Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13834
View in linear mode

Subject: "I need help.......thinking about getting 19's" Previous topic | Next topic
dfreshDec-02-02 08:58 AM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13834, "I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"

Ok, right now I have 18's and sportlines with stock shocks for now but my girl curbed two wheels and they look like shit, not to metion that I curbed the other two also so, I have 4 curbed wheels and I cant stand it. My buddy has 19 inch Konig blades I think on kis 3g and he is gonning to sell it for a truck. He told me that I could trade my wheels and some money for his 19's since he is selling his car anyway. I was just wanting to know what are the pro's and cons with having 19's. Yes I know the tires will cost more but that is ok, I was really wanting to know how it is gonna effect the way I go over bumps, will it bottom out, will they fit to begin with, will I need spacers so it won't rub. ALL feedback will help me so don't hold back, I want to know everthing I can before I do the trade.

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Synthplaya, Dec-02-02 12:58 PM, #1
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-02-02 02:39 PM, #2
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, jerseystyle1, Dec-02-02 11:28 PM, #3
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, HiOnPSI, Dec-03-02 02:02 AM, #4
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-03-02 02:29 PM, #5
      RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-03-02 04:39 PM, #6
RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-03-02 04:42 PM, #7
      RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-04-02 04:43 PM, #8
           RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-05-02 03:04 AM, #9
                RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-05-02 11:40 AM, #10
                     RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-05-02 12:45 PM, #11
                          RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-06-02 11:06 PM, #12
                               RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-07-02 02:48 AM, #13
                                    RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, jerseystyle1, Dec-07-02 11:49 AM, #14
                                         RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-07-02 04:33 PM, #15
                                         RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, jerseystyle1, Dec-07-02 06:33 PM, #16
                                              RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Dont_need_8, Dec-07-02 07:07 PM, #17
                                         RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-08-02 12:36 PM, #18
                                              RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-08-02 02:02 PM, #19
                                                   RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-08-02 02:17 PM, #20
                                                        RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-11-02 01:31 PM, #21
                                                        RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-11-02 02:16 PM, #23
                                                        RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-11-02 02:01 PM, #22
                                                        RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-11-02 02:59 PM, #24
                                                             RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-11-02 03:14 PM, #25
                                                                  RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-11-02 03:31 PM, #26
                                                                       RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, TeamXtremeRS, Dec-11-02 03:53 PM, #27
                                                                            RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-11-02 04:25 PM, #28
                                                                            RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-13-02 05:41 AM, #32
                                                                            RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, MCubed45, Dec-12-02 12:12 AM, #29
                                                        RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, 2hot97GS, Dec-12-02 06:41 AM, #30
                                                             RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, widebodied, Dec-12-02 07:28 AM, #31
                                                                  RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's, dfresh, Dec-13-02 09:03 PM, #33

SynthplayaDec-02-02 12:58 PM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
265 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13835, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 0

I personally like 17's... they look good and have size, and the price of tires is pretty good, and they are still pretty light. I think 18's are still worth gettin, but 19's are just too much money for tires and too heavy, they would be nice on a car that doesnt matter about speed, well if you dont care about speed and how heavy they are then its fine, imo they are just too heavy and expensive to replace tires. 17's-18's are the way to go.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

9D9 MITSU RSDec-02-02 02:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#13836, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 1

u sure? it's gonna piss u off to no ends if u curb 19's. Be careful 1st.

jerseystyle1Dec-02-02 11:28 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#13837, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 0

>but my girl curbed two wheels and they look like

FIRST MISTAKE!

>effect the way I go over bumps, will it bottom out, will
>they fit to begin with, will I need spacers so it won't rub.

Depending on the series of tires it will effect how you take bumps. Shouldn't be much different then with 18's. You definitely will need to roll the fenders. As far as spacers are concerned, I have no clue! And if they are off of a 3G they will fit a 2G.

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

HiOnPSIDec-03-02 02:02 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#13838, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 3

Who wants to sell me stock OZ wheels?

