Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12580
View in linear mode

Subject: "? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please" Previous topic | Next topic
vegasdsmrOct-07-02 11:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12580, "? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"

so im sittin here at the end of my work day, not wanting to go to my class ( i have a test tonight )

anyways... i know that when my suspension is complete, i want my rear end to be stiffer than a male virgin at a stripclub...

my ? is this.. instead of using a strut/spring combo in the rear, is it feasible to waste time creating a solid suspension for our rear end..

im talkin like a pipe where the strut would be, and thats it...

i don't know much about suspension, but in my quest for better launches, and the stiff rear... i have been debating this..

please post w/insight to the rear suspension, and how stiff i can make it..

i know i dont want the rear bouncin off the ground when i go over bumps, and i dont mind if the ride is harsh...

tia

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, eclipsekaiser, Oct-07-02 02:28 PM, #1
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, 1TuffRS, Oct-07-02 03:13 PM, #2
      RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, Fast420A, Oct-09-02 04:06 AM, #3
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, gzrs99, Oct-09-02 05:42 AM, #4
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, vegasdsmr, Oct-09-02 09:29 AM, #5
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-10-02 02:11 AM, #6
RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, TeamMichael_97RS, Oct-10-02 04:35 AM, #7
      RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please, Stickman, Oct-10-02 11:37 AM, #8

eclipsekaiserOct-07-02 02:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12581, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 0

If I'm hearing it correctly, I think too stiff of a ride is also bad on the frame. Struts are made to absorb shock energy otherwise absorbed by your body.

I think finding a good combination of spring and strut rate is important if you want to consider maximum stiffness

I say seek you efforts in the direction such as Progress or Teins coilovers as they manufacture racing products for street use. They are stiff as fu#k on a supra that a friend of mine own (Teins).

Hope this is somewhat insightful.

-K-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSOct-07-02 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#12582, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 1

if you were to do that, you would basically have no rear suspension. I would advise against doing that if you plan on keeping the car a daily driven machine (and as pretty as it is it should stay that way). On top of that, the car would be great in a straight line, but what happens when you want to turn? It would be awful. If you were to trailer you car to and from the track and only have that set up on the car for the track, it might be feasible

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Fast420AOct-09-02 04:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#12583, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 2

You would have the rear end bouncing all around if you did that. I would look into a real coilover setup like a tanabe or something similar.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - unknown
Project: Baby on the way

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

gzrs99Oct-09-02 05:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
#12584, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 0

WHat are your plans ? Is daily driver/drag use only ???
how able an alternative Why not consider using Adjustable shocks you can set it stiff as possible then set them for daily driver. Theres and article under DSM.org check turning harder it will list of adj shocks for you to choose..

vegasdsmrOct-09-02 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#12585, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 4

welp, my clipse is my daily for now... my goal is to have a 350whp beast that can get on the highway already doin 100

i can do that now at about 70-75....

also, my launches are gettin hurt reeeeealy bad since i still have the stock struts, and im dropped a good 3 inches...

i will be purchasing kyb adjustables soon, and i was just lookin into my options with the idea i had...

maybe if i could desing sumthin for trak use only, and swap out the rear suspension when i run her, but i dunno..

i appreciate all the feedback and suggestions

vtecPOWA

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-10-02 02:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#12586, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 0

i currently ride on Avenger rear springs, which are slightly longer and beefier than our stockers, and AGX rear struts adjusted to 8. My rear suspension does not squat a noticable amount, and my launches have improved.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamMichael_97RSOct-10-02 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#12587, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 6

I do not recomment this set up for even track use. There is nothign holding your tire to ground. Shocks not only absorb shock to the car, but the spring shock combo keeps the tires in contact with the ground. As the weight of the car is going up the springs push the tire back down making contact with the road. No springs and shock, no contact the tires move up with the car.

This could be very dangerous if you are turning at all, we all know launching and shifting can get the front tires happy. Imagine the front end slide a bit you steer to correct at the same time you hit a bump, nothing is holding your tires down, when you make contact with the pavement you are going to be in the middle of a fishtail.

I suggest a good set of stiff springs and shocks.

Una salus victus.
He will triumph, who knows when to fight, and when not to fight. - Sun Tzu

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All motor in the making.

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

StickmanOct-10-02 11:37 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
151 posts,
#12588, "RE: ? on rear strut idea... helpful comments only please"
In response to Reply # 7

Alright Sean I'll explain it a little bit easier for you.Remeber that little red wagon you had when you were little.And you would sit in it and go down the hill,but when you got to the bottom you would try to turn and either get up on three wheels or flip(everyone's done it).It would be the same concept with a car.I think the best way to go would be getting adjustable shocks and turning them all the way to hard in the rear before you went to the track.Then you could adjust them for daily driving and the road back to your house(Eastern sucks when you're lowered)Any more Q's just call me on my cell after you get done with school..

Late

~Blake

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12580 Previous topic | Next topic