skunk2's are 500 ft lbs. So of course they will be stiffer, but they will also handle really well on smooth roads. It's a sacrifice of comfort vs performance. My coilovers don't bounce - they just hit bumps hard, and absorb it fast, so you aren't bouncing, but you feel the bumps as you go over them.

Also, if you are considering Pro-kits vs Sportlines, go with Pro-kits for best performance, and sportlines if you want looks. The pro-kits perform way better because they still keep a good amount of shock travel. I trust Road Race Engineering's judgment on this since they are pro's in rally racing. Here's the info from their site:

"Eibach Pro Kit Springs
We strongly recommend purchasing a quality shock absorber along with these springs. They are approximately 20% stiffer than stock. The purpose of the shock is to control the spring energy. Get more spring & you need more shock. If you are on a budget and can't afford both, get shocks only for better handling. If your only purpose is to get all the chicks & look cool with a lousy ride, get springs only. $215 Set of 4

Sport Line pic, too low for our taste but looks cool. Rides bad and you have to slow down for everything 2G FWD Sport Line"

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to correct some misinformation so you don't end up with the wrong choice based on what you really desire.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

1sweet98talonApr-30-03 05:10 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2002
341 posts,
#17466, "RE: Coilovers have harsh ride?"
In response to Reply # 20

don't get intrax. word of warning, feels like junk w/the gr2's... I am going to give goldlines a shot next.

"If there is nothing mechanically wrong with you're DSM, then there is something wrong with you're DSM"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17165 Previous topic | Next topic