Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13763
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Nov-29-02 03:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13763, "Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"

Just got an alignment after getting my new rims and dropping the coilovers a bit more. The fronts are -1 and -1.5 degrees. Do I need a front camber kit or will it be not too bad wear?

The rears are -2.5 and -3 degrees. You think I need to add the $15 washers to fix the rear camber? Again, I'm very lazy and don't really want to touch my car anymore, so I'd rather avoid getting it if I didn't really need it.

Discount Tire said they could install front camber kit for 100 parts and labor using Specialty Products Company's front camber kits (20 bucks a side for the part).

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, dfresh, Nov-29-02 04:42 PM, #1
RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, Teameclipse804, Nov-29-02 06:02 PM, #2
      RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, vegasdsmr, Nov-29-02 07:11 PM, #3
           RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, 9D9 MITSU RS, Nov-29-02 07:15 PM, #4
                RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, 420aVenger, Nov-30-02 01:38 PM, #5
                     RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, Teameclipse804, Nov-30-02 02:10 PM, #6
                     RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, vegasdsmr, Nov-30-02 02:43 PM, #7
                     RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, 510eclipse, Nov-30-02 02:56 PM, #8
RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, TeamXtremeRS, Nov-30-02 04:22 PM, #9
RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, HiOnPSI, Nov-30-02 05:44 PM, #10
      RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, Teameclipse804, Nov-30-02 10:18 PM, #11
           RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, fasterGS, Dec-01-02 12:59 AM, #12
                RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, mrlocalpimp, Dec-01-02 03:44 PM, #13
                     RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, The1Bill, Dec-02-02 01:43 AM, #14
                          RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, SonicYan, Dec-02-02 03:46 AM, #15
                               RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, Teameclipse804, Dec-02-02 10:51 AM, #16
                                    RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, SonicYan, Dec-02-02 01:39 PM, #17
                                         RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear, Teameclipse804, Dec-02-02 06:37 PM, #18

dfreshNov-29-02 04:42 PM
Member since Aug 20th 2002
551 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13764, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 0

The front might be fine but the back will surely need the camber fixed. If not then get used to buying tires on a regular basis. It doesn't take a big drop in the back to screw up the camber a good bit so just get the back fixed if anything. Im not sure but you might even have to get the car aligned again. remember I said might.

dfresh

will post more pics when front is painted

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Nov-29-02 06:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#13765, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 1

Correction: it's -1.7 in front, not -1.5. Are you sure about the rears being more important? I've heard the front camber is more important because you are turning with those wheels, and the weight of the engine/tranny also wears em out faster?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

vegasdsmrNov-29-02 07:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#13766, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 2

front is within spec, i think... my fronts are -2.4 and -2.3, i dunno what my rear are, but i have no abnormal wear on the fronts, just make sure that your "toe" is zeroed out...

i wud hookup the 15dolla rear mod, and call it a day

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

9D9 MITSU RSNov-29-02 07:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#13767, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 3

my front has never been bad. I had about -2 degrees in the rear b4 and I went thru the tires. You definetely need to do something for the rear.

420aVengerNov-30-02 01:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#13768, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 4

I had -1.7 in the front and the guy at Goodyear said it was w/ in spec. Three months later the inside of my tire was showing wire. Oh and they were brand new tires when I got the alignment.

Teameclipse804Nov-30-02 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#13769, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 5

The fronts between 0 and -1 are in spec, and rears up to -2 are in spec. It seems like everyone is telling me different different things. Maybe I will just do the rears since it's cheap and pretty simple to do right? How long will it take to do myself?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

vegasdsmrNov-30-02 02:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#13770, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 6

welp, afer she is up in the air, and u got the wheels off, shouldnt take more than 10 minutes a side, unless u have a problem w/the washers fallin on u......

good luck

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

510eclipseNov-30-02 02:56 PM
Member since May 12th 2002
424 posts,
#13771, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 5

>I had -1.7 in the front and the guy at Goodyear said it was
>w/ in spec. Three months later the inside of my tire was
>showing wire. Oh and they were brand new tires when I got
>the alignment.

well you see, even though your car might be close to within spec as far as all alignment conditions go, you can still often times experience a greatly increased amount of odd tire wear. this is do to the fact that with your lowered springs, you have less travel with an increased spring rate. this makes it so every bump you go over, every change in shock position, your car's weight is putting more pressure down onto the tire than with a gigantic lower rate stock spring. i might have confused some things but i think you know what i mean, word.

