Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12396
View in linear mode

Subject: "power steering hard as hell" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonSep-27-02 10:36 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12396, "power steering hard as hell"

dunno why, but my power steering is getting to be hard to turn, and you can hear the pump making its eehhhhh sound, loud!!! I'm not low on fluid, I do have 17x7's w/ 225/45's on them but this just started recently, and I have had that wheel/tire combo for a few months now... I wonder what's up?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: power steering hard as hell, Stickman, Sep-27-02 10:54 AM, #1
RE: power steering hard as hell, 95_ESi_Person, Sep-27-02 12:47 PM, #2
      RE: power steering hard as hell, TeamMetalJim, Sep-27-02 09:28 PM, #3
           RE: power steering hard as hell, Creamo3, Sep-28-02 11:27 AM, #4
                RE: power steering hard as hell, MotoFool, Sep-28-02 12:18 PM, #5
                     RE: power steering hard as hell, Amish_Eclipse, Oct-01-02 04:31 AM, #6
                          RE: power steering hard as hell, 95_ESi_Person, Oct-01-02 12:48 PM, #7
                               RE: power steering hard as hell, Teamner947, Oct-01-02 02:09 PM, #8
                                    RE: power steering hard as hell, 95_ESi_Person, Oct-02-02 03:32 AM, #9

StickmanSep-27-02 10:54 AM
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
151 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12397, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

Make sure the belt is tight.

~Blake

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonSep-27-02 12:47 PM
3260 posts,
#12398, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 1

it is

TeamMetalJimSep-27-02 09:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#12399, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 2

Sounds like you need a new power steering pump. They go bad sometimes.

ride__________95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
power________Gude cams : AFX UDP : ram air : test pipe : Thrush glasspack
suspention___BOMZ F/R upper strut bars : ES inserts
sound________Kenwood KDC 5000 : Audiovox 8" sub toob - no sub amp(damnit!)
shizzle_______AutoCommand remote start : dual air horns
incomming___GreenSlime F/R lower strut ties : Jeep TB

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Creamo3Sep-28-02 11:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
227 posts,
#12400, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 3

If I cut my wheel either all the right/left the pump just whines. Don't know what to do, i usually spray the belt and it goes away for alittle bit.

99'Black GS OZ Edition

MotoFoolSep-28-02 12:18 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#12401, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 4

on all power steering if u turn it all the way either way on 99% of vehicles it will whine squeal chirp howl etc dont turn it all the way...

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

Amish_EclipseOct-01-02 04:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#12402, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 5

check your fluid. may be time for a new pump. belt whine isn't supposed to happen.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

95_ESi_PersonOct-01-02 12:48 PM
3260 posts,
#12403, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 6

I think i will wait for it to go out, (need to be sure before i spend money that i don't have much of) p/s fluid is full, my friend and I fired it up tonight, and i turned the wheel, he said it was coming from the pump and it was loud as hell compared to most other ones, kinda mettallic sounding. probably the pump.. is it ok to just "let it go"? Don't say I'm cheap, I don't have a job, and going to school full time won't let me get one.

Teamner947Oct-01-02 02:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#12404, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 7

it's up to you. you should take care of your car, hey, money is money and school (is suppose to, heh...) come first. if you really can't get a new pump, i'd take off the power steering belt so you don't have to live with the awful noise until you can get it repaired. the only time that having no power steering is a pain is on exit/on-ramps, and in parking lots. otherwise, hell, i think it feels cool! especially on the highway. anyways, belt is wicked easy to take off, loosen 3 bolts and the power steering pump will tilt back to the cabin and you're all set.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

95_ESi_PersonOct-02-02 03:32 AM
3260 posts,
#12405, "RE: power steering hard as hell"
In response to Reply # 8

but it still works, just very noisely (mind the not knowing how to spell it). I know I should take care of my car, I love it, but aren't pumps expensive, and if I do get one, would I be able to put it on myself?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12396 Previous topic | Next topic