Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13622
View in linear mode

Subject: ""creaking" noise?????" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-22-02 05:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13622, ""creaking" noise?????"

Today I stop to get a coffee and hear a slight "creak" as I turn into the lot. Then as I go over a speed bump, I hear a LOUD creaking noise.
At a stop if I turn the wheel left or right I can hear it too.
Just started doing it today.
Anyone got any ideas what it may be? I'm gonna jack the biznatch up tomorrow and see if anything is loose.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
turboclipz on AIM

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: "creaking" noise?????, SILVERNT, Nov-22-02 05:53 PM, #1
RE: "creaking" noise?????, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-22-02 05:57 PM, #2
      RE: "creaking" noise?????, Kory, Nov-22-02 06:02 PM, #3
           RE: "creaking" noise?????, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-12-02 06:38 AM, #4
                RE: "creaking" noise?????, 9D9 MITSU RS, Dec-12-02 02:19 PM, #5
                     RE: "creaking" noise?????, mrlocalpimp, Dec-12-02 03:05 PM, #6
                          RE: "creaking" noise?????, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-13-02 04:52 AM, #7
                               RE: "creaking" noise?????, Amish_Eclipse, Dec-13-02 06:18 AM, #8
                                    RE: "creaking" noise?????, The1Bill, Dec-13-02 12:24 PM, #9
                                         RE: "creaking" noise?????, FnNitWit81, Dec-13-02 01:33 PM, #10
                                              RE: "creaking" noise?????, ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-13-02 06:56 PM, #11
                                                   RE: "creaking" noise?????, FnNitWit81, Dec-14-02 05:00 AM, #12

SILVERNTNov-22-02 05:53 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13623, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 0

i used to have a creak the first week i had my car, but i just forgot about it till now, i guess it went away, i havent heard it since.
later
chris

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-22-02 05:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#13624, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah I'm hoping it's nuthin. I'll jack it up and give the wheel a shake and pump some grease into the joints to see if they leak.
The one thing I hate about owning a DSM is every little new noise makes me worry.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net
turboclipz on AIM

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

KoryNov-22-02 06:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#13625, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 2

cv boots

96RS ~ full 99GS Special Edit. body conversion, aem cai, greddy header, afx pulley, B&M SS, magecores & NGKs, A/F and Volt guages, Sparco Torino Seat, illuminas, prokits, ingalls camber, gunmetal GS rims, ST Sways, STBs, lower rear tie bar, Sony Xplode head, Xplode 10 disk, Boston Components, 2 Kenwood amps, 12" MTX sub, a shit load more.

97GSX ~ 18psi~ Ported/Clipped 15 degrees Frank 2 w/46trim, Ported Exh. housing, Tial 40mm External Wastegate with discharge tube, Ported O2 housing, 3" downpipe, 3" Straight Pipe, Apex N1, fake cat, K&N FIPK, Greddy IC Piping, Type S bov, S-AFC, Profec B, Greddy TT, Slimline Fan, RRE Catch Can, Greddy Big FMIC, ND 660s, Walboro 190lph, ACT 2600 w/street disk, clutch SS line, lighten flywheel, removed cruise control line, Greddy EGT, Coolant, Boost Gauges, motor mount inserts, Magnecor & plugs, greddy oil cap, greddy radiator cap, AEM big brake upgrade w/MM pads, MOMO Race steering wheel, Ground Controls Coilovers, Koni Yellows, Ingalls Camber Kit, F&R STBs and free mods. To all the haters _|_ tia

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-12-02 06:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#13626, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 3

I noticed today that it doesn't do it anymore.... *shrugs

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net
turboclipz on AIM

9D9 MITSU RSDec-12-02 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#13627, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 4

I have a creaking sound now. Thought it was rear driver side. I rolled down the window. Front. I only heard it on rough places or bumps and stuff. The front bumper bolt to the fender was loose. They mounted my bumper all eff'd up, so I am having it redone when the new shop calls me to bring the car in. Check your bumpers, or are u sure it's suspension or something?

mrlocalpimpDec-12-02 03:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
#13628, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 5

I get creaking now and then. Finally figured it out, its the.... knuckle arm? I think thats what its called. The rotating joint thing right above the tire. Ive had it on both rears. Sometimes after it rains, or now that its winter with metal shrinking and all its started again. Jacked car up and sprayed wd-40 all over it, creaking goes away. Comes back eventually, but its not hard to spray more oil.

I got banned for being a constant tard.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-13-02 04:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#13629, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah, it was def. suspension related. When I'd go over bumps slowly it would make noise. It would also make noise if the car was parked and I turned the wheel all the way in either direction. But it's gone (for now) so I'll worry about it again when it comes back.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net
turboclipz on AIM

Amish_EclipseDec-13-02 06:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#13630, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 7

maybe you need a shot of grease. hard to tell by the description. if it's wet out or cold in your area this could also be attributed to that. doesn't seem to major so i wouldn't worry much.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

The1BillDec-13-02 12:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#13631, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 8

We have sealed chassis componants, which means that if it is a ball joint creaking, then the joint (which is usually hard mounted to an arm) needs to be replaced. They cannot be regreased without disassembly and tapping for a grease fitting, which just isn't worth it.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

FnNitWit81Dec-13-02 01:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1861 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13632, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 9

The creaking noise you hear is all most for certain the lower balljoint. Not the lateral arm but the wishbone one. I have a 97 gs and there are two lower balljoints on our cars along with the 98 and 99 I believe. One is straight it's called the lateral arm, this is the recalled part. The other balljoint looks like a wishbone and it's connected to the underbody of the car. I had a creaking noise on the drivers side, i would hear it when i take off and when i turn the wheel sitting still. I put on a new wishbone balljoint thingy and no more noises....Good luck let us know how it goes.

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-13-02 06:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#13633, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 10

that really isn't what I needed to hear right before I drive this bitch to Florida. hehe.
It's not making any noise now so it can't be too far gone. I'll replace it when I get back or maybe while I'm down there if I get bored chillin with the folks.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net
turboclipz on AIM

FnNitWit81Dec-14-02 05:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1861 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13634, "RE: "creaking" noise?????"
In response to Reply # 11

Check it out before you go. To do this just jack the car up high enough for you to get underneath take the tire off it's easier, get underneath and grab the wishbone looking balljoint arm and push up and down to see if it wiggles. If you have any play in them at all then i would change them before you go. When I changed mine mitsu changed the lateral arm and said I was going to have to replace the other ball joint myself cause it's not covered on the recall. The cheapest I found was at Riverside Mitsu...I think 180$ or mabey it was 280 don't remember.. that is just the part price it's very easy for you to install it yourself....

Goodluck

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #13622 Previous topic | Next topic