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MODS: 8.8:1 JE Pistons / Eagle rods / Stage 1 Hahn turbocharger / Melling Oil Pump / Autometer 5" tach / 4 JL 12" W0 subwoofers / Clarion 230w amp / short shifter mod / GReddy EVO exhaust / custom 2 1/2" downpipe / no cat con / CM Stage 1 / 30lb Mustang injectors / TurboXS MBC / 1G SMIC / Eibach Sportline springs / KYB GR-2 struts / GReddy 52mm EGT / A'PEXi Super AFC

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS | 2001 Lexus IS300
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

Amish_EclipseDec-03-02 02:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13839, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 4

besides tires 19's will recquire a heavy drop to make your car look normal. they're also hard on your suspension so if you do this plan your next mods to be koni yellows (no substitues since these have a life time warranty and will be easily replaced when, that's right when, they blow out) front and rear camber kits and some good quality springs. sleeve coils would not be good here if you plan on doing any real driving. if your just crusing then sleeve coils may be alright for you.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

widebodiedDec-03-02 04:39 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
#13840, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 5

>besides tires 19's will recquire a heavy drop to make your
>car look normal. they're also hard on your suspension so if
>you do this plan your next mods to be koni yellows (no
>substitues since these have a life time warranty and will be
>easily replaced when, that's right when, they blow out)
>front and rear camber kits and some good quality springs.
>sleeve coils would not be good here if you plan on doing any
>real driving. if your just crusing then sleeve coils may be
>alright for you.

not being a jackass or anything, but seriously, how would you know? how are they hard on suspension? why would they require a heavy drop? why wouldnt sleeve soils be alright for doing real driving?

thats weird, never had any of the problems that were mentioned in the post or any that you have mentioned, befor i put the air ride back on , i ran a inch drop on 19s (coilovers) and the car looked good, no wheel gap, nice handling, nice ride. im runnin Kmc Suicides right now, they weigh 19lbs a peice with out tires. tires are about 175 a peice for some average tires.

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low
"PAID THE COST TO BE THE BOSS"

Fully built motor,Hrc stage 3, 19 inch rollers, Big Brakes, Targa top conversion, custom hood,supra taillights, trd wing with cf, kaminari widebody kit, air ride, autometer guages and all of Apexi Sacf, avc-r, rev/speed meter. interior fully glassed, tenzo r seats, pics soon to come!

Originally posted by DSMRoadster
yeah, those of us who are immune to the "2gnt" curse. Curse is a joke, if you have it, it's cuz you have no clue how to play the game.

DISCLAIMER: Some of what I say may upset you, make you cry, or even make you consider suicide. I am not responsible for how your sensitive punk ass decides to take it

The official 2GNT EGO Wrecker

widebodiedDec-03-02 04:42 PM
2257 posts,
#13841, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 3

>Depending on the series of tires it will effect how you take bumps. >Shouldn't be much different then with 18's. You definitely will need >to roll the fenders.

why would he need to roll the fenders, i got 2 buddys on 19s and 1 on 20s, none had to roll there fenders and we are all on air. you dont need to roll your fenders unless your going wide, most fwd 19s or 7-8 inch in width.

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Fully built motor,Hrc stage 3, 19 inch rollers, Big Brakes, Targa top conversion, custom hood,supra taillights, trd wing with cf, kaminari widebody kit, air ride, autometer guages and all of Apexi Sacf, avc-r, rev/speed meter. interior fully glassed, tenzo r seats, pics soon to come!

yeah, those of us who are immune to the "2gnt" curse. Curse is a joke, if you have it, it's cuz you have no clue how to play the game.

DISCLAIMER: Some of what I say may upset you, make you cry, or even make you consider suicide. I am not responsible for how your sensitive punk ass decides to take it

Amish_EclipseDec-04-02 04:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13842, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 7

>not being a jackass or anything, but seriously, how would
>you know? how are they hard on suspension? why would they
>require a heavy drop? why wouldnt sleeve soils be alright
>for doing real driving?
>
>thats weird, never had any of the problems that were
>mentioned in the post or any that you have mentioned, befor
>i put the air ride back on , i ran a inch drop on 19s
>(coilovers) and the car looked good, no wheel gap, nice
>handling, nice ride. im runnin Kmc Suicides right now, they
>weigh 19lbs a peice with out tires. tires are about 175 a
>peice for some average tires.

i've been working in a garage as a tire and suspension technician for over a year. it's my job to know this. i deal with this everyday from sales people that tell me "just put it on".

they're harder on suspension because you have less tire to absorb vibration and bumps. also since they need more of a drop they depend more on the rest of your suspension

they would recquire a heavy drop in order to remain pleasant looking. this is highly up to the owner but about everyone i know personally on 19's has dropped at least 2.5 inches to get the right affect.

