Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1432
View in linear mode

Subject: "I just installed APC Coilovers...some impressions" Previous topic | Next topic
KahnApr-01-01 08:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1432, "I just installed APC Coilovers...some impressions"

Hmm...thats odd rides a lot like stock.

Not that stiff
Kinda bouncy
No body roll at all in the turns
Car looks so much better lowered

BTW - can someone with a 95-96 Eclipse give me some stock height measurements - forgot to do that before I lowered the car - would like to know how far I have it dropped.

Thanks guys.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Skunk2 impressions..., Teameclipse804, Apr-01-01 08:18 AM, #1
RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teamicjeclipse, Apr-01-01 09:35 AM, #2
      Yup..., Skrilla, Apr-01-01 09:53 AM, #3
      RE: Yup..., trickedeclipse, Apr-01-01 10:12 AM, #4
           No pics yet tricked eclipse, Kahn, Apr-01-01 10:26 AM, #5
      RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teameclipse804, Apr-01-01 10:49 AM, #6
           RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teamicjeclipse, Apr-01-01 01:13 PM, #7
                RE: Skunk2 impressions..., trickedeclipse, Apr-01-01 02:08 PM, #8
                RE: Skunk2 impressions..., trickedeclipse, Apr-01-01 02:10 PM, #9
                     Way shorter...., Kahn, Apr-01-01 03:13 PM, #10
                RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teameclipse804, Apr-01-01 04:37 PM, #11
                     RE: Skunk2 impressions..., trickedeclipse, Apr-02-01 01:45 AM, #12
                     RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teameclipse804, Apr-02-01 07:07 AM, #13
                     RE: Skunk2 impressions..., Teamicjeclipse, Apr-02-01 01:55 PM, #14

Teameclipse804Apr-01-01 08:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1433, "Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 0

Not that stiff? Wow I just installed my Skunk2 coilovers which are REALLY stiff. The ride can get really harsh over bumps as you constantly feel the car hit hard and push up against you. It doesn't really bounce, but follows every bump in the road. Mike at RRE suggested putting the rear springs (which are softer) into the front, and ordering some even softer rear springs. The ride is decent, but not nearly as smooth as with my H&R Sports. BTW, the spring perches on the KYB GR2's are so easy to remove. Just use a hammer and knock it upwards about 3 times and it comes right off...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamicjeclipseApr-01-01 09:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#1434, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 1

LAST EDITED ON 01-Apr-01 AT 02:36 PM (PST)

Are the KYB GR2's the stock replacement or the non-adjustable KYB shock. How much were they?
My skunks aren't to stiff, but they are on stock blown shocks so that may make a difference.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

SkrillaApr-01-01 09:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#1435, "Yup..."
In response to Reply # 2

The crazy part about the Skunk2 is the way the coils are wraped. They are even all the way up and down. this style tends to be stiffer. Eclipse804 pointed that out to me.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

trickedeclipseApr-01-01 10:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#1436, "RE: Yup..."
In response to Reply # 3

kahn, do you like them?? i have arospeed, which i believe are the same thing. got any pics of your car with them yet?

PJ

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

KahnApr-01-01 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#1437, "No pics yet tricked eclipse"
In response to Reply # 4

I do like them - and you are probably right about them being the same coilovers. Black slip coilover, red anodized perches, yellow springs and a red top hat right?

I will try to get some pics when I get my rims back on - right now I am rolling on some snows and hubcaps - oh so sexy. Kind of a shame - my rims should have been finished (painting them white) but oh well.

You can see the car in person in a few weeks if you wish - remember I am in Ithaca, and you are in Syracuse. Drop me an email. kidsonic@lycosmail.com

Teameclipse804Apr-01-01 10:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1438, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 2

The KYB GR2 are the nonadjustable shocks which are basically a heavy duty stock replacement. They are supposed to be somewhat better and stiffer so that they can work with lowered cars. I need to take a ride in your car sometime to compare the difference...my car is set really high, maybe at most 1 " below stock height right now...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamicjeclipseApr-01-01 01:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#1439, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 6

My rear coils are as low as they can go and the fronts have about 3/4 inch left. I can stick 3 fingers in all the wheel wells except for the left rear, i can only fit two. It looks a lot better than it did with the Tokicos. And i am riding on stock(blown) shocks.

