Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12119
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSSep-13-02 03:31 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12119, "Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."

Ok, this is the second time at the track, and both times now, i have had some really good wheel hop when launching. Now i can launch the car as hard as i can on the street, and absolutly no hop at all..its wierd.. I have the Energy suspension front and rear motor mount inserts, which took care of the wheel hop on the street, but at the track is a diff story. So any one have any ideas? The only thing that i can think of is that its my struts. Now remember, i am dropped about 2" in the front on stock struts. The ride isnt bouncy, but it isnt real stiff either. My only thought is that sice the track is soo sticky, it makes my tires grip, then they loose traction, then the wheel comes up, and starts to bounce because the strut cant keep it on the pavement, thats if my struts are worn i suppose. Do do you guys think that this is the problem? I dont launch it too hard at the track, but pretty good. Any thoughts?

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., BoostedGS, Sep-13-02 05:48 PM, #1
RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., vegasdsmr, Sep-13-02 08:44 PM, #2
      RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-14-02 09:15 PM, #3
           RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-15-02 02:52 AM, #4
           RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-17-02 03:16 AM, #6
           RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..., ObieexESI, Sep-16-02 11:29 AM, #5

BoostedGSSep-13-02 05:48 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12120, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 0

Are you lining up in the groove at the track?? If so, try lining up outside the groove where it's not as sticky. That should give you a little more wheelspin instead of hopping. Practice, practice, practice.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

vegasdsmrSep-13-02 08:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#12121, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 1

ya, its the stickyness of the track that creates the hoppage... happens to me, but u dun wanna spinem at the track

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-14-02 09:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#12122, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 2

>ya, its the stickyness of the track that creates the
>hoppage... happens to me, but u dun wanna spinem at the
>track

Exactly - traction does it. Race tracks are STICKY. On the street, your tires will just spin, but because of the traction compounds used at the track, your tires will actually grab then slip, grab then slip, grab, slip, rinse, repeat, which causes wheelhop. The tires grab and load the whole front suspension up with the torque, then let loose and the whole suspension unloads. make sense?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamXtremeRSSep-15-02 02:52 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#12123, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 3

>
>Exactly - traction does it. Race tracks are STICKY. On the
>street, your tires will just spin, but because of the
>traction compounds used at the track, your tires will
>actually grab then slip, grab then slip, grab, slip, rinse,
>repeat, which causes wheelhop. The tires grab and load the
>whole front suspension up with the torque, then let loose
>and the whole suspension unloads. make sense?

Yeah it makes perfect sense, thats really what i thought was happening, i just didnt know if it was caused because of bad struts not being able to keep the tires to the pavement. So basically, the best way around this is to get out of the ruts at the track, and i suppose launch a bit less hard..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-17-02 03:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#12124, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 4

or launch HARDER.

I've found on really sticky tracks, if i just balls-out launch it from like 5000RPM, i get better 60's letting the tires spin through first than i do trying to feather the gas/throttle so stop the wheelspin. It's totally contrary to what VX100 preaches (no wheelspin, better 60's), but my timeslips show me that it works.. I've pulled low 2.2's just ripping tire out of the hole.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ObieexESISep-16-02 11:29 AM
Member since Apr 03rd 2002
109 posts,
#12125, "RE: Mad wheel hop on track, but none on the street? What gives?..."
In response to Reply # 3

...slip, grab then slip, grab, slip, rinse,
>repeat...
Do I use cold or hot water?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12119 Previous topic | Next topic