sleeve coils aren't good for real driving becaues of the way they're designed. a sleeve coil is made to be adjustable. so they use a spring that is made to be soft enough to compress it down. unless you use a sleeve coil at the lowest setting your not going to get a great amount of stiffness. also by using the lowest possible setting your risking bottoming out because the spring has less room to travel. a good spring is designed to be low enough for a performance gain and stiff enough to keep the car from bottoming out. since the spring is make with more stiffness in mind it absorbs shock better. since it's still longer than the spring in the sleeve type coil it will travel more and prevent bottoming out and blowing your struts. springs are a better choice. the only thing better than a good spring would be a true coil system. these almost always cost over 1g. the KYB coils cost over 2g's

widebodiedDec-05-02 03:04 AM
2257 posts,
#13843, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 8

ive never had a rough ride with them, on air, or on my coil-overs.

>>they would recquire a heavy drop in order to remain pleasant >>looking. this is highly up to the owner but about everyone i know >>personally on 19's has dropped at least 2.5 inches to get the right >>affect.

are these dsm's that is seriously doubtful of a 2.5 inch drop, for everday driving, there tires will be gone in months cuz of the fucked camber, and you cant have a camber kit on a big drop btw on a dsm.

im on air ride, the only time when i drop it to about 3 inch es, is cruising down south side wards(strip) or crowd pleaser. the most i can go is 5.5 inchese and 3's not far, have you ever seen a dsm on 19s, look at any of them, not much of a drop because its not needed on dsm.

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Amish_EclipseDec-05-02 11:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13844, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 9

i know your camber would be out that's why i said to get camber kits and yes you can do camber kits on a big drop because it's been done a couple times already.

widebodiedDec-05-02 12:45 PM
2257 posts,
#13845, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 10

>i know your camber would be out that's why i said to get
>camber kits and yes you can do camber kits on a big drop
>because it's been done a couple times already.

LOL, YOU CANT CAMBER CORRECT 19 INCH WHEELS ON THAT BIG OF A DROP, I HAD A CAMBER KIT WHEN I HAD THE COILOVERS ON, THE WHEELS HIT THE WHEEL WELL, WHEN I DROPED PASSED 2 INCHES.CANT DO IT, ITS BEEN DONE BEFORE, I WOULD KNOW, THIS IS BASED ON PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE, NOT FROM WHAT IS HEARD.

HRC SUPER 16G FOR SALE BRAND NEW,, 800 USD
Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Amish_EclipseDec-06-02 11:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13846, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 11

thanks for the caps and i know it can't be corrected perfectly. but the camber kit will bring you back close enough to spec so you don't eat your tires up nearly as quick. plus a good tech will get you damn close to dead on if not exactly.

widebodiedDec-07-02 02:48 AM
2257 posts,
#13847, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 12

>thanks for the caps and i know it can't be corrected
>perfectly. but the camber kit will bring you back close
>enough to spec so you don't eat your tires up nearly as
>quick. plus a good tech will get you damn close to dead on
>if not exactly.

yea a camber kit is possible, just expect not to drob it pass 2 inches or so..........

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

jerseystyle1Dec-07-02 11:49 AM
3135 posts,
#13848, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 13

>yea a camber kit is possible, just expect not to drob it
>pass 2 inches or so..........
That's funny, I have Skunk2's all the way down (over 2 inches) and my camber (with the help of a kit) is perfect. And I am talking from experience.

Allan

Member# 1980

Amish_EclipseDec-07-02 04:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13849, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 14

>That's funny, I have Skunk2's all the way down (over 2
>inches) and my camber (with the help of a kit) is perfect.
>And I am talking from experience.

thank you. btw did you get my PM? asking about your wheels

jerseystyle1Dec-07-02 06:33 PM
3135 posts,
#13850, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 15

Didn't get it. What can I do for you?

Allan

Member# 1980

Dont_need_8Dec-07-02 07:07 PM
Member since Aug 30th 2002
197 posts,
#13851, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 16

I am not sure how much you paid for the wheels or how bad they were "curbed" but I know that wheels can be resurfaced to fix blemishes. This might be an option.