Does anyone have helper springs on there's? I am thinking about getting these so my rear srings don't get off alignment? How much are helper springs.

I am getting a set of OBX-R coilovers this week so i will see if those are better than the skunks.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS

trickedeclipseApr-01-01 02:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#1440, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 7

oh yeah, i forgot... woo hooo i'm excited now. a 2gnt brotha to go riding around with. we gotta meet up. there's a dude that lives past ithaca and he drives 5 days a week to clean my store (vacuum floors, clean bathrooms, blah blah) ithaca can't be too far. let's do something when the weather gets nice. i'm leaving for albany though soon, i'll be gone april 10th-27th.... is anyone from albany?

PJ

-PJ

"Making Dreams Reality"

trickedeclipseApr-01-01 02:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#1441, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 8

oh yeah, another question... did your coilovers seem WAYYYYYY shorter than your stock springs? even when they were adjusted all the way up? mine were like 4-5 inches shorter at their highest setting.

-PJ

"Making Dreams Reality"

KahnApr-01-01 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#1442, "Way shorter...."
In response to Reply # 9

the coilover springs themselves were only 4" long. I don't have my coilovers really all that low and there is really only about 1" of wheel well gap now - I guess 3 fingers is right. I could definitely go much lower (to the ground) and I am tempted to say I could get close to stock height.

My car is creaking a little bit right now, but I suspect a little bit of teflon here and there will solve that problem quickly.

Also we ran out of time installing them so I couldn't get the 15 dollar camber mod in there - should get it in on Tuesday though.

When the weather gets a little bit nicer and my car is all finished (still some things to do) I would definitely like to do a little cruising with you.

I might be making a drive to Syracuse in a week or two, not that its really all that far (60 miles). So its only an hours drive.

Hope those answer your questions.

Teameclipse804Apr-01-01 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1443, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 7

Hey Ian, did you knock off the stock spring perch? My rear also doesn't seem like it can go that low, even with the perch knocked off. The rear is about one inch from the bottom, and I have a four finger gap, so the most I could lower it is about one more inch. I guess it IS lower than my H&R springs though. How come you're switching to OBX? I think Skunk2 should be better as far as performance, since OBX just makes generic stuff like strut bars etc...Also, how come you took off your Tokikos? Those should be way better than stock...hey do you still need the mesh? Maybe we can meet up at the shop over the weekend and then I could see how your ride is too...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

trickedeclipseApr-02-01 01:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#1444, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 11

eclipse804... you live around here too? it's supposed to be nice this weekend in syracuse, we should all meet up and go honda hunting. let me know what you think.

-PJ

"Making Dreams Reality"

Teameclipse804Apr-02-01 07:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#1445, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 12

Hey, ya I'm actually in Los Angeles, been thinking about going up to Palmdale to the track. I used to go to Ontario, but I heard they're cracking down a lot now...let me know if you guys wanna meet up, maybe we can meet at T&L since Ian needs to get some mesh still...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamicjeclipseApr-02-01 01:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#1446, "RE: Skunk2 impressions..."
In response to Reply # 11

Yes the perches are knocked off. I took off the tokicos because the lowest you can go is stock height. The diameter of the Tokicos strut body is larger than the Skunk sleve, so it wont go past the perch, even if i were to grind it off. I am getting the OBX's for free because i traded a guy for my stock spring for them. I think the OBX's have have 4 inch springs, compared to the 7 inch springs that Skunks have, so you drop it a lot more.

I can't come down Saturday because i have job training. Also i don't think we can meet up with trickeclipse because he lives in New York.

P.S. I live about 10 minutes for the ontario street races.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #1432 Previous topic | Next topic