Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27671
View in linear mode

Subject: "Humming noise in driveline..any suggestions?" Previous topic | Next topic
WhoddaJul-28-05 03:16 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2004
80 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27671, "Humming noise in driveline..any suggestions?"

Hey group,
I searched the forums and after sifting through the results I could not find anything exactly like I have.

I am getting this humming sound coming from what seems like the front passenger side.

Details are:

1. Starts humming around 40 mph and when I increase speed so does the hum.
2. I have pushed in the clutch and revved the engine. This does not change the frequency of the hum. Only speed changes affect this.
3. The hum is present while driving straight or turning right. As soon as I turn left off of a straight line the hum is gone.
4. Vehicle is a 98 Talon with 162K miles. It has the original driveline (ie shafts and cv joints) It has been humming for about a week and sounds like it has gotten louder in that timeframe. I parked it until I can work on her this weekend.

The power steering works fine and the reserviour is full and does not need refilling.

Any Ideas? Has anyone else experienced this condition? I was thinking either wheel bearing or Axle Shafts/CV joints.

I had read the vibration faq posted by WickedESI (post #65139 for those interested)and it stated the Axle's have a life expectancy of 100k-125k. That would seem right with my mileage.

Sorry for the winded post but I wanted to try to give as many details as possible

Any suggestions is appreciated

98 Talon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mcgyvrJul-29-05 06:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27676, "RE: Humming noise in driveline..any suggestions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheel bearing or cv joints

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WhoddaAug-14-05 02:07 PM
Member since Mar 01st 2004
80 posts,
#27769, "RE: Humming noise in driveline..any suggestions? UPDATE !!"
In response to Reply # 1

Just an update for anyone with a similiar problem and was wondering what I found out.

The problem turned out to be a bad wheel bearing on the drivers side.

Nice and quiet agian....well as quiet as a Talon can be

98 Talon

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27671 Previous topic | Next topic