Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1522
View in linear mode

Subject: "rims and suspension?" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipseRSApr-04-01 10:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1522, "rims and suspension?"

I decided to get some Racing hart M6's. the 17's I can get with tires for about $2450 or 18's for 3000, but becide's price I'm not sure wich to go with. I have a box and 2 12's in my trunk, I'm planning on getting tokico illumina's and probably pro kit's for springs. I'm mainly looking at performance here. But I'm wondering if this should be a good setup. I don't won't my tire's to rub, and I don't want my car to be to lowered because Where I work their is a lot of hills wich even with my stock bumper on 14's, no matter what angle or how slow I go I still scrape. Also they want to send me falken tires and I was planning on going with nitto 555's does anybody know anything about the falken's. Thanks for any help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Falken makes a good tire, TeamDeanoD, Apr-04-01 11:19 AM, #1
RE: Falken makes a good tire, eclipseRS, Apr-04-01 12:48 PM, #2
      what I have heard, TeamDeanoD, Apr-04-01 01:57 PM, #3
           one last thing, TeamDeanoD, Apr-04-01 01:59 PM, #4
                RE: one last thing, cyan, Apr-04-01 02:25 PM, #5
                     RE: one last thing, eclipseRS, Apr-04-01 02:52 PM, #6
                          RE: one last thing, Skrilla, Apr-04-01 04:24 PM, #7
                          RE: one last thing, TeamDeanoD, Apr-05-01 01:27 AM, #8
                               RE: one last thing, 2GXTASY, Apr-05-01 05:44 AM, #9
                                    RE: one last thing, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Apr-05-01 06:01 AM, #10
                                         RE: one last thing, eclipseRS, Apr-05-01 09:39 AM, #11
                                              RE: one last thing, 2GXTASY, Apr-05-01 10:02 AM, #12
                                                   RE: one last thing, cyan, Apr-06-01 02:09 PM, #13
                                                        RE: one last thing, jZa, Apr-11-01 11:49 AM, #14

TeamDeanoDApr-04-01 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1523, "Falken makes a good tire"
In response to Reply # 0

and it wears fairly well. It handles OK in the rain and grips good on the street. They do not howell when driving at highway speeds like Pirelli. AutoX racing it lacks cornering ability.

See if they can get Kumho. The price is the same as Falken.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipseRSApr-04-01 12:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
11 posts,
#1524, "RE: Falken makes a good tire"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you think those are better than nitto 555's, don't know too much about tires but from what I heard those are supposed to be pretty good tires dry or wet and I'm pretty worried about the rain because I live in central florida.

TeamDeanoDApr-04-01 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1525, "what I have heard"
In response to Reply # 2

from customers who frequent S&A Motorsports. Nitto is not a good rain tire and wears quickly for those with improper camber adjustments(even if it is on the edge of being in spec). I know that NOBODY buys Nitto where I live. They tend to blow easily when hitting even the minor pot holes. This is what they tell me and I have never owned a set. If anybody jumps on me because they own Nitto and they think they are the sheit.....please read read the previous sentence again.

The most popular tires where I live(mild winters, rainy spring/fall with hot summers, poor road conditions-pot holes and rough pavement mixed in with killer twisting highway)are Kumho, Dunlop, Falken, yokohama.

I think if you bought the Falken tires, you would be happy with them.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

TeamDeanoDApr-04-01 01:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1526, "one last thing"
In response to Reply # 3

I was commenting about the Nitto 450's. I do not know anything about the 555 and if they hold up or perform well.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

cyanApr-04-01 02:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#1527, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 4

racing hart makes great wheels, but i would seriously reconsider buying rims (especially $3000 ones) if your car isnt going to be lowered, especially 18s, that would look pretty ridiculous, but thats just my opinion. i say if your going to spend $3000 at stock ride height and are interested in performance, spend the money on a stage 2 turbo kit or at least some nitrous and internals

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

eclipseRSApr-04-01 02:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
11 posts,
#1528, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 5

LAST EDITED ON 04-Apr-01 AT 07:54 PM (PST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-Apr-01 AT 07:54 PM (PST)

The turbo's coming later but I need to get bigger wheels for my brakes before I do to much power wise. also if I get 18's that would raise my car right? And thanks for the info about the tires.

SkrillaApr-04-01 04:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1529, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 6

the biggest brakes you can get for your car still only requires 17" rims and we're talking the BIG baer system. With the ZR1 4 piston calipers.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

TeamDeanoDApr-05-01 01:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1530, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 6

225/40/18, 225/45/17, 225/50/16 will keep your stock tire height
If you only go with a 7 inch wide rim, only put a 215 wide tire on it. I also think if you only drop the car 1 inch it will look funny with 18's. The ride is also pretty rough. 17's are really popular for our cars. 16's seem to be the choice for AutoX.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

2GXTASYApr-05-01 05:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1531, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 8

Are you guys saying that 18's with Pro-Kits dosen't look right?

-2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

ModeratorEvuLFleAApr-05-01 06:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#1532, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 9

>Are you guys saying that 18's
>with Pro-Kits dosen't look right?

Maybe it doesn't look "as good" as it could

ICQ #2199879
AOL - EvuLFleA
stillk@geocites.com

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

eclipseRSApr-05-01 09:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
11 posts,
#1533, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 10

LAST EDITED ON 05-Apr-01 AT 04:09 PM (PST)

Well I need larger than my stock wheels for my brakes. SO 17's should still look good with the prokits and perform well. I don't understand why 18's would look so terrible unless lowered. how do you all drive around with your car so low?

2GXTASYApr-05-01 10:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
84 posts,
#1534, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 11

Pro-Kits will take care of the "majority" of the wheel well gap and performance is gonna still be there. I would probably go with Intrax or H&R if I had 17's though. 1.7" drop as opposed to the 1.3"/1.2" you'll get with Pro-kits.

As far as 18's and Pro Kits go I think it looks good but I agree it does look a lot better with a lower drop.

-2GXTASY
-99 Mitsushi RS
-Northstar White

cyanApr-06-01 02:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#1535, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 12

the lower the drop, the bigger the wheels look. when i first put on my current set, i was dropped 2" all around and in the rear (which was lower obviously) the rims looked an inch bigger. now i lowered the front 4" and the rear 2" and now the fronts look like 20' whereas the rears still just look like 19s. as far as performance, he is right you will get better performance with the lower car in addition to the looks, th elower you go the better your performance. when i slammed the front, whew, what a difference, the car doesnt budge in corners. i am about to lower the rear too though, to four inches as well

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

jZaApr-11-01 11:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#1536, "RE: one last thing"
In response to Reply # 13

you sure that wasn't psychological?

as far as i'm concerened our cars start to lose performance when you go below 1.5" or so and that's why the poeple who are into auto-x, road race, etc. go with pro kits or something similar

javi d
vroom n' boom
bone-stock dsm performance

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1522 Previous topic | Next topic