Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9240
View in linear mode

Subject: "Q about AEM big brake kit.." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamXtremeRSMay-08-02 03:45 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9240, "Q about AEM big brake kit.."

Who has the kit on here? I was checking out RRE's website and the AEM big brake kit, and it looks like the pads that it takes are the stock size pads? Is this right? What can be the bennefit of a larger rotor without larger pad surface area? Is the kit really worth the money? I am deciding between the kit and the Powerslot rotors...TIA

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., mkerley, May-08-02 04:42 AM, #1
RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Moderatorjuan, May-08-02 05:03 AM, #2
      RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., vector_racing, May-08-02 05:59 AM, #3
      RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., wakebord99, May-08-02 01:26 PM, #4
           RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Eclipse97, May-08-02 01:42 PM, #5
                RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Teameclipse804, May-08-02 03:07 PM, #6
                     RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Moderatorjuan, May-09-02 12:26 PM, #7
                          RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., eclipsekaiser, May-10-02 04:32 AM, #8
                               RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Administratoradmin, May-11-02 10:10 AM, #11
                                    RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., eclipsekaiser, May-11-02 11:28 AM, #12
                                         RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., Administratoradmin, May-12-02 09:40 AM, #14
                                              RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., eclipsekaiser, May-13-02 04:15 AM, #15
RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., TeamMichael_97RS, May-10-02 03:46 PM, #9
RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., skinny_one, May-10-02 09:22 PM, #10
      RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.., HadesOmega, May-11-02 05:44 PM, #13

mkerleyMay-08-02 04:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9241, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 0

I believe the big brake kit comes with larger rotors and a caliper relocation spacer. Larger rotors will give you a longer moment arm from your pads to the center of rotation which gives you greater stopping power. Larger pads would arguably help as well, but contact area has never really been proven to affect friction. Friction force is determined by the normal force (piston) and the coefficient of friction (metal rotors to whatever type of pads you use).

anyways, enough theory. I think you can see the big brakes will help you stop faster even with the same pads.

Matt

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorjuanMay-08-02 05:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#9242, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 1

>I believe the big brake kit comes with larger rotors and a
>caliper relocation spacer.

yes.

>Larger rotors will give you a
>longer moment arm from your pads to the center of rotation
>which gives you greater stopping power.

yes.

>Larger pads would
>arguably help as well, but contact area has never really
>been proven to affect friction. Friction force is
>determined by the normal force (piston) and the coefficient
>of friction (metal rotors to whatever type of pads you use).

Yes. Main benefit of larger pads is that they manage heat better, AFAIK.

>anyways, enough theory. I think you can see the big brakes
>will help you stop faster even with the same pads.

I have the AEM FWD kit, front and rear. The biggest gain is the better braking modulation ability. It is much easier to hold things at impending lockup, and thus minimizing stopping distance.

For track purposes, the extra mass of the larger rotors will also delay the onset of brake fade. The cost of course is an increase in unsprung weight.

juan

vector_racingMay-08-02 05:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
393 posts,
#9243, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 2

umm, i like them

wakebord99May-08-02 01:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
130 posts,
#9244, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 2

>I have the AEM FWD kit, front and rear.

What do u mean, u have the FWD kit on both the front and the rear. The front and rear brakes are totally different, so how can
you install the front kit on the rear. I'm curious cuz i wanna do a rear conversion, and that would be great.

Also, can this kit fit into 16" wheels? the Powerstop brakes i have now look like there pushing the limits of my wheels, and they are
stock sizes.

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tooled crank, billet crower rods, and 8.5:1 JE pistons / Head ported and polished, 3 angled valve job
Power-stop brakes w/axis pads / Ebachi Pro lowering kit (1.8") / MSD DIS-2 ignition system w/turbo retard

Near Future:
Stand-alone fuel system / 550cc injectors, and fuel rail / TEC III fuel/ecu system / 17” Hart racing wheels / KYB AGX struts, w/ upgraded anti sway bars / Rear brake conversion (front to rear, Brembo in front)

Jay-
wakbrd99@aol.com

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tool

Eclipse97May-08-02 01:42 PM
Member since Dec 06th 2001
539 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9245, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 4

the thing that I always wonder about is.. if One of the Rotor gets Warped then what? get the whole kit again? or a saperate rotor is available? if so.. how much would that go for?

Good Luck

Teameclipse804May-08-02 03:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#9246, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 5

I think Juan meant he has the FWD kit (different that the AWD gsx kit). The FWD rotors are smaller. But they are different for the front and rear rotors (both are part of the kit for the FWD though). Also, if you get the kit from www.roadraceengineering.com, I heard most of the time they can get the rotor warrantied for you if you have any problems. You might wanna ask if u order it.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

ModeratorjuanMay-09-02 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#9247, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 6

Marcus got my back...

I have 11.75" FWD kit on the fronts (not the 12.5" AWD kit), and the standard 11.5" rear kit. See here for more info:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/aem/brakeinfo.htm

juan

eclipsekaiserMay-10-02 04:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#9248, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 7

yeah I'm waiting on Juan to part out his car....so that I can have the brakes... just messing wiht you Juan.

how was your trip?

-K-

AdministratoradminMay-11-02 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
100 posts,
#9249, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 8

not so fast there fella, I plan on keeping the car for a while still...

Trip was great. Too short though. I have decided that I want to be on vacation all the time, and not have to work again. Better start buying lotto tickets...

juan

eclipsekaiserMay-11-02 11:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#9250, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 11

hahahah sound good. Got some interesting pictures with European Chicks?

Go easy on my rotors will ya..

-K-

AdministratoradminMay-12-02 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
100 posts,
#9251, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 12

hehe.

Hard to get good pics with your girlfriend right there...

Besides, the weather was a little cool, so there wasn't much on display.

juan

eclipsekaiserMay-13-02 04:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#9252, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 14

tell me you didn't. you brought your girl with you on vacation....

thats why it is call vacation....to get away from everything and everybody

glad you had a good time.

-K-

TeamMichael_97RSMay-10-02 03:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#9253, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 0

Even if it's the same size pad yes it will increase stopping power. The physics of it, say that if you try to stop the rotating mass farther out it will be easier than trying to stop towards the center.

In case you don't belive me go to the play ground. and spin the mary-go-round. And try to stop it at the railing on theoutside edge. Then do it by trying to grab in farther towards the middle, andtell me which is easier. yes i know reachign the middle isharder, but bear with me, I tried to think of an example that would make sense... and it's late.

Una salus victus.

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All motor in the making.

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, Crane Fireball HI-6DI2, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730, Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: P&P Milled Head, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors & Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, SS Brake Lines

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

skinny_oneMay-10-02 09:22 PM
Member since Mar 03rd 2002
258 posts,
#9254, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 9

I have them and I feel a BIG increase in stopping power. I don't have to push the pedal as hard to slow down. They look so awesome too. They fill out just about all the space inside my wheels. I lust need to get my calipers painted.

- No Purchase Neccesary. Details Inside.

HadesOmegaMay-11-02 05:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#9255, "RE: Q about AEM big brake kit.."
In response to Reply # 10

if you want you can get the AEM kit with the DSM dual piston calipers it'll be a bigger pad and you'll have 2 pistons.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9240 Previous topic | Next topic