Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1466
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..." Previous topic | Next topic
RazApr-02-01 10:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
24 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1466, "Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..."

I'm new to the boardand have looked in the archives but have not found a definitive answer. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Will 18x8s rub with pro-kit springs? (on stock struts if it makes a difference) I don't want to cut or roll my fender wells. Also, I read something about having to cut the bumpstop on the front, is this totally necessary if you lower the car?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..., 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-02-01 12:47 PM, #1
RE: Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..., cyan, Apr-02-01 02:10 PM, #2
      it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, TeamDeanoD, Apr-02-01 02:27 PM, #3
           RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, 99GSBBTurbo, Apr-02-01 08:33 PM, #4
                RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, Raz, Apr-03-01 08:13 AM, #5
                     RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, phatGS, Apr-23-01 02:14 PM, #6
                          RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, cyan, Apr-24-01 05:39 AM, #7
                               RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, CluckeRMC, Apr-24-01 01:16 PM, #8
                               RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered, Teameclipse804, Apr-25-01 05:54 PM, #10
                               RE: cyan, phatGS, Apr-26-01 02:41 AM, #11
They won't if you..., Skrilla, Apr-25-01 04:56 PM, #9
RE: They won't if you..., jZa, Apr-26-01 01:51 PM, #12
RE: Rolling and flaring..., phatGS, Apr-29-01 11:46 AM, #13

99GSBBTurboApr-02-01 12:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1467, "RE: Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..."
In response to Reply # 0

You always have to cut the bump stops when you lower your car, it's not that big of a deal.

I have 18X8 with 225/40's and they don't rub. I have Eibach Sportline springs with Tokico struts, well, they kinda do, but only on the pasenger back side, and that's cause I have a heavy ass box with 2 10's in my trun Can't live with out BASS!! And it only rubs when I make a HARD left turn.

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyanApr-02-01 02:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#1468, "RE: Help, Will 18x8s Rub With..."
In response to Reply # 1

whats the purpose of cutting the bumpstops, my car is lowered a good bit and my bumpstops are still stock.

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

TeamDeanoDApr-02-01 02:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1469, "it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 2

If you do not cut the stops (recommend 1/2) you will be bottoming out all the time on the stops. This allows your car to ride better with more travel.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

99GSBBTurboApr-02-01 08:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1191 posts,
#1470, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 3

yep.

Ball Bearing Star Stage II
"Power is nothing without control"

I use to have a White 99 GS Sport with a Star Stage II Ball Bearing T3/T4 turbo...it was fun untill....well those who remember me know Oh Ya...this is what I have now... a 99' GSX...

RazApr-03-01 08:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
24 posts,
#1471, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 4

So, if I understand this correctly, 18x8s with Pro-kits and the bumpstops cut 1/2 inch will not rub. How do you cut the bumpstops? Also, do all the bumpstops need cut?

phatGSApr-23-01 02:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#1472, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 5

cut em all, there's only 1 per strut. Just cut them in half, it's not a big deal, really simple, you'll see when you get it all apart.

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM CAI w/ bypass
Maxspeed Coilovers
Pilot FU STB
Best ET: 17.243 @ 80.67 mph

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

cyanApr-24-01 05:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#1473, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 6

its not exactly easy though. first of all, my coilovers are set to low to thread the nut on the strut with the bumpstops installed (unless i get a compressor...im not) so i had to leave the stops out. secondly, cutting the bumpstops easy? i went at them with scissors, razors and the damn jigsaw and made an indention about as deep as a hair. screw it.

http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

CluckeRMCApr-24-01 01:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
549 posts,
#1474, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 7

Everything south of a chainsaw huh? haha..

Josh
95 Eclipse RS

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
Evo Front Bumper (no pics yet)
Projector Headlights
Clear Corners
Stereo System
-Alpine Deck
-2 JL 10" Subs
-Phoenix Gold XS2300 Amp
-Custom Fit Box
Viper Alarm

Teameclipse804Apr-25-01 05:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1475, "RE: it allows for full travel of the strut with the car lowered"
In response to Reply # 8

Actually cutting the yellow bumpstops should be really easy. We just used one of those small razor blades (little ghetto ones, not a knife or anything) and it cut through pretty easy. Just cut it in the middle, so you get more travel.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

phatGSApr-26-01 02:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#1476, "RE: cyan"
In response to Reply # 7

They're a piece of cake. Put them in a vise and take a hacksaw to them, 1, maybe 2 swipes and they're cut in half. They're just a rubber-like material.

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM CAI w/ bypass
Maxspeed Coilovers
Pilot FU STB

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

SkrillaApr-25-01 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1477, "They won't if you..."
In response to Reply # 0

ROLL AND FLARE YOUR FENDERS!!!

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

jZaApr-26-01 01:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#1478, "RE: They won't if you..."
In response to Reply # 9

skrilla must have that typed in his clipboard

javi d
vroom n' boom
my cause is because

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

phatGSApr-29-01 11:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#1479, "RE: Rolling and flaring..."
In response to Reply # 9

How do you do this skrilla? Is it something that anybody can do or does a body shop or something have to do it?

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM CAI w/ bypass
Maxspeed Coilovers
Pilot FU STB
2 12" Pioneer IMPP's

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1466 Previous topic | Next topic