Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9236
View in linear mode

Subject: "brakes?!!" Previous topic | Next topic
bing001May-08-02 02:30 AM
Member since Feb 18th 2002
85 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9236, "brakes?!!"

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but when I brake at around 40 mph, I feel a wierd grind coming from my front wheels. It only happens between 40-35. I got it checked out, and they said it was alright and maybe brake dust. I suspect bs, because it shouldn't grind...

I'm wondering whether I might need new rotors

Any suggestions?

Former 420a owner
Former 98 GST owner
04 Lancer Evolution VIII

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wakebord99May-09-02 02:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
130 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9237, "RE: brakes?!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it a sound, or a feel?

I would guess that u prob need pads and rotors shaved.

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tooled crank, billet crower rods, and 8.5:1 JE pistons / Head ported and polished, 3 angled valve job
Power-stop brakes w/axis pads / Ebachi Pro lowering kit (1.8") / MSD DIS-2 ignition system w/turbo retard

Near Future:
Stand-alone fuel system / 550cc injectors, and fuel rail / TEC III fuel/ecu system / 17” Hart racing wheels / KYB AGX struts, w/ upgraded anti sway bars / Rear brake conversion (front to rear, Brembo in front)

Jay-
wakbrd99@aol.com

97' Eclipse RS (kinda)

Present mods:
HRC stage III turbo kit (12 psi street, 25 psi track) / HKS 2 1/2" cat back exhaust w/burnt cat / 16" wheels w/Yokohomo tires (215/40) / 420A engine w/ tool

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

bing001May-09-02 01:27 PM
Member since Feb 18th 2002
85 posts,
#9238, "RE: brakes?!!"
In response to Reply # 1

I feel it when I depress the brake pedal...

I think its the rotors

Over fall, I almost wrecked after this lady turned the wrong way down a one way street. I slammed on my brakes and since then, this happens...

Thanks for the reply though...

Former 420a owner
Former 98 GST owner
04 Lancer Evolution VIII

Phat99EclipseMay-09-02 04:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
203 posts,
#9239, "probably warped..."
In response to Reply # 2

Try to get a local brake shop take a look or turn them and see if it goes away... problem with that is that the brake rotors will always warp again... I found this out the hard way... First set warped after 5K miles... Satan had them turned under warranty... Had to get a set of PowerStop Crossdrilled cause OEM warped again after another 5K... Finally got fed up and bought the AEM Big Brake setup with out the 4 Pot Calipers and have never had a problem. Car has 70K miles (AEM on for the last 40K) and have been turned once (yes, you can have them turned...) and I still love to "stop short"...

Don Wood
'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2

'99 Eclipse GS Sports Edition
Star Stage 2
Greddy EVO Exhuast
AEM Big Brakes
Greddy Type S BOV
Pioneer DEH-P7200
Bazooka EL1500 running 2 MTX 10" Subs
Fosgate Separates throughout

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9236 Previous topic | Next topic