AEM CAI, AFX Underdrive Pulley, Greddy Header, Tsudo N1 2.5 stainless catback, Homemade groundwire kit
17" Fondmetal 6500, Tokico Illuminas, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Front Upper Strut Bar, Baer Track System, Drum to Disc, RMDSM Anti-sway bars front and rear.

widebodiedDec-08-02 12:36 PM
2257 posts,
#13852, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 14

>>yea a camber kit is possible, just expect not to drob it
>>pass 2 inches or so..........
>That's funny, I have Skunk2's all the way down (over 2
>inches) and my camber (with the help of a kit) is perfect.
>And I am talking from experience.

so your car is just about all the way dropped? looks 2 inches but i seriously think you could go lower than that, and if you did, your rear tires would hit the wheel well, and what series tires you running and how wide are those 18s? 7 inchs? cuz your camber looks correct and it looks from the pic that you rub over big speed bumps or dips in the road.............

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Amish_EclipseDec-08-02 02:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13853, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 18

you can't tell if camber is out by looking at it. correct camber doesn't mean perfectly flat. the wheel has to be at a certain angle

widebodiedDec-08-02 02:17 PM
2257 posts,
#13854, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 19

>you can't tell if camber is out by looking at it. correct
>camber doesn't mean perfectly flat. the wheel has to be at
>a certain angle

okay i can tell im talking to a professional here you can absolutely tell if a lowered car is out of camber, i dont know what planet you come from but why couldnt you?? you couldnt tell it exactly how out of camber but if you wanna see what stock camber (perfect,)looks like, look at any car, that has no suspension modifications, and has a correct alignment. full contact path is a correct camber, or even wear.

i dont care what is said in this thread, im running 19 INCH WHEELS not 16s, not 17s, not 18s, BUT 19sIm also on air, so i know what its like to be at just about every height possible, i was running a camber kit in the rear, im still running the one in the front. in the rear, on drop passed 2 inches, the tire hit the wheel well, and im running 30 series tires. this is factual information from a me, which to my knowledge, im the only poster in this thread thats running 19s............

HRC SUPER 16G FOR SALE barely used,, 800 USD
Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Amish_EclipseDec-11-02 01:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13855, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 20

your hopeless. just because you know what works for you doesn't mean you know anything about suspenions. i make my money with this. i've been trained by mechanics in one of the largest corporations in the country. i've been given written tests on this. i know what i'm saying.

widebodiedDec-11-02 02:16 PM
2257 posts,
#13856, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 21

>your hopeless. just because you know what works for you
>doesn't mean you know anything about suspenions. i make my
>money with this. i've been trained by mechanics in one of
>the largest corporations in the country. i've been given
>written tests on this. i know what i'm saying.

bro, thats nice, make your living selling tires oor installin em, thats all you, i could care less what it says on paper, and i could care less what your "trained mechanics tell you"

you might "know what your saying" but theres a difference between what your saying and what im saying, your saying what is heard.... or what is theroized

im speaking from DIRECT HANDS ON experience, so whos information will be more factual???................

and for the record, ive had several suspensions systems, including Tanabe Sustecs Full coilovers, springs, camber kits, swaybars, slip on coil-overs and air, which im currently running air now, 16s,17s,18s,19s inch rims,ive had it all so yes, in particular, i know the dsm suspension quite well wouldnt ya think, ive been been in this game since i was 16, so yes i do have hands on knowledge under my belt, not hearsay......

btw, if your so trained in this and that, you should be able to tell when a car is out of camber by eye if its more than 5 degrees off, which most are

HRC SUPER 16G FOR SALE BRAND NEW,, 650 USD
Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

TeamXtremeRSDec-11-02 02:01 PM
6329 posts,
#13857, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"

Each particualar car has different camber and alignment specs. "perfect" camber doesnt mean the tire contact patch is even with the road. Most cars, esp multi-link independant suspensions need some negative camber for proper handling. Having 0 degree camber means the tire is completely flat against the ground. Most cars dont want 0 degrees, esp in the rear of the car. You would loose controll around a heavy turn, with speed, pretty quick. Our stock camber specs call for around -1.5 degree average for the rear tires. For the fronts, anywhere from +.5 to .5 degree is ok. Why on earth do you want 19" wheels anyway?? The ride will suck, driving will suck, and bumps will suck. IMO, it will look like shit. The wheel will just look way to big for the body of the car. I laugh everytime I see a car like that. The wheel diameter itself has nothing to do with camber anyway, its the amount of suspension drop you do. The lower you go, the more negative camber that results. I have the Ingalls front camber kit, which can correct for +3 full degrees of camber. That should be enough for a completly slammed car. I am dropped about 2" in the front, I needed about +1.25 degrees for factory spec camber. By the way, if you need more camber correction than that, you will need to modify the front wheel well where the upper controll arm rides into. The control arm will hit the wheel well if you bring it out any more to correct more than about +1.5 degree with the ingalls kit. A 16" or 17" wheel is perfect for our cars IMO, and a 2" drop sets that off nicely, while still being very streetable, and very good handling.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

