Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17020
View in linear mode

Subject: "difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse_gs_1512Apr-13-03 06:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17020, "difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"

on a scale of 1-10, what would you say is the difficulty of installing lowering springs yourself?

2007 wrx

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, fasterGS, Apr-13-03 07:00 AM, #1
RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-13-03 07:28 AM, #2
      RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, zhr420, Apr-13-03 07:43 AM, #3
           RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, fasterGS, Apr-13-03 07:45 AM, #4
           RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-13-03 08:00 AM, #5
                RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, 1sweet98talon, Apr-13-03 09:45 AM, #6
                RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, Clay, Apr-13-03 10:22 AM, #7
                     RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, shuwa29, Apr-13-03 10:45 AM, #8
                RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, zhr420, Apr-13-03 11:14 AM, #9
                     RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-13-03 11:19 AM, #10
                          RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, 1sweet98talon, Apr-13-03 06:27 PM, #11
                               RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-14-03 02:54 AM, #12
                                    RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, FuSi0N, Apr-14-03 10:01 AM, #13
                                         RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, woo2gnt97, Apr-14-03 04:45 PM, #14
                                              RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-14-03 05:50 PM, #15
                                                   RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, BuckNutty, Apr-15-03 02:26 AM, #16
                                                        RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, Remy, Apr-17-03 12:07 PM, #17
                                                             RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia, eclipse_gs_1512, Apr-17-03 12:16 PM, #18

fasterGSApr-13-03 07:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17021, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 0

depends, 2 if you have all the right tools, 5 if you don't.

I can do my whole suspension in under two hours with just hand tools.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-13-03 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17022, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 1

thanks for the quick reply! what would i need(in general) besides a spring compressor?

2007 wrx

zhr420Apr-13-03 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#17023, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 2

no
later
"Z"

fasterGSApr-13-03 07:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17024, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 3

basic socket set, allen wrenches, spring compressor, liquid wrench.

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-13-03 08:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17025, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 3

no? you lost me.

2007 wrx

1sweet98talonApr-13-03 09:45 AM
Member since Nov 26th 2002
341 posts,
#17026, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 5

Breaker Bar also..saves a bunch of time. It is very easy. It took my dad and I about 7 hours to do it. No breaker bar..took alot of time to get the bolts off. Thats all the problems we ran into.

"If there is nothing mechanically wrong with you're DSM, then there is something wrong with you're DSM"

ClayApr-13-03 10:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
#17027, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 6

You can find socket sets at most hardware stores. I would also suggest getting a "vise grip". It really isn't very hard to install springs, 4 rating. Check out http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html
,under suspension. Make sure to put the black rubber bushings in the same order they came out. Take your time installing or else u can screw up like me . . .

Broke 8 studs in the front.

95 GST | So-Cal

shuwa29Apr-13-03 10:45 AM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#17028, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 7

>Broke 8 studs in the front.
>
>

would you be mad if i called you a goobe
later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

zhr420Apr-13-03 11:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#17029, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 5

oops i thought you were waskin if you needed a spring compressor, well i didn't use one and i am on my forth set-up and I installed each one myself. yeah on the question on what tools we need i agree with what the others are sayin. Basic socket set, a good breaker bar, vice grips help, i didn't use any liquid wrench but i am sure it would help. ohh yeah at the end you will need a torque wrench to torque the bolts down try to torque them down before puttin the car on the ground and after. some of them you won't be able to but you get the picture.
later
"Z"

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-13-03 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17030, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 9

thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it! i'm gonna try and put my prokit on tuesday i think. i'll post pics if it comes out good.

2007 wrx

1sweet98talonApr-13-03 06:27 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2002
341 posts,
#17038, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 10

I think the prokits will look damn good w/youre car. It will lower it to be not real low, but noticable. Good choice.

"If there is nothing mechanically wrong with you're DSM, then there is something wrong with you're DSM"

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-14-03 02:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17040, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 11

thanks bro.....i wish i had gone with the prokit first time around.

2007 wrx

FuSi0NApr-14-03 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1762 posts,
#17044, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 12

Check out Corbin's write-up, its strut install walkthrough but you can also use it to remove or install springs. If you're installing lowering springs that are low in spec (H&Rs or Sportlines) you won't need spring compressors, I rented some when I was installing my H&Rs and didn't even use them, no need cause the springs are already short, but I would recommend having spring compressors if you're going to install stock springs.
http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/struts.html

"Liberate Tutemea Ex Infernis"
More pics at www.cyn0sure.homestead.com

woo2gnt97Apr-14-03 04:45 PM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#17049, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 13

Basically what everyone has said so far.

I did mine last weekend. 2'' drop w/ goldlines on tokico blues.

Took me and my dad about 6 hours to do w/ like none of the right tools heh. A few of the bolts were a REAL bitch but it came out fine. Didn't need a spring compressor at all.

However, if you're using stock springs like ^^^^ said, use a compressor. Other than that, good luck and drop it like its hot

Btw, I'll post pics of mine tomorrow prolly

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t
17'' hp typhoons
goldline springs w/ tokico blues
nakayama cai
cat-back exhaust
final drive gears
afx udp

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-14-03 05:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17050, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 14

i'm putting the eibach prokit on.....anybody think i will need a compressor for them???

2007 wrx

BuckNuttyApr-15-03 02:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#17051, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 15

easy install. I did it with a basic socket set, spring compressors, and a hammer. That was for struta AND coilovers. Took about 6 hours with the help of a friend.

RemyApr-17-03 12:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#17083, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 16

You dont need a compressor or breaker bar.

95 gs-t
6 bolt swap
T-2small turbo
15 Psi
Joe P mbc
Greddy uip
Greddy lip
Greddy bov
Supra smic
Borla cat back exhaust
Gutted cat

eclipse_gs_1512Apr-17-03 12:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#17085, "RE: difficulty of doing lowering springs yourself? need a quick reply! tia"
In response to Reply # 17

yeah, i ended up using only liquid wrench, socket wrench, regular wrench, and a torque wrench. it was a lot easier than i thought it was gonna be. it took me a couple hours to do the rear and about 4 hours to do the front.

2007 wrx

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17020 Previous topic | Next topic