Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10240
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs" Previous topic | Next topic
DocWhiplashJun-19-02 09:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10240, "Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"

Well I had Pro kits and kyb Gr2 shocks put on a few weeks ago and I have a clunking comeing from the back passenger wheel whenever I drive over even the slightest bump. I think it might be doing it from the front passenger wheel too. It's been getting a little worse. I know there was a discussion on this before but i couldnt find it. Just wanted some info on what it is and what I should do to fix it. TIA

95 eclipse RS

14.80 @ 94mph with no turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
96EclipsedJun-19-02 09:43 AM
Member since Jun 17th 2002
1923 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10241, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a 96 RS and I'm getting the clunking as well, but from both rear wheels..car is lowered with correct springs and Tokiko shocks...what I want to know is exactly what is causing the clunking and what to specify when I take it to a shop so I don't get reamed.

weather turning towards a storm broken down road continue on coexistance imitating paradise
unlike any seen moist has been dancing crazy overcast ash grey wording constantly pushing pulling pushes away

sacred? you really are?
m'not scared
then what are you?

drew back a rusty knife guilt ladle pour it on understand i burn inside how to get out of here how do you get out of this natures revenge nature
cage craving wonder the worth of it scream at the top of your lungs so many times tried not to wonder

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSJun-19-02 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#10242, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 1

YOu guys are probably just bottoming out against the bumpstop. I get the clunk sometimes too and that is what I have always thought it was. I have checked and recheked to make sure nothing is loose and it all appears fine. You are going to get more noise when the car is lowered, that is to be expected.

pancitoJun-20-02 03:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#10243, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 2

it is not the bumpstop, some say is where the upper arm assembly connects to the lower arm assembly, my self i can't figure it out sometimes is a little bit quieter, sometimes when i brake hard i hear every little metal in the rear drivers side.

i have notice a rub mark in the strut at the bottom of if, and sometimes in the top where you have the pad it goes out of place.

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

96EclipsedJun-20-02 05:32 AM
Member since Jun 17th 2002
1923 posts,
#10244, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 3

I was doing a search on 96 RS reviews and I came across this site with the following paragraph:

"Rear axle noise: Squeaking, rubbing, knocking, or tapping noises from the rear are eliminated by replacing the trailing arm bushings (1995-97) or the shock absorber insulator assembly. (1997-98)"

Here's the full URL:
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2209.htm

weather turning towards a storm broken down road continue on coexistance imitating paradise
unlike any seen moist has been dancing crazy overcast ash grey wording constantly pushing pulling pushes away

sacred? you really are?
m'not scared
then what are you?

drew back a rusty knife guilt ladle pour it on understand i burn inside how to get out of here how do you get out of this natures revenge nature
cage craving wonder the worth of it scream at the top of your lungs so many times tried not to wonder

DocWhiplashJun-20-02 10:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
#10245, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 4

I dont think its the bumpstop. I think the spring might not be seated on the perch right because it happens even when I drive down the road without really even hitting a bump. I could be wrong though.

95 eclipse RS

14.80 @ 94mph with no turbo

mcgyvrJun-24-02 12:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#10246, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 5

could be the nuts on top of the strut, also some have have the bushing for the sway bars crack in half causeing the sway bar to hit the frame

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

pancitoJun-24-02 01:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#10247, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 6

The nut in top of the spring is thight as hell, and for my case i have an RS, so there is no Swaybar

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

proDMDJun-24-02 04:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
580 posts,
#10248, "RE: Need help. Old topic. Clunking with springs"
In response to Reply # 7

is the bumpstop cut in 1/2

AFX/UDP,AEM,AF/X 55mm TB,50 shot of NOS,Glenn's short shifter,17" tantrum,prokit KYB AGX,JL stealthbox sony headunit,audiobahn amp,M3 style mirrors,Blue leds,yellow fogs,reverse ind,w

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #10240 Previous topic | Next topic