widebodiedDec-11-02 02:59 PM
2257 posts,
#13858, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 22

>>>>>The ride will suck, driving will suck, and bumps will suck. IMO, >>>>>it will look like shit.

how would you know?? you run 19s? dont think so.....<<<<< not bragging or nothing, but i proably could hang right with you threw curves if not out handle you being that im off air, on the sustecs, handling on these are alot better then when i was running my 17s.

>>>>>The wheel will just look way to big for the body of the car.

huh, we have one of the biggest sportcompact cars out there, theres kids out there putting 19s on ford focus's......

>>>>>>I laugh everytime I see a car like that ...

from the looks sounds of it, you envy every car you see like that

but opinons are like assholes, everybody has one,

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

TeamXtremeRSDec-11-02 03:14 PM
6329 posts,
#13859, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 24

>
>how would you know?? you run 19s? dont think so.....<<<<<
>not bragging or nothing, but i proably could hang right with
>you threw curves if not out handle you being that im off
>air, on the sustecs, handling on these are alot better then
>when i was running my 17s.

By running a 19" wheel, you will have to run a very small tire. If not, you will rub and hit the wheel well. How is that good for handling?? Please tell me this. IF that was the case, then why doesnt every sport compact run 19's? Why do most racers use a small than 19" wheel? I sure dont see many auto-X guys running 19's. If you got bags, then you will be up in the air while "sport" driving, or you will have rubbing issues. The very thin tire, the big ass wheel, and the bags, gives you one hell of a ride. Luckily, the bags will dampen the effect of such a big wheel. Oh, i take up the road course with ya anyday
>
>
>huh, we have one of the biggest sportcompact cars out there,
>theres kids out there putting 19s on ford focus's......

Hehe, exactly what i mean. It looks fuckin terrible hahah. Buts thats my asshole.
>
>
>from the looks sounds of it, you envy every car you see like
>that
>

Not by a longshot. Most guys who go with such as big ass wheel on a small sport compact, want the bling bling factor. Please tell me your 19's arent chrome?? If you want bling, then thats fine. Its not my cup of tea. Thats why i laugh. It even funnier when they try and race you. Then they really do get to see my asshole

Just do what you like, thats what you will do regardless anyway. Just dont tell people here that you will have better handling and ride with 19's.

>

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

widebodiedDec-11-02 03:31 PM
2257 posts,
#13860, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 25

>>>>>>Most guys who go with such as big ass wheel on a small sport compact, want the bling bling factor.

doesnt pertain, but what about all the supras, vettes, and other rwd sports cars running 19s in the rear, run tell them that

>>>>>>>Please tell me your 19's arent chrome??

nope my 19s arent chrome, just like the big wheel, not really the bling bling, kmc suicides

>>>>>>>If you want bling, then thats fine.

car already blings, not because of the wheels tho

>>>>>>>Thats why i laugh.

what if they laughed and and shook there head at your polished valve cover.... but who cares its what you likee, and btw, looks nice

>>>>>>>It even funnier when they try and race you.

exspecially when they hand you your ass

>>>>>Then they really do get to see my asshole

come on now, no nudity pertains

>>>>>>Just do what you like, thats what you will do regardless anyway. Just dont tell people here that you will have better handling and ride with 19's.

and i never said youll have better handling. nor has my comments initiated bigger wheels = better handlin

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

TeamXtremeRSDec-11-02 03:53 PM
6329 posts,
#13861, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 26

>
>doesnt pertain, but what about all the supras, vettes, and
>other rwd sports cars running 19s in the rear, run tell them
>that
>

What size tire you run on your 19's? I'd be willing to bet its not the same size as the vette's or supra's, or whatever car comes with that size wheel. Those cars are designed to run that wheel, with that suspension, and the proper tire size. I know for a fact that the tire width on a 19" vette wheel is pretty wide. You have to be running a pretty narrow tire for sure.

