Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15037
View in linear mode

Subject: "Put in new pads today......" Previous topic | Next topic
mrlocalpimpJan-19-03 11:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15037, "Put in new pads today......"

This isnt the most exciting thread..... But......

Ive had HUGE squeel and HUUUGE vibration, the car shakes visibly from even the outside. Well, $19.99 for the pads for the front wheels. The squeel is gone and is breaks stronger and feels better, but the huge vibration is still there. Im not surprised, as Im almost sure I need my rotors turned or something........ But At least something is fixed.

I got banned for being a constant tard.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamXtremeRS, Jan-19-03 12:47 PM, #1
RE: Put in new pads today......, mrlocalpimp, Jan-19-03 02:09 PM, #2
      RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamXtremeRS, Jan-19-03 04:25 PM, #3
           RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamDeanoD, Jan-19-03 05:41 PM, #4
                RE: Put in new pads today......, mrlocalpimp, Jan-19-03 05:58 PM, #5
                     RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamXtremeRS, Jan-19-03 06:16 PM, #6
                          RE: Put in new pads today......, zhr420, Jan-19-03 09:25 PM, #7
RE: Put in new pads today......, solareclipsegurl, Jan-20-03 05:05 PM, #8
RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamDeanoD, Jan-20-03 05:31 PM, #9
      RE: Put in new pads today......, coClipse_97, Jan-20-03 06:50 PM, #10
      RE: Put in new pads today......, TeamJasonESi_T, Jan-22-03 09:06 AM, #11
           RE: Put in new pads today......, woppishbob, Jan-22-03 10:24 AM, #12
                RE: Put in new pads today......, Collente, Jan-23-03 11:19 AM, #13
                     RE: Put in new pads today......, DemonEclipse, Feb-20-03 05:51 PM, #14
                          RE: Put in new pads today......, shybuck, Feb-20-03 06:04 PM, #15
                               RE: Put in new pads today......, 1sweet98talon, Feb-20-03 06:19 PM, #16

TeamXtremeRSJan-19-03 12:47 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#15038, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 0

If you had bad vibration before the new pads, then its your rotors that are warped. You should always replace the rotor when putting on new pads, so that they seat together properly, and are noise free. I dont recomend machining the current rotors, esp if they are warped, cause they are pretty thin to begin with. Sorry dude, you just wasted 20 bucks

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mrlocalpimpJan-19-03 02:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
#15041, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks psychic!

Apparently you know my rotors are too thin? Thats amazing. Let me put it to you this way......

When pads are used and thin, they need to be replaced. I did that. Success.

Now I machine my rotors this week, which arent to thin, and we're good to go. But good try on the prediction hobby

TeamXtremeRSJan-19-03 04:25 PM
6329 posts,
#15043, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 2

You CAN'T turn warped rotors Our rotors are somewhat thin brand new, and shouldnt be turned. Them being thin is WHY they warped in the first place most likely. You should have taken the advise that was given to you in your own thread you had about your brakes. Why didnt you get new rotors if you took it all apart to replace the pads? You can get stock replacements at Autozone or wherever pretty cheap too. But hey, its your money..just trying to save you some

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamDeanoDJan-19-03 05:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#15046, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 3

The stock ones can be turned at least once. This means a warped rotor may have to make up to 3 passes on the machine to get it straight and smooth. It will work fine for many miles. It will warp more easily now, but might get another 15-20K miles out of them if he drives normally.

The investment is small(total $40) from what he posted about his pads. If money is tight, this is a decent fix.

I had my stock rotors turned once and then installed metal master pads maybe 4 years ago. The rotors lasted less than 10K miles before they were warped even worse than the first time. Higher friction pad and less metal on the actual rotor will do this.

I now replace my rotors every time I replace pads. The fronts anyway. I have cryo treated brembo stock size replacement rotors on the front right now. When I wear my Hawk HP Plus pads out I will try to have them turned just to clean the surface. I would like to see if the brake lathe (sp?) will tear up the bit when it gets turned. LOL

We all know that he should have followed our advice the way we posted it. It is OK if he learns by doing more work.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

mrlocalpimpJan-19-03 05:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
#15047, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 4

I dont see what your guys' problem is. In theory, a person with worn pads needs new pads. *duh*. And because my rotors have never been turned, I can now have them turned as even you said it was possible. *duh*. I have a feeling a popularity contest is heating up. One person disagreed with me so everyone will now jump on board. Once again, I must excuse myself from this thread.

TeamXtremeRSJan-19-03 06:16 PM
6329 posts,
#15049, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 5

I dont see what YOUR problem is buddy. We sit here trying to HELP YOU out by possibly saving you time and money! I suggest if you dont like our help or comments, then excuse yourself from this board, or dont bother posting. And i dont want to be popular I'm here to help out others

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

zhr420Jan-19-03 09:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
#15055, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 6

dude same thing is happening to me my car used to shake a little so i thought my rotors are warped so i got them turned and put the same pads that i had before, they were almost new and they weren't cheap, now my car hella shakes when i apply the brakes. but i don't know if it is because i used the old pads, without sanding them down a bit, or if the shaking is casued by the rotors.
can't find out untill i get my car back from the satan, another story for later maybe
later
"Z"

solareclipsegurlJan-20-03 05:05 PM
254 posts,
#15063, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-20-03 05:05 PM by solareclipsegurl

>This isnt the most exciting thread..... But......
>
>Ive had HUGE squeel and HUUUGE vibration, the car shakes
>visibly from even the outside. Well, $19.99 for the pads for
>the front wheels. The squeel is gone and is breaks stronger
>and feels better, but the huge vibration is still there. Im
>not surprised, as Im almost sure I need my rotors turned or
>something........ But At least something is fixed.

