Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5567
View in linear mode

Subject: "AEM big brake kit?" Previous topic | Next topic
9D9 MITSU RSJan-11-02 05:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5567, "AEM big brake kit?"

I am interested in doing this in a few months. For the RS, do we need anything besides the rear kit to do this>? Or do we have to do the stock rear disc conversion first?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: AEM big brake kit?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-11-02 09:48 PM, #1
RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-12-02 06:46 AM, #2
      RE: AEM big brake kit?, jZa, Jan-12-02 08:17 AM, #3
           RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-12-02 04:31 PM, #4
                RE: AEM big brake kit?, thisismygs, Jan-13-02 07:43 AM, #5
                     RE: AEM big brake kit?, Teameclipse804, Jan-13-02 08:45 AM, #6
                          RE: AEM big brake kit?, thisismygs, Jan-13-02 01:13 PM, #7
                               RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-13-02 03:12 PM, #8
                                    RE: AEM big brake kit?, 1TuffRS, Jan-14-02 02:43 AM, #9
                                         RE: AEM big brake kit?, jZa, Jan-14-02 01:12 PM, #10
                                              RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-14-02 05:01 PM, #11
                                                   RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-14-02 05:01 PM, #12
                                                        RE: AEM big brake kit?, TeamMuRiX, Jan-15-02 05:21 AM, #13
                                                             RE: AEM big brake kit?, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jan-15-02 07:26 AM, #14

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-11-02 09:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5568, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 0

You'd have to do the entire drum-to-disc swap, except use the AEM components where applicable instead of the stock pieces listed.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

9D9 MITSU RSJan-12-02 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5569, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thought so. Why does the rear AEM kit say drum in disc? What's that mean? SO I need SS lines, and the dust cover and rear hub? That all?

jZaJan-12-02 08:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#5570, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 2

if you are getting their cheap kit (the ones thats like 400), you will need calipers, the kit retains stock calipers and has something so that the disc can mount to it. I don't think you need ss lines, since you are using the factory calipers anyway. Prolly a good investment for the lines, but i've heard of ss lines going bad though.

jZa

"real men don't ride stick"

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

9D9 MITSU RSJan-12-02 04:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5571, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 3

hell yeah. Cheap kit. I don't need a $2,000 brake system. It would be cool, but no need for it. I forgot to add the calipers. Thanks. So, ss lines aren't a good idea? I heard they help a lot.

thisismygsJan-13-02 07:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#5572, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 4

haven't researched this yet, so i don't know the full details. BUT...
i was thinking about upgrading to gsx calipers and getting that aem big brake kit for the gsx model and also getting the stainless steel brake lines.

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

Teameclipse804Jan-13-02 08:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#5573, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think you need 17's to fit the gsx calipers and big brake kit. Not sure though.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

thisismygsJan-13-02 01:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#5574, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 6

>I think you need 17's to fit the gsx calipers and big brake
>kit. Not sure though.

i second that thought. here's an article in speedoptions.com about the gsx aem big brake kit on a gs-t:
http://www.speedoptions.com/news_headline.asp?aID=278&ref=search&v=1&pg=0

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

9D9 MITSU RSJan-13-02 03:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5575, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 7

yup. I got 17's already tho.

1TuffRSJan-14-02 02:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5576, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 8

haha, me too. That was my plan as well, GSX big brake kit front and rear. With these rims my brakes look SOOO!! small. Plus something, somewhere is wrong with my brakes, dont know what it is, but if I brake even somewhat hard I start smelling my brakes and its annoying cuz besides that i can tell its not braking as hard as it once was

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

jZaJan-14-02 01:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#5577, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 9

about the ss lines, yes they do help, but i did a search on dsmtalk about them and read that they have a tendency to fail (which can very well cause an accident) due to the fact that they can't be inspected. I posted a recent topic in the general discussion forum of dsmtalk to see if anybody else know something, because some places (such as rre) carry DOT approved ones.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

9D9 MITSU RSJan-14-02 05:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5578, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 10

Well, whenever I do the rear conversion and the big rotor conversions, I will post pics and all. It's gonna be a few months. I gotta get sideskirts painted and installed, get tokico 5 ways. and then maybe a wing. After that, they are next on the list. Somewhere in between, I hope to do the afx pulley so I'll actually need that extra stopping power a lil more.

9D9 MITSU RSJan-14-02 05:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5579, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 11

I'll hold off on ss lines. Fuck brake failure.

TeamMuRiXJan-15-02 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#5580, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 12

SS line do not fail anymore than a stock line would. The SS lines offer a greater resistance to expansion which in turn provides a better brake pedal feel as they do not require as much fluid to fill. The problem noted on dsmbalk is that if a failure was to occur, it is much more difficult to locate the source of the failure as the SS will conceal the leak. That could be a bad situation if you were not to realize your fluid was leaking, but I am sure you would see puddles on the ground if something were to go wrong. This is generally true of any SS line for anything but it does not make them weaker.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

9D9 MITSU RSJan-15-02 07:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#5581, "RE: AEM big brake kit?"
In response to Reply # 13

I always thought ss would be stronger and more resistant to leaking than rubber.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5567 Previous topic | Next topic