Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12408
View in linear mode

Subject: "alignment question" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSSep-27-02 03:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12408, "alignment question"

I just installed my new steering wheel. I couldn't get it to sit 100% straight while the wheels are str8 no matter how I removed and reinstalled it. Will an alignment fix this to get my tires straight when the wheel is straight? Or will it just make it worse?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Sep-28-02 02:45 PM, #1
RE: alignment question, randy, Sep-28-02 03:39 PM, #2
      RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Sep-30-02 11:58 AM, #3
           RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Sep-30-02 02:35 PM, #4
                RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Sep-30-02 11:59 PM, #5
                     RE: alignment question, mkerley, Oct-01-02 12:09 AM, #6
                          RE: alignment question, iamnotwhoiam, Oct-01-02 03:31 AM, #7
                               RE: alignment question, Amish_Eclipse, Oct-01-02 04:22 AM, #8
                                    RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-01-02 11:06 AM, #9
                                         RE: alignment question, iamnotwhoiam, Oct-02-02 12:19 AM, #10
                                              RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-02-02 04:11 AM, #11
                                                   RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-02-02 12:29 PM, #12
                                                        RE: alignment question, mkerley, Oct-02-02 12:56 PM, #13
                                                             RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-02-02 01:57 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: alignment question, mkerley, Oct-03-02 12:40 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: alignment question, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-03-02 11:55 AM, #16

9D9 MITSU RSSep-28-02 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12409, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 0

anyone know?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

randySep-28-02 03:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
662 posts,
#12410, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 1

Was your steering straight before you install the new one? Keep trying do one notch at a time.

96 RST: Star Performance stag
05 scion xb: bolt ons
92 nissan 240sx
07 toyota sienna

9D9 MITSU RSSep-30-02 11:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12411, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 2

no

9D9 MITSU RSSep-30-02 02:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12412, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 3

I tried 1 notch at a time. It was either barely left or barely right. I went barely left b/c it is more comfortable the way I drive and looked a little straighter. After an alignment, I am afraid it'll probably go way left. Last alignment, they fucked it. The car went str8 as hell with no hands, but the wheel sat wrong. I wasn't gonna go back and be picky, b/c my car was lined up and the wheel was barely off. Now it's old and on my nerves. Can they straighten this out or will I probably have to remove the wheel and turn it after an alignment?

9D9 MITSU RSSep-30-02 11:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12413, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 4

does anyone know if getting an alignment can straighten your wheels and the steering wheel? For some reason the car started pulling towards the right when it's straight. The wheel has to be pulled to the left some when I am going straight now. I had the steering wheel straight.

mkerleyOct-01-02 12:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#12414, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 5

They should be able to fix it in alignment.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

iamnotwhoiamOct-01-02 03:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#12415, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah i had heard that some places would be able to fix your steering wheel along with your wheels when getting an alignment done.. just be sure to ask about it.. for the basic alignment it will fix your wheels and they will not go off what the steering wheel says, but what the sensors that are attatched to the wheels say.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Amish_EclipseOct-01-02 04:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#12416, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 7

yes an alignment would straigten your steering wheel depending on the shop. sears owned stores are supposed to do it for you and most shops will set it back to normal for you.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

9D9 MITSU RSOct-01-02 11:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12417, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 8

that's cool. I will ask. If they say no, I won't be paying. Also, is $90 too much for a front alignment?

iamnotwhoiamOct-02-02 12:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#12418, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 9

that seems a little high, but may be alright. and for that price i would think they would do the whole car (4 wheel alignment) and not just the front.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

9D9 MITSU RSOct-02-02 04:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12419, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 10

it's been a while. 90 may have been all around. Not sure. I had my RRE camber kit for the rear done, so yeah, I think it was like 115 for all around + camber kit install.

9D9 MITSU RSOct-02-02 12:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12420, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 11

so, if they set it back straight, the car will not pull straight? Can I have it go straight, and have the wheel straight without taking the wheel back off and all, or is it one or the other? I'm getting tired and ready to sell the wheel. Not worth the hassle. I want my wheel straight, and a good alignment.

mkerleyOct-02-02 12:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#12421, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 12

NOt sure from your Q exactly what you're asking, but you won't have to take the wheel off for alignment. I got my front end aligned for $30 and all 4 for $50. Might check around a little to see if you can find a better price. Also, depending on your wheel size, only certain shops can align it. w/ my 18's, there's only 2 places in town here.

anything 17 or less can be aligned just about anywhere.

matt

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

9D9 MITSU RSOct-02-02 01:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12422, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 13

I have 17's. My main concern is the momo steering wheel. It goes a little to the left, and the car veers right. Can they fix both? Make the car aligned, and make the steering wheel straight? Basically, I know they can align my car. Can they straighten my steering wheel?

mkerleyOct-03-02 12:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#12423, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 14

Depending on how far off it is, yes they can. Your best bet is to go to a reputable alignment shop and ask them if they can straighten them both up at once. I don't know what the limit is, but your alignment can only be changed so much. So, like I said, it can be fixed depending on how far out it is. Good luck.

9D9 MITSU RSOct-03-02 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#12424, "RE: alignment question"
In response to Reply # 15

I took it off again today. It's pretty close now. The car barely pulls to the right, and now the wheel sits barely to the right. After I install my illuminas, I'll get it lined up.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12408 Previous topic | Next topic