Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #16320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)" Previous topic | Next topic
JenMar-11-03 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16320, "Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"

Since we're expecting our baby in about 2 months, we need to get a new set of springs for the '95. Right now we have H&R Race Springs with Tokico Illuminas and it's just too harsh of a ride for a newborn (we assume anyways?). The Spyder has a stock suspension, but it won't work as a baby car cause we can't even fit a car seat or stroller in it. So, we'd like to swap the suspension from the '95 to the Spyder and get something not as aggressive for the '95, but still a drop if possible.

Any of you dads feel pretty comfortable about your lowering springs and the ride for your babies???

What's the best lowering spring that's comparable to a nice and stock-like ride? We're thinking about Eibachs. Any comments?

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
97 Mitsubishi Spyder GS-T
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), fasterGS, Mar-11-03 07:18 AM, #1
RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Danny95ESI, Mar-11-03 07:25 AM, #2
RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Jen, Mar-11-03 07:56 AM, #3
      RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Danny95ESI, Mar-11-03 10:16 AM, #4
           RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), djtrickee, Mar-11-03 11:12 AM, #5
                RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), OZ_GS, Mar-11-03 01:42 PM, #6
                     RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), coClipse_97, Mar-11-03 02:08 PM, #7
                          RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Danny95ESI, Mar-11-03 06:32 PM, #8
                               RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), OZ_GS, Mar-12-03 03:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Danny95ESI, Mar-12-03 06:34 AM, #10
                                         RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Jen, Mar-12-03 10:21 AM, #11
                                              RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), OZ_GS, Mar-12-03 10:30 AM, #12
                                              RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), ModeratorEvuLFleA, Mar-12-03 10:49 AM, #13
                                                   RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Jen, Mar-12-03 11:08 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Remy, Mar-12-03 03:51 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), TeamMichael_97RS, Mar-13-03 07:56 AM, #16
RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), lx4life, Mar-13-03 01:04 PM, #17
RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :), Jen, Mar-14-03 06:19 AM, #18

fasterGSMar-11-03 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16321, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Not a dad... but Goldlines have a less aggressive spring rate. I think any quality spring other than the H&R racers will be a softer ride.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Danny95ESIMar-11-03 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16322, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-11-03 07:31 AM by Danny95ESI

Hey Jen!

My kid didn't mind my Eibach sportlines...it was the Greddy Sp I had to get rid of. Baby's ears are really sensitive and are still developing so I would be more worried about your Thermal exhaust than the springs. Swap the exhaust from the Talon to your Spyder and vice versa. GST muffler is way more quiet...a lil less flow but it'll feel alright. Do the same for the springs if you want a more cushy ride. I don't think any lowering springs will give you a bouncy stock ride.

My Talon has been good baby transportation even though we use the SUV more. Remember that we have tethers anchors in the trunk. Good luck.

EDIT: If you go with Eibachs- the sportlines are way more bouncy than pro kits. The pro kits I had on my 1G were stiffer.

JenMar-11-03 07:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#16323, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 2

Yeah, the exhaust swap is a given. And the subs gotta go too (for silence AND trunk space).

If possible at all, we just don't wanna go back to stock height, especially with the 18s we have. But for baby's sake we would of course. Hopefully we can find something that provides a nice ride for baby and still looks good

Any other tips to make the car baby friendly? Those anchors don't work with one of those stroller car seats that snap into a base, do they? They just use a regular seat belt. Those anchors can be used with a convertible child seat for toddlers. Right?

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Danny95ESIMar-11-03 10:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#16327, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 3

that's correct, the anchor only works for the upright seats, not the little rear facing basket with the snap on base.

we used the basket ( which I highly recommend ) till Zoey out grew it. As long as you carry your baby in the basket, you always have a car seat with you, no matter who's car you get into. it'll even work on an airplane and they aren't as bulky as the upright seats.

as for the snap on base, we left it in the suv. every time I put her in the talon, I would just re-do the seat belt again. make sure you use the metal clip thing that goes on your seat belt- read the instructions, it'll explain it better than i will.

you'll find that you'll have more room for the front passenger seat leaving the base out of your 2G, though it's still a tight fit. Cody can drive and there should be enuff room for you up front.

i think about getting a four door EVERY day and have been fighting the urge. it's killing me...but eventually, I'll have to buy that Mazda 6

djtrickeeMar-11-03 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#16328, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 4

I thought that Spyder suspension was different than on the coupes and different than the gsX also. Anyone know?
-Chris b.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

OZ_GSMar-11-03 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#16329, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-11-03 01:47 PM by OZ_GS

I have 2 kids .... A 2 year old little boy and a little girl that just turned 5. My little girl always complain if I take a corner too fast, stop too fast or accelerate to quickly (if that's possible). I have prokits riding on KYB AGX struts. The ride is comfortable enough for my little princess but still sporty enough for me. She has yet to complain and often falls asleep in my car. Thats really saying something considering Missouri has some of the worst roads I have ever driven on.

I also used to manage the hardgoods section (strollers, car seats, ect.) of a children's store called 'Lil' Things. We received a lot of training on proper car seat installation as well as what design makes the safest seat. The carrier car seats are really convenient but when used with the clip on base do not provide the best protection for your child. If you think about it, only the base is actually seatbelted in and there are clips supporting your child in a collision. This also offers one more point of failure in a collision. Also try to avoid any 3-point harness seats and anything with a bar in front. Again while convenient and comfy ...not the safest choice. Convertible car seats with a 5 point harness are the way to go if you have the room. The best of these at the time was the Century SmartMove. Its the only seat that in a head on collision will slide to an upright position to provide the most support for your rear facing child.

