Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #441
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Wheel Hop Propblem" Previous topic | Next topic
wolf221Jan-19-01 06:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#441, "Wheel Hop Propblem"

I am new to the 2gnt forum. So far I got alot of really good mods and suggestions from everyone on the site.

When ever I pull hard from the line or when it is slick outside I hop the wheels. It has gotten so bad that I busted a hanger on my muffler. Now when I hop the tires I get a big bang in the back from the muffler hitting my pannel. Is there an easy fix for this or do I have to beef up my suspention?

99 Eclipse GS
rsadelski@home.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
TeamMichael_97RSJan-19-01 11:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#442, "RE: Wheel Hop Propblem"
In response to Reply # 0

First fix the muffler hanger.

Then you have a few options.

- AF/X Solid front motor mount, very good at reducing wheel hop but you get a lot of vibration in your interior especially over 5k.
- Prothane Motor mounts it's a hard urathane insert ffor front and back and a replacement bushing for the two sides. Also suppose to vibrate pretty bad but not as bad as the solid mount.
- Energy Suspension a slightly softer urathane than the prothane mount and it only has two inserts for the front and rear.

If you have problems finding these anywhere or have any more questions let us know.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Jan-19-01 11:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#443, "don't take this the wrong way"
In response to Reply # 0

My opinion on the matter is if you're wheel hopping, then you are launching too hard. Take it easy. Improving the launch will do you much more good than going crazy with suspension or motor mounts.

Whenever you launch (let's say you're drag racing) and you spin your tires, you are getting a bad launch. You want to try NOT spinning the tires and will get off the line faster with no wheel hop.

If you are wheel hopping, then you are launching with alot more power than you would need to just spin the tires, so you are REALLY pushing it too hard.

I used to have some wheel hop problems when I first drag raced because I was launching wrong, now I have no problems because I launch much easier and my 60' times are alot better too. I now run consistant 2.2's and my best is 2.239, on stock RS rims and tires with no tire spin at all with that fastest 60' run.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

VxROxVJan-19-01 10:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#444, "RE: Wheel Hop Propblem"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheel Hop... all i can say is, WATCH OUT!!! You will mess up the spider gears in your tranny and will cause it to collapse and punch a whole in your tranny... Happened to me couple times... Inserts helped a little... Solid mounts is too rough for everyday driving... if you really want wheel hop to go away and grip good, get an LSD or ghetto rig it and weld your differential...

RO

Team96NOS_EclipseJan-20-01 07:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
294 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#445, "RE: Wheel Hop Propblem"
In response to Reply # 3

I got rid of most of my wheel hop with a front strut tower brace. That would be the first thing I would get.
96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

1997 Eclipse RS
1991 Eclipse GSX
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5 turbo
(tinker car)
1996 Eclipse base model RIP

wolf221Jan-22-01 12:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
21 posts,
#446, "RE: Wheel Hop Propblem"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you all for your comments. I think I will go with the tower bar and see what happens from there. If need be I will beef up my suspention as a couple of you have mentioned. As for taking off to hard well I just have to work on that I guess.

Thanks again
Rich

99 Eclipse GS
rsadelski@home.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #441 Previous topic | Next topic