>
>nope my 19s arent chrome, just like the big wheel, not
>really the bling bling, kmc suicides

Thats good to hear.
>
>
>car already blings, not because of the wheels tho

Thats also good to hear.
>
>
>what if they laughed and and shook there head at your
>polished valve cover.... but who cares its what you likee,
>and btw, looks nice

Well most dont see that, did that for my own liking and viewing. Oh, its painted mealic silver btw. It looks alright i guess. Thanks.
>
>>>>>>>>It even funnier when they try and race you.
>
>exspecially when they hand you your ass

Havent had that pleasure yet from any import. Cant wait
>
>
>
>and i never said youll have better handling. nor has my
>comments initiated bigger wheels = better handlin

Oh, my bad. Sounds like what you were saying was that your current setup gives you better handling over smaller wheels. Well I just recently switched my 17's out for my stock 14's wheels and tires,for the winter driving, and the ride is much better, steers better, and def takes off quicker. Corners feels about the same, just a bit worse. For the record, tire WIDTH has the most effect on handling, from a racing standpoint, as far as cornering and stability goes. The lower the profile the tire is, the rougher the ride. To effectivly run a 19" wheel, your tire size will not be the proper one, because if it is, then you will rub, ESP on a dropped car. There just isnt enough room in the front wheel well to accomodate the proper tire width with a 19" wheel. Thats why you need to run a thinner, skinnier tire. That ISNT good for sport driving handling. How bout getting some pics up here of your car though? I'd like to see them, as many others. Looks like you have a lot done to it.
>
>

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

widebodiedDec-11-02 04:25 PM
2257 posts,
#13862, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 27

tire size is a 225 on the front and a 265 on the rear, you forgot, im widebody

the width of the rear rim is 9 while the front is a 8
35 series tires fyi

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

Amish_EclipseDec-13-02 05:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13863, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 28

>Each particualar car has different camber and alignment
>specs. "perfect" camber doesnt mean the tire contact patch
>is even with the road. Most cars, esp multi-link independant
>suspensions need some negative camber for proper handling.
>Having 0 degree camber means the tire is completely flat
>against the ground. Most cars dont want 0 degrees, esp in
>the rear of the car. You would loose controll around a heavy
>turn, with speed, pretty quick. Our stock camber specs call
>for around -1.5 degree average for the rear tires. For the
>fronts, anywhere from +.5 to .5 degree is ok. Why on earth
>do you want 19" wheels anyway?? The ride will suck, driving
>will suck, and bumps will suck. IMO, it will look like shit.
>The wheel will just look way to big for the body of the car.
>I laugh everytime I see a car like that. The wheel diameter
>itself has nothing to do with camber anyway, its the amount
>of suspension drop you do. The lower you go, the more
>negative camber that results. I have the Ingalls front
>camber kit, which can correct for +3 full degrees of camber.
>That should be enough for a completly slammed car. I am
>dropped about 2" in the front, I needed about +1.25 degrees
>for factory spec camber. By the way, if you need more camber
>correction than that, you will need to modify the front
>wheel well where the upper controll arm rides into. The
>control arm will hit the wheel well if you bring it out any
>more to correct more than about +1.5 degree with the ingalls
>kit. A 16" or 17" wheel is perfect for our cars IMO, and a
>2" drop sets that off nicely, while still being very
>streetable, and very good handling.

which was exactly my point. with far less words but thank you for taking up my battle

>bro, thats nice, make your living selling tires oor
>installin em, thats all you, i could care less what it says
>on paper, and i could care less what your "trained mechanics
>tell you"
>
>you might "know what your saying" but theres a difference
>between what your saying and what im saying, your saying
>what is heard.... or what is theroized
>
>im speaking from DIRECT HANDS ON experience, so whos
>information will be more factual???................
>
>and for the record, ive had several suspensions systems,
>including Tanabe Sustecs Full coilovers, springs, camber
>kits, swaybars, slip on coil-overs and air, which im
>currently running air now, 16s,17s,18s,19s inch rims,ive had
>it all so yes, in particular, i know the dsm suspension
>quite well wouldnt ya think, ive been been in this game
>since i was 16, so yes i do have hands on knowledge under my
>belt, not hearsay......
>
>btw, if your so trained in this and that, you should be able
>to tell when a car is out of camber by eye if its more than
>5 degrees off, which most are

you can tell when a car is far out of camber yes but to tell correct camber is not possible. and no a car is hardly ever 5 degrees out of camber. most cars are only adjustable from 1.5 to a negative value which is about equal. maybe you mean 0.5 degrees