i had the same probs with my breaks.. and i did the 19.99 front brake pad install too.. i didnt do my rotors eventhough i need too only because i'm getting ready to buy big break kit..so i figured i'd just put something on so i could get around for a few weeks till my brakes came in..

but when i had my brakes done the first time (bout a year ago) i had all new pads put in and had one rotor replaced with factory and one machined.. Now since i didnt know at the time..this was the wrong thing to do.. (not only was it dumb of me to spend 100 bux on 1 stock mitsu rotor ..it was also dumb of me to spend 40 on machining the other one..).. i say this because we all know mitsu brakes suck balls...but when you machine one.. it will only last you a few months till it warps again.. in fact.. i had my car for bout 7 months and without braking hard i alrady needed new pads and both rotors the 8th month..

just my advice..only do what your doing for a temp fix till you can afford better pads and at least slotted rotors.. cause machining them will make it more brittle.. the 2nd month i had my car .. the machined rotor already had burn marks on it..

Do whatever you feel you need to.. i'm just giving you the senero that happened to me..and it ended up costing me more money in the long run..

~Lisa~

www.liquidimaginationz.com
www.extremecarsinc.com

TeamDeanoDJan-20-03 05:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#15065, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 8

Mrlocalpimp- from your posts it sounds like you are a young kid. I am not a kid and do not appreciate your tone on this topic. I do believe it was not intended towards me, but in any case you are being very disrespectful. This is a friendly board with all of us trying to help each other. It is best when we post our own experiences and not post what we have read from other peoples posts. This way we get a broad view of what works and what does not. Some people have had very bad experiences with stock rotors. Less than 20K miles were not uncommon before they warped on stock pads. I do believe some of these rotors were defective or were sub par compared to the wear most of us has gotten. If someone posted that they believe you should never turn stock rotors, then with their experiences it has turned bad and not worth the money.

Try and read every response, then make your own decision on what is best for you and your car. $ is always a deciding factor in any decision.

Never Never......disrespect someone after they took the time to post a reply to help you out. Just choose to use another option or put their suggestion in your back pocket. I have posted to this forum for quite a few years and have learned so much about my car. I have also tried to pass on my own experiences to help others with decisions or fix problems that I have encountered. I have never posted to someone about their behavior, but this cannot go unchecked.

And yes, I do read where he jumped your shit a little about not turning your rotors at the same time as you changed your pads. So fuckin what......you should have just took the little bit of shit and said thanks for all your help guys. That is what I would have done.....the adult thing. This is all my opinion and you do not have to follow my advice. I really do care about every brother and sister here and this is why I replied.

Have a good day brother......and get those rotors turned "LOL"

BTW: no need to reply.....but I hope you REALLY read it

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

coClipse_97Jan-20-03 06:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
361 posts,
#15069, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 9

^^^^^^^^^: word.

97 Eclipse GS
Mods:
AEM CAI, OBX muffler, Goldline springs, FU/RU STBs, Platinum plugs, Progress camber kit
To go on:
AFX UDP, 18" 5 Zigen Copse w/Toyo Proxes
Greddy Evo and HRC Stage 2 coming soon!!

TeamJasonESi_TJan-22-03 09:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#15113, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 9

Man Deano, your post was....just....awesome.

Amen, bro.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

woppishbobJan-22-03 10:24 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2002
168 posts,
#15114, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 11

man if you don't have the money to buy brake rotors for about 20 bucks a piece you need not be in the car game

CollenteJan-23-03 11:19 AM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#15156, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 12

So buy rotors and new break pads. That is what everyone is telling me to do, I have the shakes pretty bad.... If im not mistaken you can get slotted rotors from ebay pretty cheap.

Oh and in reply to all Mrlocalpimp's posts. XtremeRS is the man... so eat shit.

Nick
97RS
OBX Headers, OBX CAI, OBX Cat-Back, 8%tint,Walbro High flow pump, Accell wires/plugs, Custom interior, Upper Strut Bar, Kenwood/pioneer stereo.
Old: Custom IHI Stage2
In about a week: NX75 shot, AFX Ecu

DemonEclipseFeb-20-03 05:51 PM
Member since Jan 19th 2003
165 posts,
#15888, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 13

yah were all friends here and all together for same car to learn more. Talk about the cars, not all of this bullshit. good luck

intake, 2.5 exhaust w/gst muffler, pacesetter header, msd wires, ngk plugs, port and polish throttlebody, front and rear strut bars, 1.5' tenzo springs, 17" primax rims, kuhmo tires, leather interior, gsx sideskirts, BM shortshifter, GM fluid in trans...

shybuckFeb-20-03 06:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#15890, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 14

I just did my front brakes. New pads and rotors= $62.50 That will do both front wheels at napa. Turning= $32.50 and last like six months then need to be replaced. Napa rotors and brakes gauranteed for at least 1 yr.

1sweet98talonFeb-20-03 06:19 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2002
341 posts,
#15891, "RE: Put in new pads today......"
In response to Reply # 15

Ive done at least 5 different dsm brakes, and 4 or 5 brakes on Chrysler/ Mitsu Cars. Listen to XtremeRS.. Buy new rotors, they are only $20-25 a piece, and will save you $$ and time in the long run.
Few other tips for brakes: Never spray the rotors w/water after braking hard. Also, torque you're wheel bolts to the same torque setting, or close to them. Tightening one more than the others can cause warpage. I've messed up rotors in both situations. Hope this helps.

"If there is nothing mechanically wrong with you're DSM, then there is something wrong with you're DSM"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #15037 Previous topic | Next topic