Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10280
View in linear mode

Subject: "options on brake upgrades" Previous topic | Next topic
ecl98pseJun-23-02 04:30 AM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
573 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10280, "options on brake upgrades"

what are some options on brake upgrades? i know there is the Baer, tce/wilwood, and the rear disc conv., but what other choices are there and what is best for turbo n/t

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: options on brake upgrades, fasterGS, Jun-24-02 07:49 AM, #1
RE: options on brake upgrades, pancito, Jun-24-02 07:56 AM, #2
      RE: options on brake upgrades, ecl98pse, Jun-24-02 02:30 PM, #3
           RE: options on brake upgrades, fasterGS, Jun-25-02 06:40 AM, #4
                RE: options on brake upgrades, ecl98pse, Jun-25-02 08:53 AM, #5
                     RE: options on brake upgrades, mcgyvr, Jun-25-02 08:55 AM, #6
                          RE: options on brake upgrades, ecl98pse, Jun-25-02 01:49 PM, #7
                               RE: options on brake upgrades, mcgyvr, Jun-26-02 12:25 AM, #8
                                    RE: options on brake upgrades, HadesOmega, Jun-28-02 04:07 PM, #9
                                         RE: options on brake upgrades, fasterGS, Jun-29-02 10:29 AM, #10
                                              my setup, pn0ymahal, Jun-29-02 04:28 PM, #11
                                                   RE: my setup, fasterGS, Jun-29-02 06:38 PM, #12
                                                   RE: my setup, dmotoguy, Jul-02-02 12:41 PM, #13
                                                   RE: my setup, DeltaOperative, Jul-02-02 01:56 PM, #14
                                                        RE: my setup, The1Bill, Jul-02-02 02:21 PM, #15
                                                             RE: my setup, DeltaOperative, Jul-04-02 03:42 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: my setup, Ichiban, Jul-09-02 05:40 AM, #17

fasterGSJun-24-02 07:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10281, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 0

I would like some info too. I defenetely have some warped rotors so I am weighing my options. How har is it to install calipers/rotors from a gsx??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

pancitoJun-24-02 07:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10282, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 1

as hard to take yours off and install the GSX Rotors again, IF your doing, the Rotors, Pads, and Caliper Switch. the hard part is bleeding the brakes (i'm lazy as hell)

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

ecl98pseJun-24-02 02:30 PM
573 posts,
#10283, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 2

will GSX rotors and calipers bolt up on the front of an RS?

fasterGSJun-25-02 06:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10284, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 3

from the small amount of research I have done there is some sort of mounting plate the calipers bolt onto. But yeah they will bolt on.

ecl98pseJun-25-02 08:53 AM
573 posts,
#10285, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 4

so will the kit that RRE sells work for 2ngt's?

mcgyvrJun-25-02 08:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#10286, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 5

"Fits '95-99 turbo and non-turbo models"
Thats the AEM 2g upgrade kit

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

ecl98pseJun-25-02 01:49 PM
573 posts,
#10287, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 6

which would be a better deal.. Baer or the GSX conv.

mcgyvrJun-26-02 12:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#10288, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 7

Unless I was doing some serious autoxing or all out show car, I would not spend hugh amounts on brake kits, I would just get slotted rotors (brembo etc..) and a nice $50 set of pads. Or get the AEM upgrade kit for $400, its better because of the lightweight hat/rotor. But to me that is still an overkill and expensive.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

HadesOmegaJun-28-02 04:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#10289, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 8

haha well if your turbo you definately wanna get some better brakes. My brakes have been fading often after some runs down mountains. I can feel the brakes turn to mush as the brake fluid boils. Which brings me to another point get good brake fluid.

hehe well I have a box with dual pistons calipers, SS lines, and slotted/drilled rotors, bwahaha if that doesn't cure the fading problem I don't know what will.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

fasterGSJun-29-02 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#10290, "RE: options on brake upgrades"
In response to Reply # 9

so could we put the GSX big brake kit on from AEM? I couldn't imagine why not, just making sure.

pn0ymahalJun-29-02 04:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#10291, "my setup"
In response to Reply # 10

i have the gsx calipers up front, with r4-s pads ss lines and powerslot rotors and its a great brake setup for the price..its alot cheaper then what rre sells it just takes time to look around for the calipers etc... if you did this setup it would be good.. if you got 17in rims or bigger i would put the aem rotors instead of the powerslot, i would have but i only got stock 16ins...

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

fasterGSJun-29-02 06:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
#10292, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 11

Actually I was reading some stuff today and AEM has been having a problem with their rotors cracking? Can anyone confirm that rumor?

dmotoguyJul-02-02 12:41 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2002
64 posts,
#10293, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 12

i just got some 18's and now i can really see how small the stock gs brakes are.... what is the best *show* kit i can get (and still do some pretty hot passes at the track eventually )

~Sacred Imports~
-Boise Idaho-

DeltaOperativeJul-02-02 01:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
220 posts,
#10294, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 11

>i have the gsx calipers up front, with r4-s pads ss lines
>and powerslot rotors and its a great brake setup for the
>price..its alot cheaper then what rre sells it just takes
>time to look around for the calipers etc... if you did this
>setup it would be good.. if you got 17in rims or bigger i
>would put the aem rotors instead of the powerslot, i would
>have but i only got stock 16ins...
>
>
>
>
>Michael 99gs
>HRC Stage 2
>http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast

A few questions for you or anyone who has done the gsx upgrade. Is the master cylinder and brake booster the same from the gs to the gsx as the gsx has a 2 piston caliper?

The1BillJul-02-02 02:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#10295, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 14

The FWDs had a 15/16" MC, and the AWDs had a 1" MC. The FWD MC will have no trouble filling the 2 pistons, though.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

DeltaOperativeJul-04-02 03:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
220 posts,
#10296, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 15

how about the brake booster?

IchibanJul-09-02 05:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
238 posts,
#10297, "RE: my setup"
In response to Reply # 16

I have the AEM Big Brake upgrade for the GSX on my GS. No, it will NOT fit with the stock calipers. The key reason being that stock GS/RS front rotors are something like 10-1/4" in diameter (5-1/8" radius), while the stock GSX front rotors are like 10-1/2" or so (5-1/4" radius). This means that stock, their (GSX) calipers are set farther from the center than ours (GS/RS) are.

The GSX upgrade bracket that moves the stock caliper farther from the center is calibrated as 5-1/4" to the edge of the rotor, not 5-1/8"(which we have). So, the GSX upgrade bracket assumes it only needs to move the caliper 1" to get a 6-1/4" radius from the center to the edge of the rotor (12-1/2" GSX upgrade diameter), when we actually need 1-1/8" of extension to get to a 6-1/4" clear radius.

Basically, it does not move the caliper out far enough to accomodate the larger rotor.

I would still recommend this upgrade, though. I found some GSX calipers on DSMTrader for $150 and bought some steel braided lines from Road Race for $90. I also have the AEM rear upgrade, which has 11-1/2" rotors. Being that the GS front upgrade from AEM is 11-3/4" (only 1/4" larger than rear), I don't feel it's worth the money (it costs the same as the GSX upgrade).

Merlin is right, also. High temp. brake fluid and pads are essential upgrades.

Christian
06 GG IX MR SE
http://www.ichibanracing.com/ is DOWN!! In between hosts.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10280 Previous topic | Next topic