Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11741
View in linear mode

Subject: "Attempt at the GSX brake install" Previous topic | Next topic
SemperboostAug-25-02 10:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11741, "Attempt at the GSX brake install"

So I got the calipers, the J-speed rotors and the Napa Ceramix pads and a bottle of synthetic brake fluid. So then I go to the GSX calipers and try to remove the caliper guide bolts from the bracket..no budge even with the impact gun!!..I go to the breaker bar and snap!..I twist the bolt off!..But check this out-not on the threads but on the smooth part. I did that to one of the two bolts on each caliper. Then damn thing was probably rusted shut in the bracket. I strip the other bolts..damit! So I go to the drill press and TRY to drill the SOB out- no success. I'm gonna go tommorrow to a machine shop and see if they can help me out. But I was so frustrated and disapointed today cuz I spent 6 hrs working for nothing - yall know how it is when you think it'll be just a wham. bam, thank-you mam and you get all these problems that lead to other problems. They looked so nice to - the rotors barely clear the dust shield and BTW the lines of the 95-99 GSX are the same as ours. Anyways - Hades, do you still got them brackets if things don't work out?

ALvin

96 RST

http://www.kaptainmyke.com/tir/gallery/SemperBoost
Star Stage I turbo kit /Starion I/C w/ 2" chrome piping / GReddy Type-S BOV / Missing Link / Custom APEXi- GReddy 2.5" exhaust / Nology wires / Dual Gaugepod pillar mount / APEXi EL mech boost gauge / Autometer A/F gauge / Southland Dual Friction clutch / B&M short shifter / Energy Suspension shifter bushings / 16" GSX Rims / Front/ Rear camberkits / Eibach Prokits / Tokico Blues/ Front Upper, Rear Upper/Lower strut bars / Rear GST sway bar
X-drilled rotors / Axxis pads / Stock GS/GST sideskirts /Color-matched center taillight/ door handles/ sideviews
Cleared Headlight turns/PIAA bulbs

Alvin

http://www.cardomain.com/id/96rst

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HadesOmegaAug-25-02 05:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11742, "RE: Attempt at the GSX brake install"
In response to Reply # 0

oh snap you destroyed the threads on the bracket itself?! Those must've been in worse condition than the ones I got O_o Yeh I still got dem dirty ass brackets that came with my calipers. Interesting so the GSX calipers do use banjo fitting eh. Haha man my car just drifts farther and farther away from factory spec...

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SemperboostAug-26-02 12:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#11743, "RE: Attempt at the GSX brake install"
In response to Reply # 1

You think you can sell me those brackets if things don't go thru this week?..There are no threads in the brackets, there are only threads in the calipers - so the actually smooth part of the bolt was rusted so bad that it broke of inside the smooth part of the bracket hole.

ALvin

96 RST

Star Stage I turbo kit /Starion I/C w/ 2" chrome piping / GReddy Type-S BOV / Missing Link / Custom APEXi- GReddy 2.5" exhaust / Nology wires / Dual Gaugepod pillar mount / APEXi EL mech boost gauge / Autometer A/F gauge / Southland Dual Friction clutch / B&M short shifter / Energy Suspension shifter bushings / 16" GSX Rims / Front/ Rear camberkits / Eibach Prokits / Tokico Blues/ Front Upper, Rear Upper/Lower strut bars / Rear GST sway bar
X-drilled rotors / Axxis pads / Stock GS/GST sideskirts /Color-matched center taillight/ door handles/ sideviews

Alvin

CBURNS28Aug-26-02 04:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
19 posts,
#11744, "RE: Attempt at the GSX brake install"
In response to Reply # 0

YOU WON'T REGRET ALL THE WORK!!
YES THE GSX GENERALLY USE THE BANJO FITTINGS WHILE THE 3000GT USES 10MM DIRECT THREADED COUPLINGS. THE BANJOS FROM THE GS WILL WORK IF YOU GET A COUPLE OF BRASS BUSHINGS FROM YOUR LOCAL HARDWARE STORE. THEY WILL MAKE THE STOCK BANJO FIT OK. SO FAR SO GOOD AND MAN DO THE CERAMIC PADS WORK WELL. I CAN'T GET THEM TO FADE AT ALL AND THEY DON'T DUST UP THE WHEELS NEARLY AS MUCH. LIKE I SAID YOU WILL REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE WORK, IT IS WORTH IT. NEXT TO THE FINAL GEAR DRIVE MOD, THIS IS THE BEST MOD TO DATE!

SemperboostAug-27-02 09:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1072 posts,
#11745, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 3

Well the machine shop said I'm better of getting new ones cuz of safety - that's understandable tho, don't want shakey brakes. HadesOmega has some I think..I'll probably get his and hopefully get the thing to work. I hope the braking power at any speed is better. thanks

aLvin

96 RST

Alvin

bedlam32570Aug-27-02 03:07 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#11746, "RE: Update"
In response to Reply # 4

from what i've noticed at work, in the parts listings, the RS and the GSX both have banjo bolts. i am planning on ordering them so that i can get them brand new. what all am i going to need to hook them up

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11741 Previous topic | Next topic