TeamXtremeRSNov-30-02 04:22 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#13772, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 0

You really need kits on both front and rear, for proper camber. Although the fronts may not show an extreme amount of tire wear, it can be better with a kit. You are right about stock specs. Front camber specs are around 0 to -1 degree. Rear stock camber specs call for around -.5 to around -1.5, or -1.75 max

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

HiOnPSINov-30-02 05:44 PM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#13773, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah, i'd probably do a nice camber adjustment, or you'll end up like me...(see Another victim of rear camber...) and look at my tires. That took less than 3 months.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS

14.21@101mph 10/4/02

MODS: 8.8:1 JE Pistons / Eagle rods / Stage 1 Hahn turbocharger / Melling Oil Pump / Autometer 5" tach / 4 JL 12" W0 subwoofers / Clarion 230w amp / short shifter mod / GReddy EVO exhaust / custom 2 1/2" downpipe / no cat con / CM Stage 1 / 30lb Mustang injectors / TurboXS MBC / 1G SMIC / Eibach Sportline springs / KYB GR-2 struts / GReddy 52mm EGT / A'PEXi Super AFC

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS | 2001 Lexus IS300
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

Teameclipse804Nov-30-02 10:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#13774, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 10

Hey guys, I have another problem I just realized. I have a lifetime alignment policy, but if I make changes such as a camber kit and they don't install it, then it supposedly voids the policy. So now I'm debating. Should I pay a shop probably 50 bucks or so to install the rear camber kit, or just leave my camber the way it is and hope the rear tires don't wear out too much. -3 and -2.5 sound pretty bad...does anyone else have such specs, and if so, how long did your tires last (I have 215/45/17)

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

fasterGSDec-01-02 12:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13775, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 11

I would guess my rear wheels were about the same specs as you(h&r race sprigns, 2" drop). I did the 15 dollar camber mod and 3 months later my rear tires hardly showed wear. The front to the eye looked ok, so I didn't worry about it. In that same three months my front tires ended up bald on the inside. I would do something on both if I were you, unless you like buying tires.

mrlocalpimpDec-01-02 03:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
#13776, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 12

Theres alot of info under "another victim of camber-----"

You will have to buy new tires frequtnly if you dont get it fixed.

Ive been buying tires for my 16" every 3-4 months. I just fixed the camber last weekend witht he $15 mod. Im re-doing it this weekend with longer bolts and more washers to fix it even more, and will be looking into what I need to do it on the front for a slight correction. But yes, get something done, because even the smallest off cambers will kill your tires and kill them fast. If you cant afford a kit, as I cant, look into the $15 camber mod on the 2gnt.com mods page. Adjust like I am if you want to fix more than just a degree or so.

I got banned for being a constant tard.

The1BillDec-02-02 01:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#13777, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 13

Another issue of alignment that is often overlooked when a car is lowered is toe. Our cars toe in when lowered, and this will scrub the tread off of a tyre like nobody's business. Toe in + extremenegative camber = hurtin' tyres...

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

SonicYanDec-02-02 03:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#13778, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 14

Hey Marcus, I suggest getting a camber kit for both the front and the rear. Just wanted to update u about my tires too. The rears are doing fine and within spec but the right front is what had a little more wear inside. I think my fronts are off by -0.6 to -0.3 from spec. My tires have 10K miles already on it though, not sure how many miles lowered, they still look fine, except for that front passenger tire. I might shift to prokits since my front camber kit only corrects at least a degree, which is good enough for prokits.

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Teameclipse804Dec-02-02 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#13779, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 15

Since I have cheap Kuhmo tires, I decided the fronts aren't worth it. My tires I can probably get for maybe 160 installed for the pair, so I'd rather buy another set of tires 10-15k miles later than get a front camber kit to save those tires. The way I drive, my tires never lasted more than 20k anyways even when I wasn't lowered. The alignment I just got a couple days ago has the toe set perfectly on all four now, so it's just the camber that is off. Will installing the rear camber kit really mess up my toe? If I need to get another alignment, then I'll probably wait a few months before installing the rear camber mod, and then get an alignment. Thanks for the advice guys.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

SonicYanDec-02-02 01:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#13780, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 16

Wow, 160 for a front pair? Where's this at? Hopefully u cud hook me up too when I nid to get some new ones too. Thanks.

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Teameclipse804Dec-02-02 06:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#13781, "RE: Do I need camber kit? -1.5 front, -3 rear"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah the Kuhmo 711's I have now are pretty cheap, like 70 a tire. Probably 80 at local tire shops, plus 10 bucks mounting and balancing, would bring it to 180 actually. I paid 350 for all 4 Kuhmo 712 Z-rated last time, which is a lil under 180 a pair. That was for 16's though. But since the retail price of 711's in 17" is about same as retail of 712's in 16", it should be about the same price. I can let you know where to get it if you need em...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13763 Previous topic | Next topic