Not to say the other seats are not safe because they all obviously have to pass government standards but this is what we were taought by state officials on the subject.

Also I have never had to put any rear facing seat in my eclipse since both of my kids are in Century Bravada booster style seats now (5-point harnesses). Fitment is something you will have to consider and may limit your choices.

Lastly (sorry I am rambling a bit), since you are driving a hatchback be careful what you put in the back of your car and make sure its well secured. If you can imagine a head on collision with heavy or hard objects flying through the car getting over the seat and your baby is rear facing. A scary thought but something to consider.

I will shut up now....Congrats once again!!

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

coClipse_97Mar-11-03 02:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
361 posts,
#16332, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 6

oh damn i haven't thought about any of this my boy is due in may! how loud is the evo? you think that'll bother his ears? I want a catback...noooo
97 Eclipse GS
Mods: AEM CAI, OBX muffler, Goldline springs, FU/RU STBs, Platinum plugs, Ingalls f&r camber kits, AFX UDP

Danny95ESIMar-11-03 06:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#16338, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-11-03 06:42 PM by Danny95ESI

Damn Chad! I should've talked to u when I was shopping for these baby seats. I currently have Graco Next Steps in both of the cars. They are secure as hell and fit well in the Talon. Tell me if those are okay to have or not...lol

As for the carrier basket car seat- fitment was a huge issue for a rear facing seat on a 2GNT. I went with the rear facing basket because it was really handy and it took the least amount of space. Actually....come to think about it, after installation,none of the rear facing cars seats(5 pt. harness) would allow the passenger seat to even slide back and lock. I think i returned about two or three seats before settling for the carrier. The carrier with out the base was really snug and didn't have anywhere to go after i belted it in and scooted/tilted the passenger seat all the way back.

CoClipse- imo, the evo was just a little quieter than the SP. I almost traded my SP for an evo but went with the GST muffler because the EVO was still damned loud. I miss my catback...

OZ_GSMar-12-03 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#16343, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah Danny is probably right when it comes to fitment of a rear facing seat. You will prolly be limited to one of the carrier-type car seats which will work fine. I would just make sure to use it without the base that way the seat itself is strapped in.

Danny- Your Graco seats look just like the century ones I have. Its almost like the rear seats were made to fit this type of seat!! Have you seen the cool black leather ones??? I was seriously considering them to match my black leather interior but that would have been like a $350 investment and my kids would have torn em up probably.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

Danny95ESIMar-12-03 06:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
900 posts,
#16346, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 9

Hahahahaaha.... a leather one!? that's pretty sick...my seat matches my interior pretty well- it's gray and black. they did seem like they were built for our kind of backseats. maybe this should go into the 'REVIEW' section for 2GNTers looking for a perfect baby seat.

JenMar-12-03 10:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#16350, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks Chad! That really helped alot. We did try out several different rear facing car seats, but none really fit. Like Danny said, the passenger seat wouldn't even slide back far enough to lock. So we decided on the carrier. Also, it seemed almost impossible to get the baby in and out of a rear facing convertible seat when you have to crawl in from the front. I could probably manage it, but Cody being over 6' would probably have some problems. But you're right, safety is a big issue. I didn't really think about the carrier seat being much safer when strapped in without the base. We'll probably just return the extra one we bought. Safety comes before laziness

I think we'll settle on the prokits...

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

OZ_GSMar-12-03 10:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#16351, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 11

No problem!! Good luck with it...I bet you are really excited!! Congrats once again!!

Chad

MODS:

ModeratorEvuLFleAMar-12-03 10:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#16354, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 11

Hey Jen!

I'm actually in the market for h&r springs right now. If those aren't going on one of your other DSM's and you want to sell you can send me a PM or email. Best of luck

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

JenMar-12-03 11:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#16355, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 13

Jeff,

Sorry, I definately wanna keep them cause I really like 'em. So, they'll be on the Spyder soon. Good luck finding some though

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

RemyMar-12-03 03:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#16359, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 14

My son is 3 months and has yet to ride in the gst yet (because its been on jack stands since he has been born) But this month he wil get a taste of it an di'll let you know how it goes....... Congrats on the baby too man..Good luck you will need it.

95 gs-t
To much shit to list !!

Pic coming in a few weeks.

TeamMichael_97RSMar-13-03 07:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#16378, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 14
Mar-13-03 07:57 AM by Michael_97RS

CONGRATS!

I would look at H&R OE SPorts, they only drop ~1" but should give a smoother ride. Otherwise the Eibach Pro Kits don't ride that harsh.

You definately need a baby racer seat Simpson makes one, I've seen others.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

lx4lifeMar-13-03 01:04 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
27 posts,
#16389, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-13-03 01:10 PM by lx4life

just some advice what me and my wife did was bought a 2001 galant and a 2002 dodge ram quad then bought the eclipse. So i think you should get rid of one of the cars, and buy a four door car. you will see that there is no rear facing seat that is going to fit properly in the eclipse, i like my galant it has the safety features that we were looking for, its nice to have a sporty car but just think about the safety of you and your "new family member" because a eclipse is not safe,or a good family car at all at least not the 2G but the 3G will fit a baby seat, the back is a little cramp but not as bad as the 2g. hope I help a little.

JenMar-14-03 06:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#16396, "RE: Need advice on springs/Baby friendly, Attn: Dads :)"
In response to Reply # 17

Selling one of the cars is just not an option at this time. So we have to do the best we can with what we have.

Jen
95 Eagle Talon ESi
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #16320 Previous topic | Next topic