Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15118
View in linear mode

Subject: "Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside" Previous topic | Next topic
MotoFoolJan-22-03 04:14 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15118, "Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"

Hey guys,

most people on here know me some have figured out that im starting up a shop/2gnt dealor for certain parts and im throwing around the idea of designing some a-arms in chromoly, with removable ball joints(replaceable) and setup to take on wider wheels.

would be made out of 4130 Chromoly setup for a real comon and or cheap ball joint for replacement purposes, and be lighter then stock..

No pics cause i Havent even began the project i thought i would take a min and see what people think?

they would be powdercoated also,

this is pertaining mostly to the front suspension for the moment,

price is null at this time would their be interest? they wont be very cheap thats a given for a custom product...

Whatcha Think?

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, The1Bill, Jan-22-03 07:11 PM, #1
RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, babybeclipse, Jan-22-03 08:00 PM, #2
      RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, MotoFool, Jan-22-03 08:22 PM, #3
           RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, mike_d, Jan-23-03 07:00 AM, #4
                RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, The1Bill, Jan-23-03 07:46 AM, #5
                     RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, MotoFool, Jan-23-03 02:42 PM, #6
                          RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, babybeclipse, Jan-24-03 04:25 AM, #7
                               RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, a_miller_76, Jan-24-03 04:48 AM, #8
                                    RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, The1Bill, Jan-25-03 08:22 AM, #9
                                         RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, MotoFool, Jan-25-03 12:11 PM, #10
                                              RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, MotoFool, Jan-26-03 09:48 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, The1Bill, Jan-27-03 01:36 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, Mystic511, Jan-27-03 05:02 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, mike_d, Jan-27-03 06:11 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, bigbrent88, Jan-27-03 10:36 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, BuckNutty, Jan-27-03 11:09 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, Amish_Eclipse, Jan-27-03 01:08 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, MotoFool, Jan-27-03 02:31 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside, kyeclipseracer, Jan-29-03 06:05 PM, #19

The1BillJan-22-03 07:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15120, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 0

I need rears too! Please? The stock arms are a bit, uh, weak. Please do the fronts and rears! Also, make them adjustable, please!
-=B-=

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

babybeclipseJan-22-03 08:00 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15121, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 1

I'm interested. Could help the Drift crowd. Plus I already went through two front balljoints.

MotoFoolJan-22-03 08:22 PM
2103 posts,
#15122, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 2

rears are in plans too

mike_dJan-23-03 07:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#15136, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 3

I would buy a set of fronts since one of mine is toast and the stock ones are pretty expensive anyway. It would be great is the ball joint was adjustabe some how to correct camber. Any idea how much they would cost (just a ballpark figure)?

95 Talon ESi-T

The1BillJan-23-03 07:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#15140, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 4

Adjustable balljoints are nice in theory, but our suspension has an intrinsic lack of travel, and the adjustability on the ball joint seems to be a bit too much. I know somebody (an autocrosser) who had the Specialty Products adjustable upper balljoints on his 2G GSX in the front, and he bottomed out the suspension on a bump. This destroyed a tyre as well as the balljoint. I think that the adjustable anchor bolts that are available would work better.
-=B-=

MotoFoolJan-23-03 02:42 PM
2103 posts,
#15166, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 5

i have an idea for that being able to adjust the ball joint and im thinking about,

so we got mike babyb and the1bill that like this or has interest init??

thats it???

babybeclipseJan-24-03 04:25 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15180, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 6
Jan-24-03 04:26 AM by babybeclipse

What can I say...we're hardcore!!!

a_miller_76Jan-24-03 04:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#15182, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 7

I'm a little confused as to the benefit. Is it for weight reduction or just stronger parts? I'm not a drifter nor do I race. If there is a benefit for me I might be interested....but as for now I'm not sure why I would need them.

The1BillJan-25-03 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#15201, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 8

The problems that I have with the stock upper arms are the flimsiness of them (try shaking one with the wheel off, it distorts considerably, even by hand) and the fact that they prevent me from rinning the wheels I want to. As for their flimsiness, it isn't a hazard, since it is not a weight bearing point in the suspension, but the stiffer that the componants can be, the easier time that the shocks and springs have of doing their job.
-=B-=

MotoFoolJan-25-03 12:11 PM
2103 posts,
#15205, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 9

they will be stronger crhomoly 4130 tubing , removable replaceable ball joints setup to move left and right slighty..

they should be lighter im not positive on the weight of the stock one since its pot metal spot welded together...

i have a real god idea for making the upperball joint adjustable for camber/caster

MotoFoolJan-26-03 09:48 PM
2103 posts,
#15256, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 10

so noone else interested?

The1BillJan-27-03 01:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#15258, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 11

If you do make the top balljoint adjustable, make sure that you do not lose suspension travel.
As I said, though, I am interested. Very interested.
-=B-=

Mystic511Jan-27-03 05:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#15259, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 12

Sounds interesting. I'm interested, but I can't commit to it until I know more.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

mike_dJan-27-03 06:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#15261, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 13

Ball joint adjustability isnt a big deal to me, I would just like a replaceable ball joint, or eliminate the ball joint all together (dont know if that is even possible). Like I said before if the price is resonable id be interested.

95 Talon ESi-T

bigbrent88Jan-27-03 10:36 AM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
#15268, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 14
Jan-27-03 10:38 AM by bigbrent88

Yeah Im interested I was actually thinking of making some but Ill let you do it makes my life easier. It should be fair bit lighter I would imagine, plus all the suspension forces would transfered many times better, steering and stability would go up, like getting low profile tires or a tie bar sorta, so anti-roll bars should work better. What do stock replacements cost? That should affect price If I can afford them and Im at that point I'd get em!!!

PS: I've got some ideas for parts I can run by you if your interested. PM or e-mail bigbrent88@hotmail.com

BuckNuttyJan-27-03 11:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#15269, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 15

If you could jus make a prototype to test its benefits then i would be interested. In theory it sounds awesome, but i am one of them hard-proof-needin bastards :p

Amish_EclipseJan-27-03 01:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#15275, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 16

replaceable joints is an awsome idea. rather pay $80 a unit than $200. mitsu sells the joints on the arm, who would make replacement units?

are you going with rounded tubular or the square tubular?

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

MotoFoolJan-27-03 02:31 PM
2103 posts,
#15287, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 17

i was thinking round tubular

replaceable automotive ball joints,

lighter and stronger

i dont think eliminating the ball joint is a good idea they are only a few$$

the mitsubishi replacements are outrageous the junk yard even wants 200$ for a used set....

alrighty well im going to check on some things and begin the cad process and work up some stuff...

kyeclipseracerJan-29-03 06:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
211 posts,
#15371, "RE: Possible New Suspension Parts Offering Look inside"
In response to Reply # 18

def. in

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15118 Previous topic | Next topic