Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #14179
View in linear mode

Subject: "are gst spyder/rs struts identical?" Previous topic | Next topic
510eclipseDec-11-02 05:52 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14179, "are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"

i am in the middle of converting my car back to stock to sell and i had a few important questions about the suspension before i get started.

first off, if i were to take out my agx's to sell, could i swap in the stock struts from a 97 gst spyder into my rs? are they identical to the stock rs struts?

second, i still have my stock springs and i want to swap them back in place of the prokits. i forgot to label the stock springs so i have no clue which are the front and which are the rears. i DO NOT want to swap it all and then have to redo it a second time when i realize my front end is slammed from the engine weight by accidentally putting the rears in the front etc etc. two of the springs should be at least a little bit shorter, so could someone tell me which are fronts?

as always, tia you guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, zhr420, Dec-11-02 08:54 PM, #1
RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, fasterGS, Dec-12-02 01:26 AM, #2
      RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, Jen, Dec-12-02 02:57 AM, #3
           RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, 510eclipse, Dec-12-02 04:23 AM, #4
                RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, Jen, Dec-12-02 05:40 AM, #5
                     RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-13-02 06:20 AM, #6
                          RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, spyder5280, Dec-14-02 11:08 AM, #7
                               RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, 510eclipse, Dec-15-02 09:13 PM, #8
RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?, Karl, Dec-17-02 05:15 AM, #9

zhr420Dec-11-02 08:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14180, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 0

i don't think so just because of the fact that the spyder has alot more wieght in the back than a hardtop.
later
"Z"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSDec-12-02 01:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#14181, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know about spyder springs, but on mine the front springs were beefier than the rears. As in the diamter of the metal rod making the springs was bigger on the front. I would imagine this to be true with the spyder also.

JenDec-12-02 02:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#14182, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 2

>are they identical to the stock rs struts?

I'm pretty sure that even if they're not identical (i.e. if the stock Spyder springs are stiffer) they would still fit.

-1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T
-1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

510eclipseDec-12-02 04:23 AM
424 posts,
#14183, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 3

mm... what i was wondering is not about the spyder springs but the struts, or some people call them shocks although they are struts not shocks. i was wondering if i could use stock gst spyder struts on an rs without any negative/unusual results.

and thanks about the tip with the springs fastergs, it makes sense that the diamiter of the spring coil should be thicker for the front springs. i will check that out today.

JenDec-12-02 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#14184, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah, struts too. I don't see why they would be any different.

-1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T

Amish_EclipseDec-13-02 06:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#14185, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 5

can't see why it wouldn't fit. being right for the car is another story but as far as fitment i'd think so.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

spyder5280Dec-14-02 11:08 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2002
22 posts,
#14186, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 6

When I did the shocks and springs on my spyder. I used the ones off of a GSX. I bought the Tokico Suspension Set with the blues. They work great. So unless GSX struts fit on a RS, I doubt it will work.

--Chris

510eclipseDec-15-02 09:13 PM
424 posts,
#14187, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 7

screw it, time to find out how it will ride on the stock springs and blown stock shocks.

KarlDec-17-02 05:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
289 posts,
#14188, "RE: are gst spyder/rs struts identical?"
In response to Reply # 0

The struts off a Spyder will fit and will work fine. The only difference is the springs. The Spyder springs a bit stiffer.

Karl
97 GS
04 BMW 330i ZHP

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #14179 Previous topic | Next topic