>tire size is a 225 on the front and a 265 on the rear, you
>forgot, im widebody
>
>the width of the rear rim is 9 while the front is a 8
>35 series tires fyi

ok a stock corvette with 18's runs something like 245 45 18 on the front and 265 45 18 on the rear. not exactly sure since i didn't look it up. plus sizing to a 19 would make the rear 275 35 19. but i'm sure you could fit wider wheels in the back of a vette. the store i work for sponsors a local racer. runs a blue vette in auto cross comps. always has me install heat treated hoosiers from tire rack on his 18x12 fikse's. so does one of his friends with a TT rx-7 with the same setup also autox's.

newer vette's are a bix! they have those radio air pressure sensors by the valve stem. such a pain in the ass tryin to get a good grip on these stiff as hell tires without sliding the prybar into the sensor

which brings me to my second point. i wasn't trained how to sell tires. i install and balance tires. i install shocks/struts and diagnose various other problems. that's what my training was on.

MCubed45Dec-12-02 12:12 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#13864, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 27

> How bout getting some pics up here of your car though?
> I'd like to see them, as many others. Looks like you
> have a lot done to it.

hehe yea no kidding! widebodied, i didn't even read your sig while i reading this little debate until now... damn i really wanna see your ride! especially with that targa top conversion and everything... sweet...

oh yea lotsa great info, all of you!

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Black Chrome Matrix Type X CAI
A'pexi N1 Catback Turbo Exhaust
Viper 500esp
Indiglo Gauges
Clear Bumper Lenses
Hiper White Bulbs
Hanabi 9000k HID Kit
Interior Blue LED/Neon Lighting w/ Music Interface
SPAL Deluxe Power Window Kit
Power Trunk Release Kit

In The Mail: }>
Nakayam GT-5 Silver 17x7 rims
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (215/45/17)
Dual Piston Calipers
AEM AWD Big Brake Upgrade
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Metal Master Brake Pads

-marc

2hot97GSDec-12-02 06:41 AM
Member since Aug 18th 2002
413 posts,
#13865, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"

>
>i dont care what is said in this thread, im running 19 INCH
>WHEELS not 16s, not 17s, not 18s, BUT 19sIm also on air

isnt that combo mad shitty for a launch? just wondering

Travis
Blue 93 Talon AWD
Best Time 11.9 w/ 104 octane
-Objects in mirror are getting thier asses kicked-

widebodiedDec-12-02 07:28 AM
2257 posts,
#13866, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 30

>
>>
>>i dont care what is said in this thread, im running 19 INCH
>>WHEELS not 16s, not 17s, not 18s, BUT 19sIm also on air
>
>isnt that combo mad shitty for a launch? just wondering

ON A roll start its aite, on a launch, thats not to smart to launch on 19s and air. i run 17s if i wanna get down and dirty

Dwayne H
A.K.A D-low

dfreshDec-13-02 09:03 PM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
#13867, "RE: I need help.......thinking about getting 19's"
In response to Reply # 31

Never did i think that my little question would end up like this. As far as the 19's go, I will not race with them, Im looking for some stock 5 spoke for that. I just dont like the fact that my wheels are looking shitty. The wheels im tring to get are Konig Blatents with the black opel finish. No I dont take curves real fast, Im accutly a really law obaying person. I think everyone in there right mind wouldn't race with 19's due to the size and weight of the wheel. I just want a wheel bigger than my 18's because they are fucked and are starting to look small to me. The 19's would be a bling bling thing but when it comes down to it I would just jack the car up and swap out the blingers for the racers. Takes like no time to do. I think I have all the info that anyone would need for this so there is no use posting anything else about this topic. Might as well put this in the things we have seen before because of all the info.

Probs to everyone for the help but major props to widebody because he has experience in this field.
If im not mistaken widebody has posted his car before...might be wrong.

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13834 Previous topic | Next topic